Lenz LZV200 Version 4 Firmware

• RMweb Gold

Lenz have just announced this and it's described here on their web-site. It's in German but Google translate does a pretty good job job. Briefly what I can see are

- up to 69 loco functions suported. Requires LH101 firmware 2.1 for the additoinal functions.

- built-in decoder programmer, allowing decoder firmware updating on the programming track

- installed via USB stick for €75, orderable direct from Lenz (€10 postage)

Will try and find out more details to see whether it's worth the money!

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been in touch with A&H Models. They are expecting to receive update sticks so that you can order from them directly, rather than via Lenz in Germany. Chris says he will advertise when he has them and I will post on here when I know.

There's a new CV Editor version 2.0.5 now available that replaces the current 1.0.5. However the link to download it on the Lenz site is wrong and only downloads the code and not the data files. The correct link is in the German documentaion file and is this - https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/digital-plus/cv-editor.php

The first file is the basic code. You need to uninstall any previous version first. The second file is the data files. There's 5 pages of German operating instructions but it's really very simple. The download file is simpy a zip file, so all you need to do is unzip it whereupon you will find a directory called "Lenz". Use this to replace the "Lenz" directory in your "Documents" folder that the previous install put there. Seems not a very clever way of packaging the software, but I assume that in the future the data files will get updated from time to time. There are no new decoder firmware updates in these files, but there is the 2.1 update for the LH101 handset. 

EDIT: Lenz have now updated the bad URL in the download section of the web-site. .

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Crosland said:

How much??? For a firmware upgrade? What did the original product cost?

Indeed. The LZV200 retails for about £250. I don't use sound and my most complicated loco is the Kernow 4TC with 5 functions so I have no use for 29, let alone 69. And I picked up a Lenz decoder/programmer off Ebay for a song a few years ago so I've got that covered too....

Think I'll be giving this one a miss unless there are other enhancements that haven't been revealed yet. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

Digikeijs does free firmware updates for its products, downloadable over the internet.

And so do other suppliers, and I've now switched to the Roco Z21. At least Lenz hardware does keep its value and all my Lenz kit sold for good prices on Ebay ...

Hornby Elite firmware is a free update downloadable from their site.

Select has to be returned to works for a £15 update including postage one way. This is due to there being no USB connection to enable it to be done from a PC, a write protect jumper has to be broken on the motherboard and the update loaded from a PIC programmer via a motherboard header.

• 1 year later...
On 10/06/2021 at 08:41, RFS said:

Lenz have just announced this and it's described here on their web-site. It's in German but Google translate does a pretty good job job. Briefly what I can see are

- up to 69 loco functions suported. Requires LH101 firmware 2.1 for the additoinal functions.

My LH101 is only at v2.0 but DOES support the higher functions - at least I tested f29 which is above the range of the older LZV200 versions

But the function select button does go all the way to the 60's

Phio; G

9 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I had in mind that I had got mine updated to v4 but I can find record of me asking about it but not actually doing. Which would explain why I can only go up to f29 on my accurascale deltic.

Your LH101 will tell you what version you have in your LZV200

ive also just discovered that JMRI may not support higher functions either

Also, the Lenz website does say you need LH101 v2.1, but I didn’t!

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does the v4 upgrade actually exist for purchase now in the UK? The huge number of functions isn’t of any real interest to me but the ability for further upgrades via computer is of some interest. Though if the next Lenz upgrade is not in anyway imminent I probably won’t bother. 

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Does the v4 upgrade actually exist for purchase now in the UK? The huge number of functions isn’t of any real interest to me but the ability for further upgrades via computer is of some interest. Though if the next Lenz upgrade is not in anyway imminent I probably won’t bother. 

What Lenz command station do you have? You can't upgrade the LZV100 to V4 but Lenz do offer the option to replace your LZV100 with LZV200 at a discounted price. Although you can then do upgrades at home via the computer, these upgrades are chargeable and involve Lenz sending you an update stick (similar to a USB flash drive). One of the reasons I switched to Z21 where upgrades are free and can be simply downloaded. 

31 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It’s been available for a while. Mine was upgraded 12 months ago!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

That came up very quickly in my search earlier. It states contact them to check availability. So I did.

And they had none?  I got mine from A&H, but they show no stock either - but they might know why not….

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, philg said:

And they had none?  I got mine from A&H, but they show no stock either - but they might know why not….

KMS Railtech suggested contacting the people who had supplied my Lenz equipment. They also seemed to think I needed a paired update pcb. It is only paired after,it had updated the controller. 
A and H explained they don’t stock,it but will get one for me which is nice. 
 If you look at the German Lenz Digital website their shop stocks them but only for despatch within Germany. 

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

KMS Railtech suggested contacting the people who had supplied my Lenz equipment. They also seemed to think I needed a paired update pcb. It is only paired after,it had updated the controller. 
A and H explained they don’t stock,it but will get one for me which is nice. 
 If you look at the German Lenz Digital website their shop stocks them but only for despatch within Germany. 

Glad you got sorted in the end

• Thanks 1