Indiana Jones filming on NYMR

birdseyecircus

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

We need a closer look at that bike, because Colnago, which is what the badge is, make the most cunningly disguised e-bike around, almost impossible to tell from their not-e ones.

That having been said, I’ve plenty of times been huffing and puffing up a hill and been overtaken by a wiry blokes of his age who have no e-assistance whatsoever.

Regardless of whether the bike is assisted, I would be quite happy with his arms and legs at 78, he's clearly keeping fit.

• Agree 2

Keeping fit clearly does keep you fit.

I sometimes get into conversation with old guys at cafe stops when out cycling, and some of them amaze me. I met a guy who looked maybe three or four years older than me, and clearly far fitter, and it turned-out that he had only taken-up cycling when he retired, 25 years ago - he was 83yo, so 20 years older than me! Humbled, I was.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Keeping fit clearly does keep you fit.

I sometimes get into conversation with old guys at cafe stops when out cycling, and some of them amaze me. I met a guy who looked maybe three or four years older than me, and clearly far fitter, and it turned-out that he had only taken-up cycling when he retired, 25 years ago - he was 83yo, so 20 years older than me! Humbled, I was.

I will always remember driving up a long steep hill by me and witnessing 3 blokes in their 30s/40s clad head to toe in Lycra on proper road bikes being overtaken by a bloke in his 70s on a bike with a basket on the front.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 7

On 10/06/2021 at 15:18, Aire Head said:

I will always remember driving up a long steep hill by me and witnessing 3 blokes in their 30s/40s clad head to toe in Lycra on proper road bikes being overtaken by a bloke in his 70s on a bike with a basket on the front.

Either the bike with a basket was an ebike or its rider was properly only doing a c 2 mile ride whereas the other three were no doubt going a lot further, probably had been knackered by battling a head wind and were taking the hill as easily as they could to save what energy resources they had left.

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Either the bike with a basket was an ebike or its rider was properly only doing a c 2 mile ride whereas the other three were no doubt going a lot further, probably had been knackered by battling a head wind and were taking the hill as easily as they could to save what energy resources they had left.

Oh I’m quite aware, doesn’t make it any less humourous :jester:

• Agree 1

To be fair, the IJ films are made for entertainment & in that respect they make a resonable job in that respect.

The films are not made for railway enthusiests.

Most of the people who will watch the film will neither know or care about the accuracy. FWIW you cannot make a 9F into a very accurate representation of a BR52 ;

The BR52 had ;

Loads more plumbing & gubbins on & around the boiler.

A fully enclosed squarer cab.

An 8-wheeled tender.

Horizontal Cylinders.

AFAIK no smoke deflectors when first built.

A louder "bark" to the exhaust.

Looks to me that this part of the filming is set in France.

There is (or was) a non running BR50 or 52 on the NVR.

• Like 1

Interestingly (to me anyway), it appears that Ford will be digitally 'de-aged' for this portion of the movie, as suggested by these more recent on-set photos. So these scenes may be set in the 1930s/1940s after all (probably a flashback in a movie mainly set much later):

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-indiana-jones-5-set-photos-tease-de-aged-harrison-ford-and-a-new-cast-member/

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

It left a while back - IIRC about 10/15 years ago. 

Must have left not long after I saw it.

One of the guys there told me that it was actually quite sound in spite of the poor condition of the cab's sheet steel  sections.

1 minute ago, SamThomas said:

Must have left not long after I saw it.

One of the guys there told me that it was actually quite sound in spite of the poor condition of the cab's sheet steel  sections.

It's a shame it left - it was a nice loco (if a bit on the big size for a preserved line, but then so are all those 9Fs). 

On 10/06/2021 at 22:18, Aire Head said:

I had a not dissimilar experience when toiling up our local railway trail; not especially steep, but a bit relentless. I'd just been overtaken by a group of riders on serious machinery, when we were all passed by what I can only describe as a handsome lady of late middle years, vigorously pedalling a sit up and beg roadster that was probably made for "The Empire" 30 years before I was born. Yes, it had a basket on the front. She breezed by with a cheery "Lovely day for it", in the sort of accent that has caused my memory to insist that she was clad in tweed twinset and green wellies, although this seems unlikely. Well, more unlikely than the rest of it anyway. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2021 at 12:28, Titan said:

Possible titles:

Raiders of the lost biscuit tin.

Indiana Jones and the Stairs of Stannah.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Bingo.

Indiana Jones and the Packet of Werthers

Indiana Jones and the desperate continuation of the franchise.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

55 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Oh dear god, not another American actor wheeling out an utterly cringe-making faux Scottish accent.  See also: Robin Williams and Mike Myers for starters.

Why would he be doing a Scottish accent?  He's playing Indiana Jones, who is American

Edited by Monkersson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Fitting. Riddles was very impressed by the design philosophy of Richard Wagner's DR standard classes, when he visited Germany as part of an LMS CME's jolly in the 30s. 

Strangely enough, it was only a few days ago that I was wondering if Riddles had been influenced by German loco design.

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Strangely enough, it was only a few days ago that I was wondering if Riddles had been influenced by German loco design.

I'm wishing I could give chapter and verse for this. It might be in the LMS Locomotive Profiles volume on the Coronation Pacifics. Stanier and Wagner were on friendly terms - Stanier had Wagner present a paper on his streamlined Baltics at a meeting of one of the professional institutions, IIRC.