GWR Travelling Generator Van

• RMweb Gold

Just to add a bit of confusion about official schemes I have WR official photos of gangwayed vehicles in 'blood & custard' livery showing running numbers at the right hand end in some cases and the left hand end in other cases.  

In fact there is pretty clear photographic evidence that in both liveries there were examples of running numbers painted at the same end of the coach thus the number was on the right hand end viewed from one side and the left hand end viewed from the opposite side.  I haven't a clue how widespread this practice was but it definitely happened (or the WR official photographer, and various enthusiasts doctored their photos in order to leave us with a quandary).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/11/2021 at 13:04, The Stationmaster said:

Just to add a bit of confusion about official schemes I have WR official photos of gangwayed vehicles in 'blood & custard' livery showing running numbers at the right hand end in some cases and the left hand end in other cases. 

The official change date was May 1950.  Obviously it would take several years for all stock to be standardized with the numbers at the right hand end.

Ray.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2021 at 11:46, Marshall5 said:

The official change date was May 1950.  Obviously it would take several years for all stock to be standardized with the numbers at the right hand end.

Ray.

But left hand on one side of the vehicle and right hand on the other - or was that because the change took place while the vehicle was being painted?  And just the same with some vehicles in maroon liver - number at the right hand end on one side and the left hand end on the other side.

43 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But left hand on one side of the vehicle and right hand on the other - or was that because the change took place while the vehicle was being painted?  And just the same with some vehicles in maroon liver - number at the right hand end on one side and the left hand end on the other side.

I don't remember seeing any BR passenger stock (or NPCS) with painted numbers at the same physical end of the vehicle although I suppose that there may have been the odd vehicle where there was only one practical position available. However, given the observation that Swindon were very slow (by perhaps two years) to implement the RH end position instruction, I do just wonder whether it got misinterpreted somehow and that resulted in both painted numbers being applied at one physical end of passenger stock.

There were, of course, quite a number of examples of wagon stock having different numbers applied on each side, one suspects because a stack of number plates for a rake of new wagons was applied in the same order on each side of the rake and the number painter of course just replicated what it said on the plates! It took TOPS implementation in the early 1970s to finally sort that one out.