The HAA and extended MGR family, CDA and MHA in OO/4mm, by Accurascale

1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

Yes, the value for money for a newly tooled wagon of this standard in 2021 is exceptional when you buy in bulk. I have ordered a rake of 27 from the HOP AB packs 1 - 4, which works out at about £22 per wagon with the bundle discount applied. Compare that to the new TMC 24.5t mineral at about £29 RRP (although they're temporarily discounted to £25 - get 'em while you can!).

This announcement won't stop me buying from Cavalex when they release their early bodied versions, I just won't get as many as I would have. They will probably run in a second rake mixed with future Accurascale packs of the same ilk, in order to save costs for a complete rake.

As has already been alluded to, both manufacturers have such a good reputation that I'm sure you'll struggle to tell the difference, as they'll both be spot on!

Cameron

Totally agree Cameron. I hope this doesn't stop people buying the Cavalex version too as their offerings are top notch. I am sure there is room for both.

I used to have 32 Railroad from the red box guys and these were getting quite keen prices last year so I had the foresight to offload them at over £10 a go in anticipation of these. 

The extra £12 for a Champions League wagon versus a League 2 wagon is a no brainer.

Rich.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2021 at 12:06, Accurascale Fran said:

HDA_2.jpg.20b4b7535ca18ded0c84c0edda970d27.jpeg.c0023eee368bdb71482371e0aaaee7cd.jpeg

What a superb looking model!  And jeeuussst within my chosen timeframe.  Tempting.

What I hadn't realised that some of the wagons were individually named, as above.  Will future releases cover other names? Perhaps a boxed set covering all of the BeeGees??

Ralph

Edited by Lambton58
drooling over the keyboard
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, gridwatcher said:

GOING TO BE TRICKY FOR THE HOP AB!??

I was thinking this - will be interesting to see how that works with a coal load!

By the way, what will the strengthening bars be made of? Will they be easy to bend and bash about so that they look like the prototype?!! 

Regards,

Cameron

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Lambton58 said:

What I hadn't realised that some of the wagons were individually named, as above.  Will future releases cover other names?

Many of the Scottish ones had AYR on either the cradle or the body. It would be nice if they could produce these, perhaps even as a limited edition for us Scottish modellers. I don't think Hornby ever produced an AYR version only numerous BARRY ones. Their ltd ed Saltire ones sold very well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

I was thinking this - will be interesting to see how that works with a coal load!

By the way, what will the strengthening bars be made of? Will they be easy to bend and bash about so that they look like the prototype?!! 

Regards,

Cameron

Hi Cameron,

The strengthening bars on the HOP AB are ABS plastic. They will of course respond well to heat! Have at them. The same goes for the canopies.

HDA 368312 with Railfreight red frame and HMA 352774 in debranded coal livery with yellow frame will have "AYR" lettering on the frame. We'll do more in the future of course.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Great news. Been looking forward to these. Some from the first production run will certainly be added to my fleet but fingers crossed a subsequent production run will have a number of original canopied HAAs as seen around Millerhill, Cockenzie, Blindwells, etc.

PJ10 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, McC said:

not exactly the same type but the MHA did carry the ‘coalfish’ moniker

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/mha-wagons

If it helps we're making the lower version first but will go on and do the top version later. To add to the confusion, many of the surviving wagons have been recoded MPA following brake modifications... we'll do some with those TOPS codes in a future run too.

BFC7EDEC-FCE6-4FDA-B581-BCA63C62FD9B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

On 10/06/2021 at 09:05, jonnyuk said:

I've always thought the Hornby 56 is very good, i have a colas and its superb, other loco's surely need a retool before the 56.

Except tooling a new 56 likely also gets you a Class 69 (or the opposite, tooling a Class 69 then also gets you a Class 56), which means somebody is likely to at least consider it once the Class 69 are in service and the modifications are finished.

• Like 1

Well, ive ordered 18 this morning to start off.  I enroll in my local AAA (accura addicts annonymous) on monday night. "Hello, my names Paul and im an accuraholic....."

