Bending flexi track to create a circle for a n gauge pizza layout

Looking for some advice please.

I have a couple of yards of Peco n gauge code 80 flexi track that I would like to use to create a pizza layout using a 8" radius  What's the best method to bend the track to ensure that i can get a round  circle? I have in the past  never been able to make a satisfactory  circle. Hopefully some one can advise please. 

Thanks

Johna

If you could increase that to 9", then there is always a 9" Tracksetta, but I think that's as small as they go in N.  These are widely available - eg  https://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/9--Radius-Template-4318.html#SID=238.  You may be able to pick one up at your local model shop: Harburn Hobbies is just my local retailer.

Alternatively, Osborns do a custom equivalent if it really has to be 8" - https://www.osbornsmodels.com/ray-dee-eye-create-your-own-radius-36687-p.asp.  I've never purchased from them: just aware that this exists.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've never bent track that tight but if I did I would cut a circle (out of very thick card) that would fit inside the sleepers. I would then butt the track up to this as I laid it. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If all else fails you could maybe use a 16" cake tin like this as a former ;

https://www.cake-stuff.com/item/5872/PME/16-405cm-professional-round-aluminium-cake-tin-pan-3-deep.html

or anything else solid & the right size.

• Informative/Useful 1

For a radius that tight, I'd prefer ready curved track, but, as that is not an option,  I'd slide the rails from the sleeper base and pre-curve them, taking extra care to ensure they are curved right to the end, and then reassemble. It's probably better to stagger the rail joints as well. As a bonus, only one or at most two rails will have to be cut this way.

The web between the sleepers will also require to be removed* on the inside of the curve and it is much easier to do this without the rails in the way.

* I'm not sure about N gauge, but the H0 version comes in solid blocks, which are a good recipe for 'dog legs' on tight curves.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, johna said:

Looking for some advice please.

I have a couple of yards of Peco n gauge code 80 flexi track that I would like to use to create a pizza layout using a 8" radius  What's the best method to bend the track to ensure that i can get a round  circle? I have in the past  never been able to make a satisfactory  circle. Hopefully some one can advise please. 

Thanks

Johna

I found that with OO-gauge (Code-100), if you draw a line representing the outside edge of the sleeper and use that as a guide to lay the track, the resulting curve is actually very good. I check all my curves with my box of 'railway curves' (old drawing aid comprising plastic curves in ~50mm increments), and following a predrawn curve, pinning the track every couple of inches, follows my railway curves nicely.

At your small radius, I concur with others who have recommended staggering the fishplated joints.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

Flexi will bend to 8" radius circle on its own, a circle is the natural shape for it to adopt when the ends are brought together. the only issue will be the single join, I think I would fishplate it as normal  90 degree not staggered and solder some code 75 or 100 or even sheet brass to the sides of the rails to stop the fishplated joint  coming apart or causing a dog leg.