Pet hate idioms used by railway enthusiasts

DY444

3 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Before I joined RMW a couple of members told me that the forum was full of people with nothing better to do than to be pedantic & argue to the nth degree.

I'm more than aware that it's "Tri-ang Railways" & just thought I'd see if anyone bit to prove a point.

I must admit I never understood why Lines put a hyphen in there. Maybe it was because "Triang" was already registered?

9 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Before I joined RMW a couple of members told me that the forum was full of people with nothing better to do than to be pedantic & argue to the nth degree.

I'm more than aware that it's "Tri-ang Railways" & just thought I'd see if anyone bit to prove a point.

So you started an argument to prove that people argue....

it's alright. We're here all night as we have nothing better to do.  :D

We're experts on arguments here...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Er, that’s the entire interweb.

I don’t mind people mangling a few descriptions TBH, I do sometimes.

what’s really getting on my nerves now is the continuation of “ swmbo “ and “ domestic authorities ,“ as well as ,” senior management “. We need to stop doing this - it’s not 1950 and imagine the utter xxxxstorm if we reversed these descriptions .

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Damo666 said:

And when I went to college, we were taught that you cast items in a mold. The thing you do not want in your house is mould.

Yet many people seem to want to cast their resin models in a fungus.

I know I'll get a lot of pushback on this, as many dictionaries now use the American spelling and this seems to have permeated into the UK lexicon more, to the extent that I would not be surprised to see that the OED have interchanged both, but I come from Ireland and that's my excuse!

(It doesn't help that this forums' spell-checker puts a little red wiggly line under 'mold' to suggest that the word does not exist).

Surely you can find a Mold in Flint?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Damo666 said:

And when I went to college, we were taught that you cast items in a mold. The thing you do not want in your house is mould.

Yet many people seem to want to cast their resin models in a fungus.

I know I'll get a lot of pushback on this, as many dictionaries now use the American spelling and this seems to have permeated into the UK lexicon more, to the extent that I would not be surprised to see that the OED have interchanged both, but I come from Ireland and that's my excuse!

(It doesn't help that this forums' spell-checker puts a little red wiggly line under 'mold' to suggest that the word does not exist).

I’ve never seen ‘mold’ used in the context you’re referring to, and I’m an apprentice trained moulder, and have worked in the foundry industry for over 30 years !!

Cheers 

Phil.

• Agree 1

How about "This train terminates at XYZ." ...... yes, I know it does ( will do ) - it's the end of the line ! : I only need to know that it "terminates at" somewhere unexpected.

"Mind the gap between the train and the platform edge." ............ what other part of the platform could the train possibly be adjacent to ?

"The next station* is ABC." announced as the doors close ................... a) too late to do anything about it if you've got it wrong .... b) I happen to know that ABC is twenty minutes away - but there's some poor s:od who's just dropped his bag on his head getting it from the rack in panic.

* or should that be "station stop" ? .......... or "train station stop" ??!?

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

I was just winding you up :D

But "train station" is actually more logical (if not traditional in the UK). You go to a bus station to catch a bus. Do you go to a railway station to catch a railway?

Do you go to a fire station to catch fire?

• Funny 5

16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Er, that’s the entire interweb.

I don’t mind people mangling a few descriptions TBH, I do sometimes.

what’s really getting on my nerves now is the continuation of “ swmbo “ and “ domestic authorities ,“ as well as ,” senior management “. We need to stop doing this - it’s not 1950 and imagine the utter xxxxstorm if we reversed these descriptions .

Tut tut.

Surely it's Train Manager now....

"Good afternoon. I'm Nigel your Train Manager. Do ask our chef for his specials"

Chef? it's a bloke selling prepacked prawn sandwiches and cans of Stella. :laugh:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Tut tut.

Surely it's Train Manager now....