I expect there to be quite a few of you at the meeting

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 15

12 hours ago, mdvle said:

Except tooling a new 56 likely also gets you a Class 69 (or the opposite, tooling a Class 69 then also gets you a Class 56), which means somebody is likely to at least consider it once the Class 69 are in service and the modifications are finished.

If they can be done with the same tooling. The body might be different to the point it needs a new tool and so wouldn't be 2 for the price of 1.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

If they can be done with the same tooling. The body might be different to the point it needs a new tool and so wouldn't be 2 for the price of 1.

Cab and roof are different…

Roy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Cab and roof are different…

Roy

And I think the bodyside grilles are as well.

I aren't saying it wouldn't be cheaper (same argument I have had about Dapol having a head start on an 88) but it wouldn't be a freebie.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rob D2 said:

MHA , is that a coal fish like Hornby make or some other sub division of spoil wagon ?

certainly looks nice 

As the Accurascale chaps have mentioned just above me, it's a variation of the same family.

For added info, MHA, MPA, MTA and MFA are all referred to as Coalfish and are used interchangeably (save for marshalling restrictions mixing MTA with MHAs, but there's not many (any?) MTAs left in service).

The MPA is an MHA, but with modification to the brakes. The difference to a modeller is that the brakes on an MHA have bolts as they attach to the wheels, whereas on an MPA the friction surface is part of the wheel itself so looks plain.

Coalfish are the staples of my work, along with Salmon, Falcons etc, and every one is different!

Jo

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

58 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

And I think the bodyside grilles are as well.

I aren't saying it wouldn't be cheaper (same argument I have had about Dapol having a head start on an 88) but it wouldn't be a freebie.

The bogies are the same and the main chassis block could be common between both 56 and 69.

Whilst there are lots of detail differences between the 56 and 69 bodies, dimensionally they are the same so if you had the CAD for one, to convert to the other wouldn't be insurmountable. Awkward bits, like the shape of the cab metal work, haven't changed. Just the same variation between cast and fabricated cabs as the 56s have.

The boxes and fuel tank area are different between the two classes.

I'm hoping an enterprising manufacturer runs with this at some point and we end up with an N scale 56 that is actually 56 shaped!

Jo

• Like 1

Well, I’d certainly buy a 56 and a 69 when Accurascale announce them ;)

but going back to the MHA’s, I’ll be placing an order for all 4 packs and look forward to further batches and different variations in the future :good:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shoey said:

Well, I’d certainly buy a 56 and a 69 when Accurascale announce them ;)

but going back to the MHA’s, I’ll be placing an order for all 4 packs and look forward to further batches and different variations in the future :good:

Let's not distract them with notions about 56's. After all, they have an all new class 31 to announce first.... ;) :D

Cameron

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

Hmm, you all forget that the original locomotive hauling Hop AB / HAA were 47s.

A crowded market I hear you cry with Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby in that space, but with 500 to choose from and everyone focussing on 47/0 and 47/4 derivatives big space for a 47/3. :lol:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning everyone,

Wow all this Grid talk! We're big fans of them for sure (right up near the top of my favourite locos for me personally) and I reckon we all will enjoy the 69s.... 

Let's deliver our other locos first and then let's see. :) 

In other news thank you so much to everyone who has placed a pre-order for our MGR hoppers so far. Over 10% of the envisaged run has been accounted for within the first 48 hours of going on sale (havent checked numbers from Sunday just yet!) so it looks like they have struck a cord and we will be increasing the production run. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Excellent announcement!

In a similar vein to your previous wagons, have you put together a rough picture of where the various types mainly ran? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for an excuse to justify a diverse rake!

Unfortunately all the pictures I've seen in my area (the North East) seem to show just the bog standard HAA in various guises; no HDAs so far. I'll keep looking!

Cheers,

Liam

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Excellent announcement!

In a similar vein to your previous wagons, have you put together a rough picture of where the various types mainly ran? I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for an excuse to justify a diverse rake!

Unfortunately all the pictures I've seen in my area (the North East) seem to show just the bog standard HAA in various guises; no HDAs so far. I'll keep looking!

Cheers,

Liam

Hi Liam,

Many thanks! It will be a pretty big formations guide and route map, but give us a bit of time and we will rustle something up!

Cheers! 

Fran

• Like 2