GWR Travelling Generator Van

A rare GWR Travelling Generator Van.

Originally built 1902 Diagram K15 Lot 1000 as a Dean Parcel Van.

Converted 1944  to Generator Van Diagram K29 Lot 1732 

Then to Diagram M32

W2W   (EX GWR 1113) at Swindon 25/05/1957

photograph:

David Rouse/GWR 813 Fund

W2W (GWR 1113)  Dean Parcel Van as Travelling Generator Van K 15 to K29 to M32 Swnd 25.5.573.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

What was it used for?

I feel like I need a model of this!

First find your  K's 1960s vintage kit - Great Western Railway - 40’0” Passenger Brake Van to Dia. K15. This is mine in the paint job from my teenage years.

GWR K's brake 1kpx.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My photo of the other side was taken in 1964, in a parcels train at Oxford. I have an incomplete K's kit to construct it from, one day.

This makes 3 photos I've seen of it, there is another at http://www.penrhos.me.uk/LowRoofs2.shtml, (the same side as the OP,but not such good detail).

Dave

sca007.jpg.bea31e371398022e9cbfa0fa73519387.jpg

Any idea of the date of the photo in the OP?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

First find your  K's 1960s vintage kit - Great Western Railway - 40’0” Passenger Brake Van to Dia. K15. This is mine in the paint job from my teenage years.

GWR K's brake 1kpx.jpg

For what must have been tender years, that's quite a good paint job [apart from the dust...!].

Tony

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

What was it used for?

I feel like I need a model of this!

There won't be a small site generator in there, so I'm thinking it would be big enough to power up a  medium sized station or a large signal box, or a goods shed while major repair works or builds were ongoing.

When was it made into a generator van? I wonder if it might be a WW2 conversion, because other railways made mobile generator provision (I think the LNER 350hp DE shunters are rigged for it) in case of bomb damage at key sites.

• Like 1

It was a WWII conversion but late, 1944, which creates a bit of a puzzle as there really weren't many bombing raids by then but the V1s and V2s hadn't yet started to arrive. If the conversion was in early 1944 it is just possible that it was intended to provide power to one of the substantial but very temporary pre-D-Day encampments some of which had significant workshop capabilities (and therefore power requirements).

All sorts of potential uses come to mind - did the GWR have a mobile traffic control train, for instance, or a mobile training facility?

My gut feel looking at it is that the engine and generator will not have been huge ones, because although it is a sturdy vehicle, it probably couldn't have borne the weight of a very powerful set. Can anyone read the script on the lower RHS, that might give weight details?

• Like 2

Snippet of info in the RCTS photo index:

CUL3642 G Self Generating Plant bogie van W2W in use with Electrical Department converted under wagon lot 1460 of 1944, originally built as passenger brake No. 1113 (diag K15 Lot 1000) at Swindon 30/3/56

CUL3642 being the photo ref no, and the last date the date of that photo. Unfortunately not findable on the RCT photo archive database at https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

As a wild guess at the internals, perhaps 3 generator sets, as there are 3 sets of louvres, and 3 (exhaust?) structures on the roof. The rest could be a fuel tank, and/or riding space.

The modelling question is whether to copy the sides as the pictures show, or assume both sides were plated between 1957 and 1964. I'm tempted to do mine as shown in the pictures for a bit of variety, even though the imbalance of windows and doors between  the pictures suggests to me that modification would have been done to both sides. Perhaps  it is in Swindon for replating and modification.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M.I.B said:

There won't be a small site generator in there, so I'm thinking it would be big enough to power up a  medium sized station or a large signal box, or a goods shed while major repair works or builds were ongoing.

SIgnal boxes generally didn't need a generator.  They managed with oil or gas lighting; where mains  electricity was used for signalling equipment they were low power devices and they would have standby batteries maintained by S&T.   Goods sheds moved stuff about by manual labour.  The mobile generator would probably be for some other external purpose

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The 1944 date suggests something connected with that year and i could only think of one thing - right or wrong - and that was D-Day and when it came to a train that led me to think of General Eisenhower.  So I did a search on the 'net and came up with this, for what it is or might be worth -

https://museum.wales/industry/images/?action=show_item&item=2579

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The 1944 date suggests something connected with that year and i could only think of one thing - right or wrong - and that was D-Day and when it came to a train that led me to think of General Eisenhower.  So I did a search on the 'net and came up with this, for what it is or might be worth -

https://museum.wales/industry/images/?action=show_item&item=2579

Well spotted that man! In the original photo the van appears to have a steam heating bag, and, since it is unlikely that it would ever be marshalled in a normal passenger formation, that would appear to confirm the provision of a steam heating boiler in the van.

• Agree 1

A bit more information I’ve found from the Wagon Lot book as follows.

L146 dia. M32/Q14, L 40’ 03/4” W 8’ 03/4” H 7’2” , w/b 32’, Tare 29.4.0, ordered 13.1.34 completed 20.1.45, Notes Converted from PBV 1113, 71/2 kw diesel set, 98 B cell batteries.

Dave

• Like 1

On 11/06/2021 at 08:25, Siberian Snooper said:

If you don't have the Ks kit, Roxey Mouldings do an etched brass kit of the K15.

There is also floor side/ends/roof etch from Worsley works. Alternative ends available. Worsley are always open to suggestions for new etches. You could ask him with all the info you have on here to modify his existing cad files. I will have one if he says yes.

Mike Wiltshire

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_GWR.htm

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

The text in the linked item actually says  "The third vehicle was a utility van which housed an electric generator and steam-heating boiler."

Yes - so that depends entirely on what whoever wrote that regarded as a 'utility van;.  As the GWR didn't - I'm open to correction  - have any vehicle specifically called a 'utility van' it  could just as readuly meant a non passenger carrying vehicle of just about any sort other than the  Monster which were specifically mentioned in that sentence.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2021 at 08:28, M.I.B said:

I take back my words - 7.5 KVA is not very big at all.  Add a fuel tank and some space for a radiator unit of sorts, and you would still have 2/3 of that van free.  Steam generator unit has been suggested, so I go along with the ALIVE train proposal.