"Good afternoon. I'm Nigel your Train Manager. Do ask our chef for his specials"

Chef? it's a bloke selling prepacked prawn sandwiches and cans of Stella. :laugh:

Which reminds me of the tale told by a senior Eurostar manager a few years ago. there had been some rather heavy drinking on the train from Waterloo to Brussels, mostly Belgians. The chef du train made the announcement, "We are sorry we have run out of beer. But for our Dutch passengers there's still some tins of Amstel."

There was also a local lad (I live near Eurotunnel) went for a job with E* as chef du train, and the local job centre was a bit surprised when he turned down the job as his job qualification as a chef didn't include knowing anything about trains, but plenty about bacon and eggs.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Yes, waiting for a driver to admit his train is a failure is a tiresome experience. Pride is involved, of course, although less so since the demise of steam. But no-one and nothing moves until he admits defeat. 

The only time we had the upper hand over the signalman - you had to let us savour it a bit! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

"Mind the gap between the train and the platform edge." ............ what other part of the platform could the train possibly be adjacent to ?

There is a point to this; station platforms differ in height and, on curves, distace from the coach door step.  The situation at the station you get off at and may have never been to before can be very different from where you got on or a usual destination that you are used to.  And if you do fall down there, it is not easy to extricate you from it, and if nobody noticed you go down and the train begins to move...  So it is good to heed advice to 'mind the gap between the train and the platform edge'.

1 hour ago, roythebus1 said:

Do you go to a fire station to catch fire?

Well, they have all the right gear handy to deal with it at the fire station...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Zomboid said:

wouldn't it be more technically correct to say Train/ Railway Stop. Or Terminal (as at Airports).

Terminal, rather than train station, being the real Americanism.  The correct name for the big ornate mainline railway station in downtown Manhattan is Grand Central Terminal.  (Grand Central Station is the name for the stop on the Subway).

RT

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

<nasal voice> "I think you'll find that that's not entirely correct" </nasal voice>

RT

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Yes, waiting for a driver to admit his train is a failure is a tiresome experience. Pride is involved, of course, although less so since the demise of steam. But no-one and nothing moves until he admits defeat. 

These days the hold up is usually the driver talking to 'fleet' (i.e. either the own companys fitters or support staff from the likes of Siemens - who in the latest trains like the 700s can dial into the train and get real time diagnostic data and talk the driver through various procedures to get the thing moving again.)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Unipart Rail (or even the BR stores division before them)

Ah, the good old National Supply Centre - colloquially known as the Nil Stock Centre.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

A bus station is something which has amenities such as toilets or a place to buy tickets, snacks, etc.

... which are, usually, closed.

• Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Incidentally I got a right bollocking from a British Rail signalling engineer for wearing my green Hi Viz when attending a gas escape near the Warrington power box. I was marched off the track to the box and loaned an orange one !!!

And quite right too! :nono:

The railway's always used orange for high-viz since such stuff was invented. Consequently drivers are well conditioned to spotting and reacting quickly to a certain shade of orange. It's even been known, on occasion, to sound the horn at a Portastore tool vault parked on the lineside!

The yellow / green dayglow types may work well on tarmac roads, on the railway however ...

I remember an incident some time ago when I was cautioned through an area where the Police were searching the lineside. They were wearing their normal high-viz instead of railway orange ones and, against the railway / lineside environment, they were more like camouflage than high-viz!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/06/2021 at 17:15, Zomboid said:

Probably aided by the fact that a lot of AWS magnets are in approximately ramp shaped.

No, the AWS magnets are rectangular shaped. The 'ramp' you see in front of them's just a protection plate to guard the magnets from errant low hanging couplings, not part of the actual AWS equipment.

• Round of applause 1

21 hours ago, keefer said:

..... Another similar to this is adding 'The..' to a locomotive name that doesn't have it e.g. 'The Mallard'

Of course several of the first ( new ) generation Manchester trams DID have 'The' in the name ................ so presumably the media would have referred to 1014 - for example - as the The City of Drama !!?!