British N Gauge Railway Modelling (issue No.4)

grahame

This is advance announcement about the publication of a new print magazine entitled ‘British N Gauge Railway Modelling’. It will be a full-size A4 format full colour magazine with a relatively short print run and is a private hobbyist self-published project. There will be no advertisements or supporting financial sponsorship and it is produced on a non-profit basis. The intention is to provide N gauge enthusiasts with a quality publication that contains interesting and inspirational articles, feature layouts and modelling projects, all exclusively about British 1:148 N gauge.

•             60 pages

•             A4 size and format

•             Full colour throughout

•             No advertisements

•             Inspirational photographs

•             Modelling projects

•             ‘How to’ articles

•             Layout features

•             Modelling hints and tips

2120430324_MBNGRMcover.jpg.f3dc507496c5049afa0b4a1ab67de713.jpg

Currently it is at the printers and copies will hopefully be received later in the coming week. It will be available to order from ebay  - posted to UK addresses only. I'll add the details, including the contents, of when and how it can be ordered.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

Not at the moment. I'll see how this issue goes first. A problem with taking subscription is that you need to 'hold' people's money for future issues and are obligated to produce issues to a timetable.

Used to buy your previous incarnation of a N Gauge magazine but unfortunately this new one will only be available to UK addresses, sure there could be demand from abroad.

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I hope you'll reconsider making it available as a PDF.

I did consider it but I don't have the knowledge or technology to produce downloads that can't be copied and circulated (like a pdf) that the commercial magazines offer, and arrange the send outs. And it's just not worth the risk when it's produced on a non-profit basis and costs need to be covered. Besides the print file was massive (over 1.1 gigabits) and even compressed is larger than most email will allow. So, sorry, but it won't be available as a pdf.

• Friendly/supportive 4

49 minutes ago, Dancess said:

Used to buy your previous incarnation of a N Gauge magazine but unfortunately this new one will only be available to UK addresses, sure there could be demand from abroad.

I'm sure there is a demand from overseas but unfortunately current overseas mailing is expensive, very unreliable and a hassle.

Apparently there's lack of postal carrying flights due to covid. There's extended transit times to some destinations, including Australia but that is also partly due to their own internal mail issues. The US PS are imposing extra final delivery costs to counter the deeply subsidised post from China. And there are reported issues between the UK and EU. Consequently the unreliability is not worth taking a risk on until it improves.

Some, although far from all ordered, of the final printed magazine have arrived today. I'm very happy how they have been produced and will proceed to list some for sale. However, first I need to get some complimentary copies (promised to those who helped by providing photos) posted.

DSC01876red.jpg.476c3e235a03996032cb686a0cf14d72.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That looks very good, well done Graham for putting your money where your mouth is  and producing something that you believe in.

I hope you sell all that you wish to and enjoy the experience from all points of view!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived today and my impression is that this is an excellent magazine, and one that I would buy future copies of.   I do not normally buy railway magazines, mainly as some of them are just expensive sales catalogues with a few articles interspersed within all the adverts.  This magazine is different, containing 57 pages, plus covers and contents page, of dedicated modelling info.  The paper is high quality stock and the photos are bright and very clear indeed, a real asset when trying to work out what goes where.

The content detail is widespread, with subjects covering locos and rolling stock as would be expected, kit building, scenics, scratchbuilding, casting and the all important "how to" articles.  I have already seen a couple of items which have inspired me to have a go at.

If this magazine goes into full publication with a subscription then I shall sign up for one straight away.   Thank you Grahame for your time and effort in producing a quality magazine that suits my modelling needs.

Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1