The HAA and extended MGR family, CDA and MHA in OO/4mm, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, I am just trying to work out wagons for a couple of rakes etc, most of those I recall and from pics show very weathered/faded yellow frame or what appears to be EWS maroon. With that in mind, this is going to be the vast quantity, but the Mainline Blue set is tempting me, so did these run mixed with the others or did they seem to operate in a set area? Late 90’s early 20’s is my usual era, my 56’s & 58’s have been crying out for these wagon. 
Thanks in advance. 
Now to join A.A. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

Evening all, I am just trying to work out wagons for a couple of rakes etc, most of those I recall and from pics show very weathered/faded yellow frame or what appears to be EWS maroon. With that in mind, this is going to be the vast quantity, but the Mainline Blue set is tempting me, so did these run mixed with the others or did they seem to operate in a set area? Late 90’s early 20’s is my usual era, my 56’s & 58’s have been crying out for these wagon. 
Thanks in advance. 
Now to join A.A. 

Hi @Ncarter2,

During the days of EWS they did indeed run in mixed liveries; Loadhaul, Transrail, Mainline, EWS and indeed Railfreight red and sector markings with yellow frames did run mixed together to make some great colourful combinations. They also mixed hooded and non hooded wagons as per below, giving you lots of flexibility and operational interest.

56050GB_180999_01

Coal on the Main

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Ncarter2,

During the days of EWS they did indeed run in mixed liveries; Loadhaul, Transrail, Mainline, EWS and indeed Railfreight red and sector markings with yellow frames did run mixed together to make some great colourful combinations. They also mixed hooded and non hooded wagons as per below, giving you lots of flexibility and operational interest.

56050GB_180999_01

Coal on the Main

Cheers!

Fran 

Cheers Fran,

That’s enough for me to be sold!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

You’ve twisted my arm all 4 sets HAA ordered, just need a 58 now to recreate school boy memories of 58005 /7 and possibly 11 running though Leicester around 1985~ memory a bit hazy. 

Edited by farren
Spelling it’s always spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Ncarter2,

Cheers!

Fran 

Cracking photos Fran. the mixture of canopied and non-canopied types is interesting. It could be an expensive year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Cracking photos Fran. the mixture of canopied and non-canopied types is interesting. It could be an expensive year!

Thanks @Pillar, one of which is from the Project Manager over our MGR wagons! The shadow privitisiaton and early years of EWS were certainly a colourful era with lots of liveries mixed in and the Autumn of many heritage diesels before the 66s began to appear in 98. I do wonder will it become an era that many of us see with fond nostalgia in the coming years? Hard to believe that era was 25+ years ago now!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Thanks @Pillar, one of which is from the Project Manager over our MGR wagons! The shadow privitisiaton and early years of EWS were certainly a colourful era with lots of liveries mixed in and the Autumn of many heritage diesels before the 66s began to appear in 98. I do wonder will it become an era that many of us see with fond nostalgia in the coming years? Hard to believe that era was 25+ years ago now!

Cheers!

Fran 

None  of us are getting any younger Fran. Nostalgic indeed. On a separate note, someone sent me an old picture of a Peak travelling along a now long disused line at Havercroft. The date taken was post the transition from Steam. My age at that time it was taken.............about 1.:)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

None  of us are getting any younger Fran. Nostalgic indeed. On a separate note, someone sent me an old picture of a Peak travelling along a now long disused line at Havercroft. The date taken was post the transition from Steam. My age at that time it was taken.............about 1.:)

Speaking of steam, I haven't seen anyone post a picture yet of the MGRs being hauled by a steam loco! I'm sure I've seen one before somewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Speaking of steam, I haven't seen anyone post a picture yet of the MGRs being hauled by a steam loco! I'm sure I've seen one before somewhere.

Ask and ye shall receive! I think someone sent this into us, but I cannot find the name of the person who did... 

303948610_image(23).png.f024455f21ed46c257242c2ce5fe451c.png

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Ask and ye shall receive! I think someone sent this into us, but I cannot find the name of the person who did... 

Could it be from here?

A thread which throws up these images:

... and then there are all of the Alan Thompson phots of J27's moving rakes of HAA's around Heaton Yards & the Ashington/ellington/Lynemouth area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Wow, those WDs on HOP ABs, I'm in love!

With what at the time, was all the unsavoury negotiations going on between the Coal Board & BR, about who would be paying for what, regarding new MGR Civil engineering works, and with BR trying to project the new "Modern Image"; I bet when management saw new HAA's being hauled by a clapped out steamer, they thought, "Oh FFFffff!"

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 3

I take it the steam locos were only used to move rakes of wagons from A to B, or with conventional loading/unloading? I can't imagine them being able to crawl at 0.5mph through the unloading facility at a power station.

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Outrageous statement 

Thanks.  :smile_mini:  I like clapped out things that can usually be brought back from the dead with nothing more than a little tickling with a big hammer.

50 minutes ago, Pillar said:

I can't imagine them being able to crawl at 0.5mph through the unloading facility at a power station.

Some early MGR Rapid loaders/unloaders had wheel pusher sleds that moved wagons through the bunkers. Wearmouth colliery had this type of system till closure.

HAA-sleds-Wearmouth.jpg.b306e3ca61b6e04a2cb91c09040a252c.jpg

P

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran 

In some respects more efficient even than a diesel as that would have to stop and refuel, this one could replenish it's coal whilst also loading the wagons.  With a trough for water and a crew change whilst crawling for the loading it would only need to stop to drop it's ash, which with a more modern design could be done on the move too.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Of course we mustn't forget the industrial steam which powered on post 1968 and into the 80s. Bickershaw Colliery, anyone?

Cheers!

Fran 

Which is exactly what I have planned for my batch of 'em.  :good:

• Like 3

From the days when coal was not a dirty word.  (environmentally speaking & pun fully intentional).

468670392_HAA-E24-25-19PwD_1998Sm.jpg.120edaa8f0d49675f74e1b2273dcdcb1.jpg

(B) 357???

1785113537_HAA-E24-25-21PwD_1998Sm.jpg.77f9ebf8ca1e9df83c2abb2dac46625c.jpg

Food for thought.

288088763_HAA-E24-25-22PwD_1998Sm.jpg.a1511af748d503b676271ec8c09cb30a.jpg

Power Station Best.  (Still not as good as Nutty Slack). Shows load settlement after travelling 8 miles from Wardley rapid loader at White Mare Pool.

HAA-sleds-Wearmouth.jpg.d8fc94502125f5d9d1522a8580f6883d.jpgWearmouth. Freshly loaded. 

Must dig out the trans/negs so I can do a decent scan.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

From the days when coal was not a dirty word.  (enviromentally speaking & pun fully intentional).

1572026634_HAA-E24-25-b_1998.jpg.d89fea0772655013240c9b53caefa07c.jpg

(B) 357???

Oh and what are those in the background, they look like more coal wagons of a different type that have to be on Accurascale's list alongside the humble 16t

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran 

A picture which nicely shows the potential difficulty in making coal loads for the early bodied variants - note the strengthening bars partially covered by the load.

Challenge accepted anyone??? :) 

Cameron