Ransomes and Rapier 70ft Turntable

T30RRA

• 1 month later...

kind of answered my own question. 70ft real dia. divided by 43.5, gives 490.423 once converted to mm, divided by 360 degrees is 1.3622mm per degree so 4 degrees is 5.449 or 5.45mm spacings nearest damn it.

You might want to revisit your flawed mathematics! The scale of the error in your calculation has been calculated to over 50 trillion places of decimals!

Dave

Edited by daifly

50 minutes ago, daifly said:

You might want to revisit your flawed mathematics! The scale of the error in your calculation has been calculated to over 50 trillion places of decimals!

Dave

So what should the spacings be? I could very easily be wrong, trying to work out a formula that I don't normally use late at night is not a great idea.

The approximate length of the race rail is pi*d. So, for a 70" diameter turntable, (the race rail is not quite at the extremity so the diameter of the race rail will be slightly less) the circumference is pi*70' on the prototype. For a 7mm scale model, this becomes pi*70*12(inches)*25.4(inches to mm)/43.5(scaled). That's 1540mm. With a chair every 4deg as you propose, that's 17.11mm chair centres not 5.45mm!

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daifly said:

The approximate length of the race rail is pi*d. So, for a 70" diameter turntable, (the race rail is not quite at the extremity so the diameter of the race rail will be slightly less) the circumference is pi*70' on the prototype. For a 7mm scale model, this becomes pi*70*12(inches)*25.4(inches to mm)/43.5(scaled). That's 1540mm. With a chair every 4deg as you propose, that's 17.11mm chair centres not 5.45mm!

Dave

Thanks. The 4 degrees came from someone else on here who was building one. I appreciate the help. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Marked out one side of the the turntable bridge for strengtheners (blue lines) and walkway supports (red lines), marked the end of the winding platform as the measures are different and then started adding the strengtheners which takes a bloody long time

20211229_220203.jpg

20211230_000423.jpg

• Like 2