British N Gauge Railway Modelling (issue No.4)

grahame

• RMweb Gold

There was a time a couple of years ago when the N Gauge Society Journal was like that. Though there may be problems getting sufficient quality material — I note that Steve Flint, being interviewed on Warley MRC's YouTube channel a month back, put out a call for more N gauge layout articles for RM…

BTW, there is an excellent article in the most recent BRM on Ollie Reading's Wenlock. ISTR it's been covered in the modelling press before, but the photos in this one are really outstanding.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Clarification

Mine arrived this morning and I'm very impressed.  I've only skimmed through so far but, there's a good and varied selection of 'How to' articles along with some good layout and product features.  I'll be particularly interested to read more on London Bridge - I'd been keenly following developments in the NGS Journal when Grahame was Editor and will be very happy to read more.  I'd always been fairly ambivalent about the A4 v A5 debate, but this (A4) magazine is as persuasive an argument as I can imagine for the Society to upsize - visually it's a big improvement. 

It seems like it's selling very well so I hope there will be further issues in due course.  If there is - Grahame, would you publish a track plan for London Bridge?

Mark

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, grahame said:

They're gone and another batch is up. To save me continually providing a link for each batch, to locate what is currently available it's just a matter of typing 'n gauge magazine' in the eBay search for anything box.

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived today, only ordered it on Monday. Not actually read it yet but for those wondering it's got decent quality paper. Covers are good and thick with a bit of gloss shine front/back. Pictures inside seem to be of decent quality and rendering.

Seems to be a mix of content from some layouts, kitbashing, tips on building in multiple different materials; card, resin, plastic etc.

One minor critique, I'm not a huge fan of the red background/yellow bubble font section headers.

It's nice to see a dedicated N magazine, although N is a less popular scale it sometimes feels a little lost in other media. Maybe that's due to fewer modellers = less content so let's see how this gets on.

Not read it cover to cover but what I have has been very good, the biggest thing for me is it’s in A4 format, so much better to hold, read and good size pictures too. 

whenever I read the n gauge journal I felt like I was browsing through ikea instructions. ( nothing wrong with content just size of magazine) 

Thankyou for the work you’ve put in Graeme, hopefully not a one off. 

cheers 

Graham 

• Agree 3

• grahame changed the title to New N Gauge Magazine
On 16/06/2021 at 21:03, shanks522 said:

Not read it cover to cover but what I have has been very good, the biggest thing for me is it’s in A4 format, so much better to hold, read and good size pictures too. 

Thanks. I agree with the format size of A4. I feel that it is the way to go for most magazines as it allows larger and clearer images, particularly of details, to be used. Hopefully, those who get to see this new magazine will appreciate just how much better a 'normal/usual' sized magazine, such as 'N Gauge Now', 'Railway Modeller', 'BRM', etc., (which are all at least A4 size), is, for even a small modelling scale like N gauge. I hope everyone who has ordered and received a copy enjoys it.

I did pitch A4 to the NGS committee for the NGS Journal and produced a mock up (albeit just a four page one) for them of how the Journal could look as an A4 publication and with it being at no extra cost, but they decided against it (although it was a close vote).

Nonetheless that is not the reason for producing and publishing this 'British N Gauge Railway Modelling' magazine. It’s about sharing my enjoyment of N gauge modelling, photography and magazine print production with other enthusiasts. And hopefully promoting the scale, plus effectively improving on and signing off my N’spirations series of magazines.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mine was waiting for me when I got back very delayed from holiday on Friday (thankyou) but I was straight back into my 12hr shifts yesterday so haven't had chance to read anything properly yet but I'm looking forward to the articles on the Inter Frigo fish van construction, the casting techniques and the Turbot which I had to redo as my first effort came out too wide initially.

Whilst some of the subjects have been covered on here in Grahame's own threads it's nice to be able to see a full continuous, well illustrated, printed text which tells the whole story in one go.

Like the A4 format. :good_mini:

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VanBasten said:

Congratulations, Grahame, sorry I got the news only this morning, very interested, is it still possible to get a copy (via e-bay, or by paying it directly to you, I live in Italy), thanks,

ciao

They are available on ebay to order but currently, unfortunately, I'm not posting to addresses outside the UK. Overseas mailing is expensive, very unreliable and a hassle and I'm the one who ends up out of pocket for non-deliveries (including the expensive postage). Consequently it is not worth taking a risk on until things improve. Even here, in the UK, deliveries can be erratic due to post office staff catching covid and having to isolate.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread - apparently there's lack of postal carrying flights due to covid. There's extended transit times to some destinations, including Australia but that is also partly due to their own internal mail issues. The US PS are imposing extra final delivery costs to counter the deeply subsidised post from China. And there are reported issues between the UK and EU, plus the hassle of completing a customs declaration form for each one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't model in n gauge anymore but liked the front cover so much thought i would get a copy. Good news is you can do guest checkout on ebay which i did not realise was an option till just now as i quit ebay some time back.

• Like 1