Falmouth branch line

Last Saturday I was  waiting at Perranwell for a train to Falmouth, I just missed the first train back and watched it leave towards Falmouth - then half an hour later another train arrived from Truro. Usually the second train would have come from Falmouth, gone on to Truro then gone back to Falmouth, was this replacing a train that had left the branch? I can’t get my head around it 

It seems to take 23 {+} minutes for the journey each way, with a train leaving Truro every 30 minutes.  That rather implies they have 2 trains shuttling back and forth {or a Pixie tunnel for fast returns to Truro!!}.

Edited by jcredfer

22 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

They cross at Penryn, the first one down the branch crosses at Penryn with the 2nd one down.

Quite a novel system, with both trains using the same {extended} platform.  Train from Falmouth enters the station and moves to the far end of the platform, 2, which is to the right.  Stops and passengers do their thing.  The train from Truro gets switched into the passing loop.  When both trains are in this position, the train from Truro can continue to be switched back to the single line - halfway down the platform.  Once through the points, it can stop at platform 1 and passengers do their thing.  All things being equal, both trains are in a position to proceed when they require.

[Platform 2 Extension __________________________Platform 1]

Truro  .................................................................  Penrhyn  .......................................................................Falmouth

\........................................................../

Two platforms, but joined end to end, saving on station width and the need for passengers to cross the rails.  Somebody thought about that...  nice one.   :)

It rather explains why Geevor Clayton could miss seeing the Truro-bound train leave the station, before he just caught sight of the Falmouth-bound one disappearing in the distance.  Quite how the next train from Truro arrived, with no train from Falmouth already in the station remains to be explained, perhaps a gap in the service timetable?

Edited by jcredfer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The OP's point was that both trains were travelling in the same direction - Truro to Falmouth, not that there were two trains within the time period.

As he says, an unusual situation.

I think the Penryn platform layout is fairly well known now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The OP's point was that both trains were travelling in the same direction - Truro to Falmouth, not that there were two trains within the time period.

As he says, an unusual situation.

I think the Penryn platform layout is fairly well known now.

Indeed so, I was typing an addition to my post as you posted.

• Like 2