Pet hate idioms used by railway enthusiasts

DY444

• RMweb Gold

I encountered it as applied to the Triang model and for many years believed that it applied only to this and was expanded later to include the real locos.  It is sort of suitable in a way that I can’t quite explain as a child’s name for the model, and it made sense that it became the word for the real loco for those of my generation that grew up with the model.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Right Away said:

Right on. Another “Americanism” which has crept to the fore!

Why do people keeping spreading this misinformation, in the US it was Depot or Railroad Station, (maybe even railway station?)

It was not an Americanism and seemed to have spontaneously arisen in the UK some time ago.

As I have said several times before (yawn) I had hear it being used (but not often) as early as the late 1960s

It has come much more to the fore in the last 20(?) years and can now be found on Google maps pretty well everywhere.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Yep, that's one that annoys me as well, also AWS 'Ramp' (there are not ramps, they are Magnets or Inductors)

Simon

Although on the system they were originally 'derived' from they were ramps. and a shoe contacted them.

I assume the term stuck

• Agree 2

I get annoyed at people getting annoyed about "train station". If that's what the general populous uses to describe the locations where trains stop to allow their self-loading cargo to load and unload itself, then that's what it is, get over yourselves.

Clinging onto archaic terminology and getting upset because the world has changed isn't a good look.

That should make me popular!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

58 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Although on the system they were originally 'derived' from they were ramps. and a shoe contacted them.

I assume the term stuck

Probably aided by the fact that a lot of AWS magnets are in approximately ramp shaped.

I get annoyed by incorrect spelling or pronunciation of the word “catenary” or “railway catenary”*.

Never mind the incorrect descriptions of the various parts of “the overhead”, not many seem to understand that but I suppose with the less common modelling of overhead wires in the UK, one should not be too surprised.

*now that I’ve spelt it out, it looks wrong to me!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

I thoroughly detest the term "disassemble" - obviously invented by someone ignorant.....................ignorant of the correct term, "dismantle".

I should take it up with the Oxford English Dictionary if I was you.

Go on, tell them how ignorant they are.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They don't have to worry about whether crossings/frogs are live or dead either

It was not part of my plan for today to have to deal with Shroedinger’s frogs…

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I get annoyed by incorrect spelling or pronunciation of the word “catenary” or “railway catenary”*.

Never mind the incorrect descriptions of the various parts of “the overhead”, not many seem to understand that but I suppose with the less common modelling of overhead wires in the UK, one should not be too surprised.

*now that I’ve spelt it out, it looks wrong to me!

Hi

I fully agree, the term that should be used is Overhead Line Equipment (OLE, there is no H in the middle). The catenary wire (with the curve ) is the support wire trying to maintain the correct height above the rails of the contact wire. A catenary curve is a mathematically calculated one not a natural one.

Post are mast.

Gantries are portals.

1142516037_partscantilever.png.6cb383f0c45641a7a1854fd4a035ef13.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, br2975 said:

I thoroughly detest the term "disassemble" - obviously invented by someone ignorant.....................ignorant of the correct term, "dismantle".

About 50 years ago a friend went on a series of training courses with Philips Electrologica in Eindhoven. One of the Dutch instructors said you can dismantle anything - because someone must have mantled it! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

That perennial hardy favourite "Guaranteed to sell" or derivatives thereof, when used to describe a pet item not covered in RTR.

Like a model railway fan (fan of course being a shortened form of "fanatic", or someone with excessive or single minded zeal) will know the financial and business background to decisions made by companies whose sole legal obligation is to make money for their shareholders, not a model of the Little Wibblesdown and Miss Marpleshire Light railway no.2 in the pretty Primrose yellow livery it carried for two weeks in 1902 when some clot upended a tin of paint over it, or whatever guaranteed sales prediction is being trotted out.

Unlike an OO scale Class AM10 electric multiple unit which of course is guaranteed to sell, by the containerload.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I never heard a railwayman refer to a thumper, and have no idea where the term bogcart originated, but find it disrespectful to those early diesel units that were needed to oust steam and reduce costs. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Barclay said:

Jinty - what a stupid name !

I understand that it was never used by railways or railwaymen in relation to the LMS 3F 0-6-0T in any case ?

'Jinty' was the MR class 1322 0-4-0ST,  the LMS 3F was 'Jocko' at many sheds but at Watford, and some crews at Willesden were known as 'Dobbins', and, as someone's already mentioned, 'Bagnalls' on the old S&DJR ( well the one that ran from Bath/Burnham on Sea to Bournemouth).

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

That perennial hardy favourite "Guaranteed to sell" or derivatives thereof, when used to describe a pet item not covered in RTR.

Like a model railway fan (fan of course being a shortened form of "fanatic", or someone with excessive or single minded zeal) will know the financial and business background to decisions made by companies whose sole legal obligation is to make money for their shareholders, not a model of the Little Wibblesdown and Miss Marpleshire Light railway no.2 in the pretty Primrose yellow livery it carried for two weeks in 1902 when some clot upended a tin of paint over it, or whatever guaranteed sales prediction is being trotted out.

Unlike an OO scale Class AM10 electric multiple unit which of course is guaranteed to sell, by the containerload.

Surely Mark you mean,

Class 312 electric multiple units which will fly off the shelves and sell like hot cakes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

I should not let it get to me but I do hate the name 'The Mule' which has been given to the Waterloo-Exeter route by enthusiasts,

cheers

I'd love to know where that name came from.

• Agree 2