Zimo decoders turning functions off when removed from track

RichSt

I have a couple of locos with zimo next 18 decoders. One is dcc sound. I've found that if the loco loses power or if I end up with a short anywhere on the layout, these decoders seem to turn all of the functions off completely, meaning I have to put all the functions how I want them again. This is especially annoying with the sound decoder! The other decoder is used on a fixed HST and is in a consist so it's also annoying but not as much as the sound one. It does seem isolated to just the Zimo next 18 decoders. I do have some 6 pin zimo decoders but they are in locos with lights or sound so I don't know how if they would do the same as the next 18 ones

Does anybody know of a way to stop this happening, I want it so that if there is a loss of power to the loco this doesn't turn all The functions off?

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I have some locos fitted with Zimo MX635R non-sound decoders, and on powering up the layout, the lights don't come on, even if they were on during the last time they were run. It's as if the chip doesn't remember the 'last use' settings.

More of an irritation than anything, but it'd still be nice to know if there's a solution!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand that there is a CV that you can set to avoid this. It is something to do with the (decoder) refresh rate. I'll see it I can find which CV it is and update this post.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2021 at 17:13, Ray H said:

I understand that there is a CV that you can set to avoid this. It is something to do with the (decoder) refresh rate. I'll see it I can find which CV it is and update this post.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the relevant details. Sorry.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi,

As far as I know this can't be done on Zimo decoders, you imply that this doesn't happen on other decoders, which others do you have that remember their settings after power has been turned off?

Regards,

John P

The only other next 18 ones I have are Dapol and they are fine with it, as are the 6 pin gaugemaster ones, sounds like it might just be something I'll have to put up with. I'm not so bothered l about l li turn power off, it's more l when it loses pick up from the track

Edited by RichSt

• RMweb Gold

ESU decoders have the ability to remember what functions/speed was set when they lose power.

Don't recall ever seeing an option for it anywhere for Zimo's though.

11 hours ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

As far as I know this can't be done on Zimo decoders, you imply that this doesn't happen on other decoders, which others do you have that remember their settings after power has been turned off?

Regards,

John P

Pretty much all my other decoders - ESU, Tsunami, TCS, Lenz, Digitrax - they all put the lights back on when the loco is next used, if the lights were left on at last use. But not Zimo.

I use an NCE Powercab; I don't think it's anything to do with the issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Pretty much all my other decoders - ESU, Tsunami, TCS, Lenz, Digitrax - they all put the lights back on when the loco is next used, if the lights were left on at last use. But not Zimo.

I use an NCE Powercab; I don't think it's anything to do with the issue.

I have a number of Bachmann EMUs and DEMUs fitted with both Lenz (Silver21+) and Zimo (MX634 and MX638) decoders and don't have any problems with the lights not coming back on after a power cycle. Command station is a Lenz LZV200. 

Wonder if it would be worth contacting the UK distributor -  https://zimo-digital.co.uk/.

• RMweb Premium

Now it's been mentioned, I have a feeling that it might have been an NCE throttle setting that causes a refresh every 0.25 seconds (or similar).

Again, I'll check the PowerCab manual later and report back if I can find it.

• RMweb Premium

It is the penultimate option in the (NCE) PowerCab's Set Cmd Station option although the manual does say that it only affects function f0 to F8 inclusive.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RichSt said:

it's more l when it loses pick up from the track

In that case, the decoder is not storing the function settings and the command station is not periodically repeating the state of the functions.

The DCC specs are a bit poor on this. F13 and above are explicitly not required to be repeated. Decoders are not required, but are recommended, to save the state of these functions.

For F12 and below the spec is silent on whether function packets should be repeated by the command station. Only basic speed and direction packets are required to be regularly repeated. Some system do repeat the function settings, others may not. Similarly there is no required behaviour for decoders.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ray H said:

It is the penultimate option in the (NCE) PowerCab's Set Cmd Station option although the manual does say that it only affects function f0 to F8 inclusive.

Cheers Ray, every day is a school day. Will switch that on next time I get the Powercab out :)

It is in the NMRA spec for decoders that they should turn all the functions off when they get a reset packet, and command stations should send a reset packet when you power them up and after a stop event.

Now, some command stations will do this, and some decoders will do this, generally European ones, and some don't generally American ones.

Generally command stations will be default refresh the speed and group 1 functions F0 to F4, but you will usually have to configure your command station to refresh group 2 functions F5 to F12, and group 3 functions F13 to F28.

You might be able to reconfigure your Zimo decoder to behave like an American decoder, but it is usually best to deal with the problem in the command station.