Indiana Jones filming on NYMR

birdseyecircus

Hmmm, interesting, I don't think real Reichsbahn locos were as garishly decorated as the 9F, but I guess we'll have to see the context.

I Googled Indiana Jones 5, which like so many films is very late and will only begin shooting in June.  Harrison Ford will be in it (he is getting on a bit though).  The plot is supposed to take place after Crystal Skull, so the '60s.  Hard to see how a swastika emblazoned loco and train will fit.  Perhaps there are flashbacks.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a855613/indiana-jones-5-cast-release-date-plot-news-trailer-title-harrison-ford/

John

• Like 1

If they’d stopped at the cab side insignia, it wouldn’t be too far off, but then everything else about the train shouts ‘British’, so maybe it’s possible to be too picky.

I quite like the ‘Saturday morning pictures’ quality of the earlier IJ films, so let’s hope this one is worth watching.

PS: did you notice that they’ve given the loco a plausible number for a WW2 2-10-0. Pity they didn’t take the smoke deflectors off for the duration.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, brossard said:

The wheels should probably be red too.

I wondered about that, but I'm not sure they were when they were churned out during the war. One preserved in "original" condition is plain dark grey, top to toe. They didn't have smoke deflectors either at that stage, I think, although the preserved "original" has them, which is confusing.

13 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

If the film is as bad as the previous installment,

Indeed. I was careful to say that I enjoyed the earlier ones, meaning not that one.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

IMO 1 and 3 are classics.

4 well above 2. Whilst it does go a bit nonsensical at the end it doesn't have the annoying Short Round ruining a reasonable film.  Also has John Hurt and Ray Winston in it.

If you like the "Saturday Morning" feel give the TV series a go. They were meant to be spin off films starring River Phoenix, but his death put paid to that so they made a TV series instead.

Good little stories with a Boys Own feel. The way he meets people from history has a classic Doctor Who feel about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The suspension of disbelief is probably a good way to watch these!

Rather like watching Vera when you know where scenes were shot and the distance between them. However Get Carter set the standard!

You mean it's not possible to run from Blyth to Blackhall in a few minutes!  

Getting back on topic what is with this country having to dress British locos up as continental ones isn't there any over there?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cool video, thanks for posting!

I'm guessing these movies would be set in a complete alternate history now. Seeing as Harrison Ford is currently 78 years old, Indiana Jones would be a similar age in the 1970s, so possibly Nazism re-emerges in the 1970s in the movie universe (surely this movie isn't set during the 1930s/40s again given Ford's appearance).

It's for that reason I don't think people should get too hung up on a BR Standard being painted up to portray an approximation of a WW2 German (or French?) loco! Who know what else goes on in this alternate history!

Edited by Rob Haigh
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

So what is this new film called?  Indiana Jones and and Zimmer frame of doom? :jester:

Possible titles:

Raiders of the lost biscuit tin.

Indiana Jones and the Stairs of Stannah.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Bingo.

Indiana Jones and the Packet of Werthers

Edited by Titan
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

29 minutes ago, Titan said:

This one I like, because my bro and I were always convinced that the kindly old grandad in the original TV advert was actually a retired senior-Nazi.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

52 minutes ago, Titan said:

Possible titles:

Raiders of the lost biscuit tin.

Indiana Jones and the Stairs of Stannah.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Bingo.

He's not doing too bad for a 78 year old, Newcastle this week.

image.png.b9b3202caeda2b0f2b79fbd0cb0fc91a.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rob Haigh said:

Cool video, thanks for posting!

I'm guessing these movies would be set in a complete alternate history now. Seeing as Harrison Ford is currently 78 years old, Indiana Jones would be a similar age in the 1970s, so possibly Nazism re-emerges at that time in the movie universe (surely this movie isn't set during the 1940s given Ford's appearance). Who know what else goes on in this alternate history!

It's for that reason I don't think people should get too hung up on a BR Standard being painted up to portray a WW2 German (or French?) loco! Who know what else goes on in this alternate history!

Yeah. That's about right.

In the TV series made in the early 1990s it was stated he was 93 so would have been born about 1899. Which fits in with him being a teenage soldier in WWI.

Jason

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob Haigh said:

I'm guessing these movies would be set in a complete alternate history now. Seeing as Harrison Ford is currently 78 years old, Indiana Jones would be a similar age in the 1970s, so possibly Nazism re-emerges in the 1970s in the movie universe (surely this movie isn't set during the 1930s/40s again given Ford's appearance).

Maybe it's yet another Nazis won the war alternative history thing? We've not had one of those for at least a couple of weeks now. 

(Although I do wish somebody would do an alternative history film showing what an attempted Nazi invasion of Britain would have actually been like, although I guess 2 hours of Germans being pinned down on the beach at Dymchurch and then surrendering because their supply ships have all been sunk would be a bit of an anti-climax)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

We need a closer look at that bike, because Colnago, which is what the badge is, make the most cunningly disguised e-bike around, almost impossible to tell from their not-e ones.

That having been said, I’ve plenty of times been huffing and puffing up a hill and been overtaken by a wiry blokes of his age who have no e-assistance whatsoever.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1