The Drawings of W.D.Stewart and Nick Campling

I'm hopeful someone can help me out with an inquiry; I've been a long purveyor of locomotive and rolling stock drawings, and I've come across both W.D.Stewart and Nick Campling's work multiple times, but only in certain capacities.

As I understand it both men developed a large body of work over their lifetimes but I've been unable to get any sort of idea as to what exactly they did overall (Stewart's Scottish drawings are fairly easy to access along with Campling's work in the Historic Carriage Drawings series of books), researching on my own hasn't gotten me very far and there's only so much that I've been able to determine was published in magazines like Railway Modeller.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What drawings were published in old Railway Modellers?

Try this. Has a list of all the drawings published up until the mid 1980s in Railway Modeller, Model Railway Constructor and Model Railway News/Model Railways. I doesn't tell you who drew what though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Railway-Constructor-Special-Reference/dp/0711015252

Jason

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Try this. Has a list of all the drawings published up until the mid 1980s in Railway Modeller, Model Railway Constructor and Model Railway News/Model Railways. I doesn't tell you who drew what though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Railway-Constructor-Special-Reference/dp/0711015252

Jason

An obvious problem is that a lot of drawings have been published since then!

Many/most are brand new or perhaps redrawn on computer, but others are just reprinted from often several decades ago.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Synch said:

I'm hopeful someone can help me out with an inquiry; I've been a long purveyor of locomotive and rolling stock drawings, and I've come across both W.D.Stewart and Nick Campling's work multiple times, but only in certain capacities.

As I understand it both men developed a large body of work over their lifetimes but I've been unable to get any sort of idea as to what exactly they did overall (Stewart's Scottish drawings are fairly easy to access along with Campling's work in the Historic Carriage Drawings series of books), researching on my own hasn't gotten me very far and there's only so much that I've been able to determine was published in magazines like Railway Modeller.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Nick Campling had a few drawings published MRC in the early 70s. Later early issues of MRJ.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I think Ian Beattie did a lot of the drawings in RM, some of which were also captured in the "Locomotives of..." series of books

Edited by sjp23480
added text

W.D.Stewart published sporadically in RM from 1971-1976, mainly Scottish prototypes but the last one I can recall from memory was a double-header of the Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0s of the H&BR (LNER J28) and M&CR (No. 29 - 30) in September 1976. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

An obvious problem is that a lot of drawings have been published since then!

Many/most are brand new or perhaps redrawn on computer, but others are just reprinted from often several decades ago.

Probably not by the people mentioned though. The drawings in those books were first published in the 1960s. Then republished by the HMRS in the 1990s.

I don't know much about W D Stewart, but Nick Campling died a couple of years ago and I don't think he was a spring chicken then. He was a contemporary of people like David Jenkinson and Bob Essery.

His obituary is here.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13116

Also worth considering Ian Beattie has been dead for about twenty years and I don't think he did many new ones after about 1990. Anything by him in magazines or books since then are just rehashes of old drawings. Some of which are known to be inaccurate.

Ones that I know that have been heavily criticised is LNER B1, V2, SR Q and LTSR 4-4-2T.

Jason

34 minutes ago, CKPR said:

W.D.Stewart published sporadically in RM from 1971-1976, mainly Scottish prototypes but the last one I can recall from memory was a double-header of the Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-6-0s of the H&BR (LNER J28) and M&CR (No. 29 - 30) in September 1976. 

Ah. I know which ones you mean. Did drawings of things like GSWR Smellie locomotives and the CR Pickersgill Greyback 4-6-0s

I was starting to get confused that it was the same man who drew the industrial locomotives about the same time, but that was a R M Drake-Brockman.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Railway Modeller had a series entitled "Locomotives of the LNER" in the 1970s which featured Nick Campling's drawings.  One I was looking at recently was for the P1 2-8-2, which was published in the January 1973 edition; I'm sure there were others.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Probably not by the people mentioned though. The drawings in those books were first published in the 1960s. Then republished by the HMRS in the 1990s.

I don't know much about W D Stewart, but Nick Campling died a couple of years ago and I don't think he was a spring chicken then. He was a contemporary of people like David Jenkinson and Bob Essery.

His obituary is here.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13116

Also worth considering Ian Beattie has been dead for about twenty years and I don't think he did many new ones after about 1990. Anything by him in magazines or books since then are just rehashes of old drawings. Some of which are known to be inaccurate.

Ones that I know that have been heavily criticised is LNER B1, V2, SR Q and LTSR 4-4-2T.

Jason

New drawings by Ian Beattie appeared regularly throughout the 1990s and into 2000.

Yes, sometimes they were repeated as is, generally when accompanying a kit being constructed or sometimes a model review. On at least one occasion, a batch were repeated to suit N scale.

In the 90s he often drew other subjects rather than locos, he did some on BR Mk1 coaches, Midland TPO and even some Midland/LMS freight wagons.

Often there were corrections to his drawings, sometimes with revised sketches on the offending error in later issues. These never seem to be remembered, which I admit is hard to do for a magazine.

I  guess it comes down to two things 1/ Is there an error? 2/ Does the draftsman admit the error.

Willie Stewart’s Scottish drawings went to the relevant line societies and copies can be had from them.  

From the ones I have used I can vouch for their accuracy, Willie always tried to   work from a GA drawing but was very careful in checking other sources too.  His one foible was that he tended to draw the subject from the least cluttered side.  On most of the G&SWR locos, of which I am most familiar, that meant the left hand side. Details of the reverser and Westinghouse pumps, when fitted, were thus missing.

Ian

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ian@stenochs said:

Willie Stewart’s Scottish drawings went to the relevant line societies and copies can be had from them.  

From the ones I have used I can vouch for their accuracy, Willie always tried to   work from a GA drawing but was very careful in checking other sources too.  His one foible was that he tended to draw the subject from the least cluttered side.  On most of the G&SWR locos, of which I am most familiar, that meant the left hand side. Details of the reverser and Westinghouse pumps, when fitted, were thus missing.

Ian

Or as a Scotsman, he realised that he needed less ink!

Sorry I couldn't resist. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ian@stenochs said:

Ian

I have found the Caley Brittain's Oban Bogie 4-4-0 RM 1974 March which has the pump drawn as apparently was correct for No. 188 on the LHS.

GSWR Smellie's '119' Class Greenock Bogie, is stated to be on the RHS. RM 1975 March

GSWR R.H. Whitelegg 'Baltic Tanks' not shown or mentioned so RHS? RM 1975 July

Highland Peter Drummond's 'Big Ben' 4-4-0  shown on RHS in front elevation  RM 1976 July

For RM 1976 September 2 locos H&BR 0-6-0  & Maryport & Carlisle 0-6-0  neither had pumps, but both had the reversing lever on the RHS.

Reid's NBR Atlantics RM 1976 March Differences between 2 batches.

Furness Baltic Tanks 1977 RM January

Drummond & Whitelegg 0-6-2T's of the GSWR  RM 1977 February

McIntosh's '492' Class 0-8-0T of the Caledonian RM 1977 March

LD&ECR 0-6-4T's RM 1978 April

Stirling 0-8-0s of the H&BR  RM 1979 March

That's all I've found so far, but every one is drawn showing the LHS, so it appeared that was his standard.

Seems to have been busy in the mid to late 70s.

Edited by kevinlms