Replacement for Peco solenoid motors

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

For most of my modelling career, I have used either Peco solenoid or Tortoise motors, the only deciding factor was available space under the baseboards. The Peco motor is particularly useful in this respect, rather powerful for its size and easy to install. 
However, for the last layout maybe a change is needed, the overriding restriction is the 50mm space under the baseboard. Again, Peco turnouts are planned to be used one last time.
Any suggestions are welcome. 
Thank you

The Hannants version comes pre-wired, is easier to fix to the board without messing about with bending tabs etc, and has a crank attached if you dont want to mount it directly below the point. If you do mount it below the point the crank can be used to oprate a microswitch.  The only thing it doesn't do which a PL-10 does is clip directly onto the point. 

Rails of Sheffield have recently launched their own range of solenoid point motors, both below-baseboard and above-baseboard versions.  They are designed by DCCconcepts.  I don't have any direct experience of them yet - I have bought some but not got round to installing them - but I mention them just as another potential option.

https://railsofsheffield.com/manufacturer-rails-connect-JJJM197

Guest Jack Benson

Hi and thank you,

I should have added that I normally fix the Peco motor in one of Peco’s brown plastic blocks or their odd switch mount NOT directly to the turnout. 

I have no experience of servos, only Peco or Tortoise plus a problematic Gaugemaster solenoid motor. Is it possible to use them in a restricted space?

StaySafe

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi and thank you,

I should have added that I normally fix the Peco motor in one of Peco’s brown plastic blocks or their odd switch mount NOT directly to the turnout. 

I have no experience of servos, only Peco or Tortoise plus a problematic Gaugemaster solenoid motor. Is it possible to use them in a restricted space?

StaySafe

I use servos, controlled by a Megapoints board.  Total depth including the mounting bracket I use is 50mm.

Worth look, though can be costly depending on the amount of points you'll have

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Yes, servos are generally quite small. I just did a quick bit of googling and found this https://www.robotshop.com/uk/kitronik-linear-actuator-micro-servo-kit.html looks like it could be perfect for points. (I've not used one so I can't offer any real life experience). If you do go down the servo route I would suggest staying clear of the Peco Smart Switch. I tried it for the very limited space option but could not get it to work satisfactory. 

• RMweb Gold

Seep PM1 motors are much smaller than Peco and have an inbuilt switch if you want a small solenoid motor.  The are also comparatively cheap.

Would the recently introduced Peco/Rails surface mounted motors be an option?  They are also small and fairly straightforward to install compared to the other options?

I recently did a video overview of the Rails Connect point motors and installation. A particularly handy feature is that the DCC versions can be used on DC and switched by push buttons or passing contact switches and give frog polarity switching and LED outputs suitable for panel indicators or colour light signals. 

The underboard motors can either be connected direct to the points with tabs like the Peco, or screwed direct to the board underside as they have integrated screw mounting points on them that allows easier mounting and a much smaller vertical footprint. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Does the Rails/Connect sub-baseboard device offer an external switch for polarity control of the turnout? 

Thank you

5 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Does the Rails/Connect sub-baseboard device offer an external switch for polarity control of the turnout? 

Thank you

If you watched the video in the above post, you would see that the polarity switching is covered by the PCB control unit so if you don't intend to use that method, then to get such switching, will need the use of a microswitch attached to the tiebar or one of these

http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/point_indicator.html#POINT-INDICATOR-RELAY

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, Sol said:

If you watched the video in the above post, you would see that the polarity switching is covered by the PCB control unit so if you don't intend to use that method, then to get such switching, will need the use of a microswitch attached to the tiebar or one of these

http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/point_indicator.html#POINT-INDICATOR-RELAY

Thanks, but I did watch the video, very interesting.

Another group member has donated some surplus Peco solenoid motors together with the PL15 switches. Not groundbreaking but familiar stuff. 

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson