Help Picking a RTR Chassis

Hi, I am in the process of scratchbuilding a Caley 652 over in the Kit & Scratch section. The prototype is 7'9"+9'0" which equates to about 31mm+36mm in 4mm scale.

I am not aware of any RTR chassis's that fit that exactly but what is the closest out there? I imagine that I have a margin of error of a couple millimetres.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matti

G'day, Matti8,

The use of RTR chassis for kits scratchbuilds is a time-honoured strategy. Where feasible, I continue to do so and find this can make my projects much more affordable - especially if the chassis has come via a second-hand purchase.

Over the years, I have compiled a long list of loco wheel spacings, with a view to using whatever chassis come to hand from time to time for models of locos that take my fancy. From that list, I have found the following that may be of some use to you.

LNER J6:      7'3" + 9'0"

LNER N2:    7'3" + 9'0"

LNER N7:    7'6" + 8'9"

LNER K3:    7'6" + 8'9"

LNER J50:   7'3"+ 9'0"

LNER J11:   8'1" + 9'0"

The above are dimensions of actual locos.

RTR ones may coincide, but it's always best to check. Some RTR ones, not as close as those above include:

Tri-ang/Hornby 0-6-0:  7'9" + 8'3"

Bachmann Jinty 0-6-0: 8'0" + 8'6"

No doubt others will add to the above.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

Hello Matti

I've been following your builds with interest and I'm a massive fan of using RTR chassis and my Jumbo is on a Hornby (ex Thomas the tank engine) chassis and you can fit 20mm Romford/Markets straight on the chassis if you order the Hornby sized axles or on the Jumbo I just left the original wheels on as the Hornby wheels with there thick rims and flanges look almost like 20mm dispite being 18mm. I put it along side a friend's kit built Jumbo with a kit chassis and unless you knew it doesn't leap out at you.

My Caley 782 tank is on a Bachmann Pannier chassis and the 104 tank is sat on a modified Hornby chassis converted to a 0-4-4 but that took a bit of butchery. I've also used the B12 chassis the old M7 chassis and I'm working on some Highland railway locos for which the old Triang Princes chassis is a good starting point.

The biggest problem I've found is the motor hight as the Caley locos are sometimes slightly lower but the round top firebox has had me scratching my head a few times and in some instances I've changed the motor for a small can like (I think) the N20

Like Rob I've also over the years built up a long list of model chassis wheel bases and wheel size.

Good luck Steve

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, Matti8,

The use of RTR chassis for kits scratchbuilds is a time-honoured strategy. Where feasible, I continue to do so and find this can make my projects much more affordable - especially if the chassis has come via a second-hand purchase.

Over the years, I have compiled a long list of loco wheel spacings, with a view to using whatever chassis come to hand from time to time for models of locos that take my fancy. From that list, I have found the following that may be of some use to you.

LNER J6:      7'3" + 9'0"

LNER N2:    7'3" + 9'0"

LNER N7:    7'6" + 8'9"

LNER K3:    7'6" + 8'9"

LNER J50:   7'3"+ 9'0"

LNER J11:   8'1" + 9'0"

The above are dimensions of actual locos.

RTR ones may coincide, but it's always best to check. Some RTR ones, not as close as those above include:

Tri-ang/Hornby 0-6-0:  7'9" + 8'3"

Bachmann Jinty 0-6-0: 8'0" + 8'6"

No doubt others will add to the above.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Rob

Thank you, Rob. That's quite helpful indeed. The Hornby N2 and J50 both have badly placed motors. However I do wonder if the Lima J50 has a prototypical wheelbase because that could be a option. The  Bachmann J11, after looking at the chassis, looks to be the best candidate so far. Again, thanks.

3 hours ago, Londontram said:

Hello Matti

I've been following your builds with interest and I'm a massive fan of using RTR chassis and my Jumbo is on a Hornby (ex Thomas the tank engine) chassis and you can fit 20mm Romford/Markets straight on the chassis if you order the Hornby sized axles or on the Jumbo I just left the original wheels on as the Hornby wheels with there thick rims and flanges look almost like 20mm dispite being 18mm. I put it along side a friend's kit built Jumbo with a kit chassis and unless you knew it doesn't leap out at you.

My Caley 782 tank is on a Bachmann Pannier chassis and the 104 tank is sat on a modified Hornby chassis converted to a 0-4-4 but that took a bit of butchery. I've also used the B12 chassis the old M7 chassis and I'm working on some Highland railway locos for which the old Triang Princes chassis is a good starting point.

The biggest problem I've found is the motor hight as the Caley locos are sometimes slightly lower but the round top firebox has had me scratching my head a few times and in some instances I've changed the motor for a small can like (I think) the N20

Like Rob I've also over the years built up a long list of model chassis wheel bases and wheel size.

Good luck Steve

Good to hear from you Steve if anyone knows about this sort of thing it's you. My first thought was to use a generic Hornby 0-6-0 chassis. Out of all the ones you've kept track of does it seem to be the closest?

Matti

If you are looking at a Lima J50 chassis be aware that the cab was full of motor. Something the GWR 94XX and 45XX also suffered with.

I'm afraid the chassis was the worst part of all of them. Probably the reason they never reappeared.

it's virtually this, with the rest of the body crammed with weights.

https://www.hampshiremodels.co.uk/products/lima-oo-gauge-0-6-0-loco-chassis

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

If you are looking at a Lima J50 chassis be aware that the cab was full of motor. Something the GWR 94XX and 45XX also suffered with.

I'm afraid the chassis was the worst part of all of them. Probably the reason they never reappeared.

it's virtually this, with the rest of the body crammed with weights.

https://www.hampshiremodels.co.uk/products/lima-oo-gauge-0-6-0-loco-chassis

Jason

Hi Jason, thanks for the heads up. I could swap the motor although it looks like I would have to put a worm gear on the axle as well. Do you think that is a realistic option? As I've never owned one I'm not aware of any other possible restrictions.

Matti

Matti8,  just in case you are unaware, the centre axle on the Lima J50 is not connected to the coupling rods, it only free-wheels along with the outer axles doing all the work. To make matters worse, the centre wheels only have a plain boss and do not have provision to accept a crank pin from the coupling rod. 

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes. I wouldn't bother with one. Unless you had a Lima model you want for sentimental or collection reasons.

Even if you got one cheap you would probably be better looking at something from Bachmann, Hornby, etc.

ISTR that the dimensions were based on the GWR 0-6-0PT so would be the same as a Mainline/Bachmann 57XX which are quite common and are reasonably easy to get spares for.

Funnily enough the Lima diesel shunter which had a similar chassis but with outside frames and cranks was pretty good.

Jason

• Like 1

Alright, thank you. It is obviously not a good option. I also see that it is made of plastic - and if that's the case I'd be better off making a chassis myself!

The Bachmann J11 looks like a treat but theres seems to be no spares available. Was hoping I would be able to piece together a chassis that way. I'd really hate to buy the whole loco. Hmm...