The HAA and extended MGR family, CDA and MHA in OO/4mm, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mophead45143 said:

Wonderful - thanks for the reply Fran! 

In my modelling era of 1977 there would have been a mix of Pre-TOPS and TOPS, so all packs 1 - 4 are perfect!!!

FYI - website says all four packs are HOP AB, unless I'm being thick! 

Regards,

Cameron

We'll get that amended! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

Interesting (although obviously not unexpected) announcement which will leave buyers with a choice between two high detail models and Hornby's estimation.  Obviously great that there are so many variants, but can't help but feel this has been done at the detriment to the actual model. It looks like the top of the wagons will be separate fittings that can be changed to suit the wagon, but it does have quite an unsightly gap/join line where the two pieces meet on the pictures on the Accurascale website. Not sure it could really be done a different way but it's a bit of a shame. 

And I'm no expert on the CDAs, but does the hood look a little high, creating a more rounded canopy?  

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 21.46.06.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, richscylla said:

Interesting (although obviously not unexpected) announcement which will leave buyers with a choice between two high detail models and Hornby's estimation.  Obviously great that there are so many variants, but can't help but feel this has been done at the detriment to the actual model. It looks like the top of the wagons will be separate fittings that can be changed to suit the wagon, but it does have quite an unsightly gap/join line where the two pieces meet on the pictures on the Accurascale website. Not sure it could really be done a different way but it's a bit of a shame. 

And I'm no expert on the CDAs, but does the hood look a little high, creating a more rounded canopy?  

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 21.46.06.png

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your feedback, I had been expecting it!

it is very important to remember that first and painted samples are hastily assembled and part of the process of singing them off is to test and to ensure fit and finish is good. In this case it is not and it is on our list for improving and the production models will be much better. Our willingness to insist on high resolution photos to be taken of our all samples that we share shows all samples in a “warts and all” light as we appreciate feedback from modellers. Many other manufacturers do not do this and tend to publish very low resolution for a variety of reasons. We just have a different approach as we are very confident in the quality of models we produce and value the feedback we get.

Regarding the CDAs, improvements are currently being made to the hood at the factory. As per the last line of the OP, fettling to take place, but we really appreciate your feedback to ensure our models meet the highest possible standards.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

15 hours ago, IRC said:

I’m getting a little confused!

If I am modelling 1987 - 1989, am I right in thinking only the HAA’s fit in that time period and they are 2560 and 2561 on your website? I ask as the accompanying picture seems to be the HOP - AB, not an HAA registered one.

Is there only going to be two options for the original HAA?

Thanks in advance.

And advice welcome on this topic for 1989 / 1990 too.

I can't recall back then seeing too many as-built versions of what became the HAA around at that time i.e. still with the 4 cross bars inside the top of the canopy. (Per packs 2560 and 2561).

Had a look around at photos from 89/90 and all the empty views I can make out are rebodied with the rivets on the upper bodyside.

A couple of photos below (credit Kevin Payne and Jeremy Gould).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139284386@N02/41890212335/in/photolist-26PGhGg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jezgould/6581648505/in/photolist-2jqANE6-2kW9YNK-2kUMebr-ytg2Kr-2iiZb67-2kxm1x3-dfavPw-a3Yi1s-9Ms6NL-9Dwu36-gRKPe5-b5XHxk-bMpdWz-bgfChp-PXCRJN-rNdAMJ-9DuQ6D-dqfAAM-9Dznwm-b2AENn-cfzzn5-9q5tTY-9q5JMy-9wu2eb-bsqYLH-9Dzdj9-9q2tnk

So any views and help is most welcome.

Are those modelling that period really best to wait for the rebodied HAAs in red / yellow coal sector livery?

Stunning announcement by the way from Accurascale. The variety and attention to detail is clearly painstaking and at a price point that is excellent in this market.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Growling said:

And advice welcome on this topic for 1989 / 1990 too.

I can't recall back then seeing too many as-built versions of what became the HAA around at that time i.e. still with the 4 cross bars inside the top of the canopy. (Per packs 2560 and 2561).

Had a look around at photos from 89/90 and all the empty views I can make out are rebodied with the rivets on the upper bodyside.

A couple of photos below (credit Kevin Payne and Jeremy Gould).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139284386@N02/41890212335/in/photolist-26PGhGg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jezgould/6581648505/in/photolist-2jqANE6-2kW9YNK-2kUMebr-ytg2Kr-2iiZb67-2kxm1x3-dfavPw-a3Yi1s-9Ms6NL-9Dwu36-gRKPe5-b5XHxk-bMpdWz-bgfChp-PXCRJN-rNdAMJ-9DuQ6D-dqfAAM-9Dznwm-b2AENn-cfzzn5-9q5tTY-9q5JMy-9wu2eb-bsqYLH-9Dzdj9-9q2tnk

So any views and help is most welcome.

