The HAA and extended MGR family, CDA and MHA in OO/4mm, by Accurascale

• 2 weeks later...

Given the range of coveringo of the MGR fleet, any chance of a 'first and last' MGR wagon as preserved at Shildon 350000 and 368459, which would also be a nice showpiece for modellers to get a range of varients you are capturing but in a single set. Or the 'gate guard' at Knottingly 350002.

Us present day preservation modellers would apprecaite these fine models, but can't justify a whole pack of long-scrapped vehicles....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Given the range of coveringo of the MGR fleet, any chance of a 'first and last' MGR wagon as preserved at Shildon 350000 and 368459, which would also be a nice showpiece for modellers to get a range of varients you are capturing but in a single set. Or the 'gate guard' at Knottingly 350002.

Us present day preservation modellers would apprecaite these fine models, but can't justify a whole pack of long-scrapped vehicles....

I think Locomotion teamed up with Cavalex on that one.

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

That's a shame (mainly because I think the Accurascale model will be a better piece of kit).

But nothing to stop Accurascale doing their own independently of the NRM....

What makes you think that?

Cavalex's previous models have been excellent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

Need more MHA's, 4 EWS wagons just isn't going to cut it for anything resembling engineering/spoil train when the real thing can be 30+ wagons.

If it's like anything else they do, I can bet that there will be another couple of packs with different running numbers released in due course...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Hi @G-BOAF,

We have done (and currently working on) some models for Railway Museum but B350000 was one we couldn't take up as we found there was the litany of detail differences which are apparent when we looked across the real thing at Shildon a couple of years back. 

The most obvious differences between the prototype hopper B350000 and the production HAAs are the door operating gear covers and the slave levers on the opposite sides. The prototype featured a very distinctive semi-enclosed box with the inside of the gearwheel partially showing while later wagons had fully enclosed gears, while the door levers on the production batch were not full curved at the connecting rod end. There are many other small changes as you'd expect from a prototype, including a subtly altered chassis frame, different riveting on the hopper sub frame, alternative piping runs for the air brake pipes that travel on the side of the solebar, the disc brake actuating cylinder, the safety catches, and so on. It was too difficult to justify a large amount of tooling just for a one off wagon as a special edition, as much as we wanted to do it, and we certainly couldnt bring ourselves to fudge it. That's just not what we do after all. Oh well! 

Cheers!

Fran  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

Need more MHA's, 4 EWS wagons just isn't going to cut it for anything resembling engineering/spoil train when the real thing can be 30+ wagons.

Hi @Ruairidh Munro,

Just the 12 MHAs in this first run, but they've been very popular so I can see more numbers coming in run 2. A bit of a rake builder situation for now with this first release.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Ruairidh Munro,

Just the 12 MHAs in this first run, but they've been very popular so I can see more numbers coming in run 2. A bit of a rake builder situation for now with this first release.

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran,

That’s my plan as I’ve ordered the 12 of these and hopefully the same will follow with the alternate body type in the future with the handful of MTA’s/MFA’s I already have to mix in will produce a nice engineers rake.

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Fran,

That’s my plan as I’ve ordered the 12 of these and hopefully the same will follow with the alternate body type in the future with the handful of MTA’s/MFA’s I already have to mix in will produce a nice engineers rake.

cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

All part of the plan! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Fran,

cheers

Mark

Bear in mind that you can team them up with Hornby ones. 7 different Hornby ones were available new in recent history, a one off, a 3 pack and then 3 in the pack with the 67 in it.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Bear in mind that you can team them up with Hornby ones. 7 different Hornby ones were available new in recent history, a one off, a 3 pack and then 3 in the pack with the 67 in it.

But the incorrect underframe height of the Hornby version will be very noticeable if mixed with correctly dimensioned Accurascale versions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Us present day preservation modellers would appreciate these fine models, but can't justify a whole pack of long-scrapped vehicles....

