Iain Rice - Designs for Urban Layouts - Bankdam Mills Plan

AHW

Morning,

Of all the ideas for an urban layout in Mr Rice's book, his N gauge plan for a 'Calder Valley' type of scheme called `Bankdam Mills' caught my attention the most. It was ambitious but somehow simple in the track plan, but most of all looked as if it would be spectacular to view - the industrial worker's terraces climbing the hill side of the Pennines and the viaducts crossing the canal/river in particular. The use of gradients to create a hidden but easily accessed fiddle yard was also very intriguing.

So my question for the community is, has anyone built it, or planned a layout on that basis?

If you don't know the plan, its in this book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Designs-Urban-Layouts-Iain-Rice/dp/190287708X.

(I hesitate to include an image of the plan to avoid any copyright infringement)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads up.  I bought the book.  I have a couple of his other design books but hadn't come across this one.  Very good.  Loved the idea of a three level micro layout with cassettes across a doorway.  Now I definitely can tell people who complain that they haveny got room for a decent layout that they really have!

He and Ian Futers are my design heroes - along of course with our regular contributor Harlequin of this parish. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, imt said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I bought the book.  I have a couple of his other design books but hadn't come across this one.  Very good.  Loved the idea of a three level micro layout with cassettes across a doorway.  Now I definitely can tell people who complain that they haveny got room for a decent layout that they really have!

He and Ian Futers are my design heroes - along of course with our regular contributor Harlequin of this parish. 

Oh thank you, I'm honoured! But I'm not in the same league as those guys.

I'm a Rice fan too so I will have to add this book to my ever-increasing reading stack! 

15 hours ago, imt said:

Now I definitely can tell people who complain that they haveny got room for a decent layout that they really have!

Almost everyone has room for *a* layout. But not necessarily room for one that they actually want to build/ operate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5