Stripping paint from model figures

• RMweb Gold

From my experience Dettol does different things to different paints and different plastics. Some end up with a tacky surface and loss of detail. You only have two items to strip, so testing on a non-essential similar surface probably isn't viable. I personally would paint over the existing colours. From the photo the surface detail looks fairly limited, so you wouldn't lose a lot by over-painting. If you can see more detail under the paint then you might want to find a suitable stripper, but consider how much detail you will be able to see from your normal viewing distance and how prominent they will be in your overall scene.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

I agree with Phil, maybe just give them a once over with an aerosol primer and proceed from there.

A few years ago I came across a lot of my old (British made) Hornby figures and detailing parts from my first "train set" (benches, luggage wagon, incline signs etc, pre 1980) - my childhood efforts at painting and gluing were a bit Pollock-y, so I chucked the whole unfortunate bunch into a bowl of white spirit and went out.  On checking the bowl the next day, I found that the plastic had swollen up, softened into a spongy rubber and gone sticky - to add insult to injury, the paint and glue hadn't shifted! 

• Like 1

years ago when i painted Subbuteo figures to a standard i cant even see now, i used to place them upside down in a tub of Modelstrip overnight.

On removal, a quick brush under tunning water removed every trace of paint and had no effect on the plastic.

I'm fairly certain they were styrene.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Are they white metal or plastic?

Is it enamel or acrylic paint?

They don't seem to be highly detailed, would it not be ok to just paint over them?

Plastic, and the I believe that the paint was factory applied so I assume enamel (the figures were given to me by someone having a clear-out)

Yes, it would be okay to paint over but I  hadn’t thought if it until old Phil suggested it. It’s all on hold at the moment anyway because fences (outside) need painting and borders need weeding!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tony Davis said:

Plastic, and the I believe that the paint was factory applied so I assume enamel (the figures were given to me by someone having a clear-out)

Yes, it would be okay to paint over but I  hadn’t thought if it until old Phil suggested it. It’s all on hold at the moment anyway because fences (outside) need painting and borders need weeding!

I should look at your Profile Photo - mine looks a lot more youthful than your's! Mind you, mine is probably from 5+years ago.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I should look at your Profile Photo - mine looks a lot more youthful than your's! Mind you, mine is probably from 5+years ago.

Oops! Sorry Phil, for some reason I thought that you were “old udders” and when I checked I saw that you were Phil - young Phil I should say!, and corrected it, but it appears I hadn’t deleted the “old” bit! 

My apologies, no offence intended!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My paint stripper of choice, at least in the world of model railways, is an ultrasonic bath and a suitable cleaning fluid - in my case this is usually Allendale Electronic's ceneral purpose concentrated cleaning fluid, used at 10% to hottish water.  I've found this takes enamel paints off metal and plastics without any damage to the bodywork.  I've no idea whether it would work on acrylics.

At the back of one of my storage drawers I've got some very old Airfix 4mm figures painted a long time ago with enamel paints.  I popped a few of them in my smaller ultrasonic bath (purchased from Messrs Lidl), added the hottish water and cleaning fluid, and gave it two 8-minute bursts.  Result?  Paint removed, figures largely clean, any stubborn bits of paint removed with a quick toothbrush scrub.

DT

• Like 1

I discovered that Modelstrip is still actually available direct from the manufacturers, Strippers Paint Removers. I called them and they told me the person they used to manufacture for is no longer trading however they still sell it but it's under their name of Kling Strip. They sell trial packs which are 250ml. I found it a good size for my purpose. I still find it the most effective way to remove paint from my models.

https://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/product/kling-strip-trial-pack/

• Informative/Useful 1