"Poundland" Trees

• RMweb Gold

They look ok as formal ornamental garden trees, which to be fair is what they are intended to be, but might have a role as background as Ray suggests, or be the basis for working up into more realistic tree with added foliage, cuts into the profile, or flock powders to roughen and 'naturalise' the outlines.   They might be a cheap source of cut off bits of foliage as well; good spot, Ray!

While you're in Poundland, check out the cheapnasty childrens' paint brush sets with stiff nylon bristles.  They are hopeless as paint brushes, but a set will provide a lifetime's provision for sweeping out crud from flangeways and similar layout housekeeping.  I am also a fan of Pound Shop superglue, which holds things together well enough but can be easily snapped apart should the need arise, a perfectly cromulent method of attaching loco bodies to chassis blocks when you have lost one of the silly little screws or are fitting a chassis not originally intended (Bachmann 57xx mech under Hornby 2721, for example).  Proper superglue can then be reserved for proper superglue jobs where some permanence is needed.  Acrylic paints in tubes for watering down are useful as well, though colours tend to be a bit primary.  And the strings of led garden or party battery lights are good for internal building lighting; mine have been cut off from the battery boxes and are powered by a 3v mains psu.  You can get similar solar powered strings from Aldi/Lidl.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

They look ok as formal ornamental garden trees, which to be fair is what they are intended to be, but might have a role as background as Ray suggests, or be the basis for working up into more realistic tree with added foliage, cuts into the profile, or flock powders to roughen and 'naturalise' the outlines.   They might be a cheap source of cut off bits of foliage as well; good spot, Ray!

While you're in Poundland, check out the cheapnasty childrens' paint brush sets with stiff nylon bristles.  They are hopeless as paint brushes, but a set will provide a lifetime's provision for sweeping out crud from flangeways and similar layout housekeeping.  I am also a fan of Pound Shop superglue, which holds things together well enough but can be easily snapped apart should the need arise, a perfectly cromulent method of attaching loco bodies to chassis blocks when you have lost one of the silly little screws or are fitting a chassis not originally intended (Bachmann 57xx mech under Hornby 2721, for example).  Proper superglue can then be reserved for proper superglue jobs where some permanence is needed.  Acrylic paints in tubes for watering down are useful as well, though colours tend to be a bit primary.  And the strings of led garden or party battery lights are good for internal building lighting; mine have been cut off from the battery boxes and are powered by a 3v mains psu.  You can get similar solar powered strings from Aldi/Lidl.

Don't forget to look out for the cheapo, battery train sets in there as well! 

22 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Yes, best to look out for these so that you can not touch them with a bargepole…

Who needs a bargepole? I touch them with plasticard and Poundland superglue! Get 'em touched!

20210124_125411.jpg

20210131_191754.jpg

20210204_164208.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

7 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi ray,

Are they a pound each or do you buy them in a set of 2 or more.

I omitted to notice, I would say either way the price is ok - I might pop in later and get more info.

I think I was so abashed by the display on the adjacent shelf that I hastened to a less "liberal" shop! :

IMG_20210605_113641999.jpg.80f180365853142975b522cc5c010469.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's a mushroom.

If you think it's something else than a visit to the doctor may be in order.....

:prankster:

They do sell "toys" but they are in discrete packaging by the till with the things like contraceptives and headache tablets.

Jason

I'm not going to ask how you know this, Jason...

4 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'm not going to ask how you know this, Jason...

Keeping my eyes open. I'm like a ninja knowing every item they have in stock....

Oh, and the fact it was in all the papers and on the TV including on Have I Got News For You.... :prankster:

It was something about them making a ripoff of the Rampant Rabbit that cost something like a fiver instead of the normal price of about £50. Called something like the B**king Bunny. :laugh:

I don't think Poundland took off locally, there are one or two, but all the discount stores around here is Home & Bargain or B&M. Loads of them about. Good as they sell the proper brands rather than own brand stuff. 

Jason

• Like 1