You need the four preserved by the National Wagon Preservation Group:

HMA 355798

HAA 354966

CDA 353224 (HAA conversion rather than new build)

HAA 354456

Steven B

12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion but I had a 3 pack of Hornby’s first version with the high body which I sold a while back and I do have the later version triple pack which I will also be selling to make way for the Accurascale versions. I’ve reduced the MTA’s/MFA’s to just the ones I want to mix in and I’m quite happy to wait for the other body type from Fran & the team which will eventually give a set 30 odd wagons long. The Accurascale MHA’s from what we’ve seen already will be far better in so many aspects I’m more than happy to wait for them. 

thanks

Mark

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2021 at 10:49, markw said:

But the incorrect underframe height of the Hornby version will be very noticeable if mixed with correctly dimensioned Accurascale versions.

I am just thinking about how big a difference this is. @Accurascale Fran @McC are the livery pictures on the site based on CAD? I have had a go at scaling the pic to suit the length of the Hornby MHA box, lining the top of the box up and then to see how big the difference is on the chassis. Looks to me like the Hornby is a couple of mm taller if the images are based on CAD, my pics were taken from a distance with 10x zoom to minimise perspective error but it is still evident. That leaves me in a bit of a quandary, as it may look fine or stick out like a sore thumb. At least in my current rake of 7 MHAs I also have 4 JNA falcons, I could separate the 2 different types of MHA with the JNAs.

20210811_133951.jpg

20210811_134316.jpg

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold

It would probably be closer to match the wheels for example which should in theory be the same. The livery drawings are side profiles from the CAD. There are also side on photos you can try match 

• Thanks 1

On 30/07/2021 at 10:49, markw said:

Am I correct in thinking that the Hornby ones use 14mm wheels? Could you lose the extra height on the Hornby vehicles by substituting the nominally 12mm wheels, fitting brake discs on one wheel of each axle? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

HAA MGR and CDA China Clay Hopper Wagon Update!

Our latest all new wagon project, the iconic MGR family of HAA wagons and its many derivatives such as the CDA China Clay hopper, was announced in early June.

Both production and sales have been swift to say the least! Over 50% of our allocation is now sold out, with retailers also reporting strong sales across all types of the HAA family.

As you can see below, production of the first batch is progressing nicely, with the original HAA, HCA and CDA due to finish production in December and arrive in Q1 2022. Decoration is currently underway on these ahead of final assembly.

1211954338_HAAproduction1.jpg.a78f3b0cd1e9b33e0e2c1b417cfdebbd.jpg

1982580269_HAAproduction2.jpg.44f739f5767c53e91652b78619cb6418.jpg

The second batch of the first production run featuring the MHA, HDA, HMA and HBA will arrive in Q2 2022!

Our wagons feature a wide variety of separately applied detail, a diverse tooling suite to offer a large range of detail variation and bespoke artwork for individual wagon differences and numbers. With each three pack priced at just £74.95 each and a 10% discount when you buy two or more packs direct from our website they offer unbeatable bang for your buck!

Check out the first run packs on our website and place your pre-order today: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/merry-go-round-mgr and the CDA: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/cda-china-clay

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Question? Are all the freight brown ones hop-AB ? Or are some tops with HAA data panels? 

They are a mixture, I had the same question early on.

If you open up the photos on each pack, the very last image is a computer mock up of the livery, rather than a photo of a physical sample. Essentially, packs 1 & 2 are pre tops, and coded HOP AB. Packs 3 & 4 are post tops, coded HAA. The style of the data panels vary between each pack, as they did in real life, and I assume the mock ups represent how Accurascale are planning on portraying them. 

As I model the transitional late 70's, all four packs are suitable for me!  

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Good news! The first production samples arrived with us this week for assessment.

821452245_ImagefromiOS(48).jpg.bd29dffb3711eb79f681e75084b24ddc.jpg

187566121_HOPABpack.jpg.d35b31fd5cb6efb89409c5c09a215e24.jpg

The first delivery of these wagons will arrive in stock towards the end of Q1, 2022 consisting of the HAA, HCA and CDA. These will then be followed by the remaining MHA, HDA, HMA and HBA which will arrive in Q2 2022.

We have recently updated our website to show artwork for all wagons, so make sure you have a browse and see the artwork for each wagon in each pack.

MGR: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/merry-go-round-mgr

CDA: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/cda-china-clay

MHA: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/mha-wagons

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1