Are those modelling that period really best to wait for the rebodied HAAs in red / yellow coal sector livery?

Stunning announcement by the way from Accurascale. The variety and attention to detail is clearly painstaking and at a price point that is excellent in this market.

Hi @Growling,

Original bodied (unrebuilt?) HAAs lasted into 1990 as depicted by these packs. All our wagon choices are based off photos we have of the real things and dated accordingly. They offer some great variety to mix in with rebuilt wagons we will do in the future, or mixed with TOPS marked freight brown packs C and D.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, IRC said:

Morning @Accurascale Fran

Am I right in thinking that you will be doing the trainload coal, with yellow cradles, in the future?

Thanks.

There is one pack in this run (the photos are of the HMA variant, but the pack livery is the last image)

https://accurascale.co.uk/products/hma-trainload-coal-pack-1?_pos=1&_sid=f44eb78b6&_ss=r

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 09.18.59.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, McC said:

There is one pack in this run (the photos are of the HMA variant, but the pack livery is the last image)

https://accurascale.co.uk/products/hma-trainload-coal-pack-1?_pos=1&_sid=f44eb78b6&_ss=r

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 09.18.59.png

They are quoted as 1997 onwards so if @IRC is modelling 89 then he probably needs to wait for a future run of yellow cradles with the sector black diamond logos?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Growling said:

They are quoted as 1997 onwards so if @IRC is modelling 89 then he probably needs to wait for a future run of yellow cradles with the sector black diamond logos?

That’s exactly what I’m thinking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Railfreight1998 said:

Cavalex are doing that livery in their first run, hence why accurascale are holding off?

Yes, I’ve noticed that. Which is fine as long as both the Accurascale and Cavalex ones can be run together, although I’m sure both will be high quality and I’m not sure I’d notice any difference!

The price of the Accurascale ones is obviously a massive attraction.....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IRC said:

Yes, I’ve noticed that. Which is fine as long as both the Accurascale and Cavalex ones can be run together, although I’m sure both will be high quality and I’m not sure I’d notice any difference!

If both companies have done their homework then they should be almost identical I suppose. Will make for very interesting comparisons. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And I'm in the wrong era.   But having said that these look like a really impressive job so well done Accurascale.  And there must be a numerous 16 tonners coming sometime if they're covering all the eras of the coal wagon scene (I hope) .

And 21 ton hoppers perhaps? HOP 21 VB/HTV is a huge gap In the market....

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, IRC said:

Yes I am in no hurry and really at £7+ per wagon cheaper than the competition (after the 10% discount)  then you are looking at quite a saving if you want the full length rake. 

More than enough to buy the loco that hauls them anyway!

Rich.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Growling said:

Yes I am in no hurry and really at £7+ per wagon cheaper than the competition (after the 10% discount)  then you are looking at quite a saving if you want the full length rake. 

More than enough to buy the loco that hauls them anyway!

Rich.

Yes, the value for money for a newly tooled wagon of this standard in 2021 is exceptional when you buy in bulk. I have ordered a rake of 27 from the HOP AB packs 1 - 4, which works out at about £22 per wagon with the bundle discount applied. Compare that to the new TMC 24.5t mineral at about £29 RRP (although they're temporarily discounted to £25 - get 'em while you can!).

This announcement won't stop me buying from Cavalex when they release their early bodied versions, I just won't get as many as I would have. They will probably run in a second rake mixed with future Accurascale packs of the same ilk, in order to save costs for a complete rake.

As has already been alluded to, both manufacturers have such a good reputation that I'm sure you'll struggle to tell the difference, as they'll both be spot on!

Cameron

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Great to see CBAs in the mix too even if we have to wait a bit ...

Again, Cavalex have also shown intent to do these, so I expect a prototypical rake could be formed from the packs produced by both manufactures. 

Perfect for Tunstead - Margam!

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Trainload coal markings and yellow frames are a particular favourite of mine, so I will be insisting they get a very fair airing in future runs. With a trainload coal liveried couple of 37s, 56 or 58 it doesnt get much better if you ask me!

Cheers,

Fran 

• Like 7

Most of the hoods ended up quite bashed with a noticeable dip in the middle due to shovel loading etc.

It'd be nice if you could tool for this and produce a weathered version for those of us with questionable weathering skills!

Also, I may be wrong but I'm sure they were still in use a year or so beyond 2008. Is anyone able to confirm please?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Also, I may be wrong but I'm sure they were still in use a year or so beyond 2008. Is anyone able to confirm please?

66089 with a rake of HAA MGR wagons at Newport 12.10.2009

(Flickr link-click for info)

Some still in use here in late 2009.

66175 100619 Dover Lock 6F51 Earles -Carl MGR 094522(1)_edited

(Flickr link)

And here in 2010 working from Hope earles sidings.

Edited by Railfreight1998
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1