Northern sending their Class 153’s for storage.

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Over the last week, several de-branded ex Northern Class 153’s have been tripped down from Heaton to Ely Papworth Sidings.  153’s 317, 304, 315 and 378 came down on the 7th and 153301, 351 and 352 on the 8th.

Are Northern disposing of their Class 153’s and if they are, would they be Ely bound?

6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Over the last week, several de-branded ex Northern Class 153’s have been tripped down from Heaton to Ely Papworth Sidings.  153’s 317, 304, 315 and 378 came down on the 7th and 153301, 351 and 352 on the 8th.

Are Northern disposing of their Class 153’s and if they are, would they be Ely bound?

Most of EMRs have already gone elsewhere, some in temporary use as additional vehicles by TFW. So long as they're coupled to a PRM compliant unit they can run for now but with the toilet locked out of use, renumbered as /9 sub class.

5 went to Ely initially but 4 were then forwarded to TFW I believe, others went direct to Wales. The other one, 153302, sat around for some time looking rather forelorn and eventually turned up at the Harry Needle facility at Worksop, still looking down at heel with the wheels chocked and door partially open. It has since disappeared but may be elsewhere among the vast quantity of stored stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, great central said:

Most of EMRs have already gone elsewhere, some in temporary use as additional vehicles by TFW. So long as they're coupled to a PRM compliant unit they can run for now but with the toilet locked out of use, renumbered as /9 sub class.

5 went to Ely initially but 4 were then forwarded to TFW I believe, others went direct to Wales. The other one, 153302, sat around for some time looking rather forelorn and eventually turned up at the Harry Needle facility at Worksop, still looking down at heel with the wheels chocked and door partially open. It has since disappeared but may be elsewhere among the vast quantity of stored stock.

Some of the ex EMR’s that went to TfW appear to have been refurbished and repainted into their paint scheme but as I was asking about the ex Northern units, I was wondering if they had a future or just to storage, then a one way trip to the scrap dealers.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Some of the ex EMR’s that went to TfW appear to have been refurbished and repainted into their paint scheme but as I was asking about the ex Northern units, I was wondering if they had a future or just to storage, then a one way trip to the scrap dealers.

As a single car unit, they are pretty useless as the toilet has to be locked out of use and fitting a PRN compliant one takes out too many seats to be viable.

At one stage there was talk of converting them back to 155 twin cars, but I suspect the massive drop in ridership and uncertain future for commuting means such a rebuild won't be worthwhile for the leasing company.

As such I predict either storage (for a short while) then either being sold overseas or scrapped. A shame in some ways given their compatibility of the 15X fleet which would make them good 'strengthening' vehicles to add to other units, however with several operators having fleet replacement programmes underway it won't be too long before various 15x fleets start finding themselves out of work anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, jools1959 said:

On a small side note, only the Angel Trains leased units will be heading down to Ely. Porterbrook vehicles will either go to Burton or to Long Marston (when Porterbrook take's ownership). 

• Like 1

I wonder if any would be snapped up for preserved lines?  An article in the previous KWVR house-mag speculated one or two might be useful for the 'community rail' type idea that's being kicked around at the moment.  No idea how that would work as regards the accessibility/toilet issue though.

I know the units are a bit boxy and uninspired, design-wise, but I have a soft spot for them after using the 153 on the Stourbridge Town line as a student.  I'd like to see at least one preserved in use :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

You would think it would be worth attaching them to other units to make three car units as if the other unit is compliant it shouldn't matter that the 153 isn't 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, russ p said:

You would think it would be worth attaching them to other units to make three car units as if the other unit is compliant it shouldn't matter that the 153 isn't 

That has been happening up here for a while but given that a load of new units have turned up I’m guessing there is enough 158s spare for them to be surplus as they seem to be covering everything the 153s used to do now.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think I’ve read that Network Rail are taking on some 153s. It wasn’t on 1st April so can only assume a use has been identified for them.

I guess that as TOCs have been buying loads of new trains and had written 153s out of their plans that combine with lower passenger numbers, other than TfW no one really needs them now

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Curlew said:

Maybe could be converted to unpowered coaches on preserved lines. They have lots of windows, giving good visibility - superior to BR MK1s and other existing vehicles.

Why ditch the engines - they will give a better ride than the 14X units some railways have purchased.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2021 at 21:36, black and decker boy said:

I think I’ve read that Network Rail are taking on some 153s. It wasn’t on 1st April so can only assume a use has been identified for them.

I guess that as TOCs have been buying loads of new trains and had written 153s out of their plans that combine with lower passenger numbers, other than TfW no one really needs them now

Potentially for use as track inspection units, particularly around complex station layouts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

Potentially for use as track inspection units, particularly around complex station layouts. 

I'd imagine it would probably be more economical for branch lines, especially those with weight restrictions, than having to roster a pair of 37's or loco/Dvt.  I wonder if the existing Sprinter conversion they have is nearing being life expired?

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2021 at 00:25, Ben B said:

I'd imagine it would probably be more economical for branch lines, especially those with weight restrictions, than having to roster a pair of 37's or loco/Dvt.  I wonder if the existing Sprinter conversion they have is nearing being life expired?

Depends on the ability to get the required equipment on board. The yellow fleet is under intense use, and with the requirements to remove open line inspections there has been a need to cover critical inspections by alternative means. The 153’s are currently being evaluated for S&C inspection, the current MPV cannot cope with the demand that is coming. No plans to dispose of the converted 150. As for the DVT’s, bit of a waste, never really used and now stored, pending disposal I believe. The test fleet will be expanding over the coming years. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Could they not be used to strengthen the 155’s into 3 cars.

On Northern at least, a lot of platforms still won't take 3x23m vehicles, hence all the 2 car 195s in the order. For example, the original plan for Huddersfield - Sheffield was to use 3 car 150s using the 150/2s to lengthen 2 x 150/1s. That was changed during a later round of DfT blue sky thinking to 150+153 (using the compliant toilet in the 150) at which point platform 2 at Huddersfield had to be lengthened. Goodness knows what's actually on there at the moment. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If a 153 is coupled to a unit with an accessible toilet why should the toilet in the 153 have to be locked out of use? That just seems perverse if it is true. Presumably if true a command from DaFT as I can't imagine any railway operator making such a decision.

Jonathan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Three ex-EMT 153s are currently on site at Loram/RTC Derby.

Yellow 153 anyone?

Yes please! Although I did used to like the Railtrack blue and green, a 153 would look good in that IMO.