"We value your privacy" box

• RMweb Premium

For the past few days, this appears every time I start RMweb. Is there a way to force it to start in minimised form rather than the big box in the middle of the screen? I'm unlikely to change my preferences session by session.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, big jim said:

Cant get rid of it on the mobile version either even if you ‘save and close’

505E8258-2D2A-4BE4-BCD6-122BABFF8D84.jpeg.536f4ce7e8abcba51caae6395606166f.jpeg

I don't mind that little blue tab. I'd rather not see the big box every time I start RMweb though.

• Moderators

Yup, our IT people have been tinkering.

Once accepted I only see the Privacy tab at the bottom right-hand corner but I have questioned this up the chain as it does interrupt some mobile functionality.

If the pop-up is there each time you come to the site is your browser set to clear cookies after each session? If so it needs to ask approval each time.

It may be worth clearing any RMweb cookies from your browser and trying again to see if that changes the behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Yup, our IT people have been tinkering.

Once accepted I only see the Privacy tab at the bottom right-hand corner but I have questioned this up the chain as it does interrupt some mobile functionality.

If the pop-up is there each time you come to the site is your browser set to clear cookies after each session? If so it needs to ask approval each time.

It may be worth clearing any RMweb cookies from your browser and trying again to see if that changes the behaviour.

Browser (Firefox) NOT set to clear cookies.

RMweb cookies cleared.

Logged out of RMweb.

Closed and reopened browser.

Started  RMweb.

Big box still popped up (this is before signing in).

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

RMweb cookies cleared.

Logged out of RMweb.

Started  RMweb.

It should pop up in that process (as the cookies are cleared) - check the Remember Me box - so it'll be interesting to see what happens next time you leave and then return. I never get to leave. :mad_mini:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

On my PC, I get the pop up window every time I open an individual conversation and then again when I return to the "view new content" page.  Accepting or rejecting all options makes no difference.

Thanks; there's obviously some issues - I'll bring @SteveCole in on it to liaise with IT.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe this all started with an earnest EU idea to ensure we know about cookies, which seems fair enough. But once we are confirmed as members, and some of us are paying members, it might reasonably be assumed we have accepted the Ts & Cs, so is it unnecessary? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I believe there is talk of changing the rules governing cookies as some companies are 'comercializing' them. You get an option to either 'accept all preferences' OR have the faf of running through a long list of options to opt in or out of them. Guess what ? Most just click 'Accept All' thereby agreeing to being bombarded with crap. I'm NOT aiming this at RmWeb as I don't think they use this tactic. I think the Rule change is to make it  so that your First and easiest choice is MINIMUM contact ? And that you then have to opt IN to more marketing. I think we have to accept that Warner Bros are trying to find a good balance between Subscription/ Advertising that covers the cost of running the Forum. Must admit I only saw the big box once, on logging in from a new browser and on all platforms subsequently  am only seeing the small blue privacy button mentioned by Andy.

I know it can be annoying but believe me there are FAR worse sites to visit out there that are almost impossible to navigate due to the 'Click bait' advertising plastered right through them !

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe this all started with an earnest EU idea to ensure we know about cookies, which seems fair enough.

The starting premise was laudable but the practical execution of it has made it a nightmare for the web uneducated and unwary. A case of being careful what you wish for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

How do you clear the irritating small blue box from the corner? Answered the security questions so done not needed. Just screen clutter to get in the way of badly aimed fingers when you need to hit the back to the top button.

Edited by john new
Added extra observation
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2021 at 14:40, Matt C said:

I believe there is talk of changing the rules governing cookies as some companies are 'comercializing' them. You get an option to either 'accept all preferences' OR have the faf of running through a long list of options to opt in or out of them. Guess what ? Most just click 'Accept All' thereby agreeing to being bombarded with crap. I'm NOT aiming this at RmWeb as I don't think they use this tactic. I think the Rule change is to make it  so that your First and easiest choice is MINIMUM contact ? And that you then have to opt IN to more marketing. I think we have to accept that Warner Bros are trying to find a good balance between Subscription/ Advertising that covers the cost of running the Forum. Must admit I only saw the big box once, on logging in from a new browser and on all platforms subsequently  am only seeing the small blue privacy button mentioned by Andy.

I know it can be annoying but believe me there are FAR worse sites to visit out there that are almost impossible to navigate due to the 'Click bait' advertising plastered right through them !

The real problem is that the rules aren't enforced - so while the law says that opting out must be just as easy as opting in, 90% of sites out there make it a real pain to opt out, but nothing is done about it. This is certainly one of the better ones - at least it was only two clicks here (I've just tried it in a new broswer just to see what came up, and there was a nice reject all button on the second page, so kudos to Warner Media there)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually this is one of the sites that  I am happy to Accept most of their options, I Dont MIND getting personalized Adds, I don't MIND them gathering data that helps keep the site running smoothly etc, etc

What bugs me is briefly visiting a site to look at something thats caught my eye, that I MIGHT be interested in, to get a ruddy great Cookie Banner blocking the page that wants me to click one nice big button to accept a never ending stream of crap, that they make much more  difficult  to say no to, before I've even had a chance to decide if I'm interested in their site !  Afraid now I just close tab and move on :rolleyes:

Edited by Matt C
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The privacy functionality seems to work on the desktop but not at all on the Android devices. I do object most strongly to the location data being collected and it seems that the RMweb software overrides the settings on the Android devices.

• RMweb Gold

I'm on Android majority of the time, I just switched location off with no problems. . Now back on thats to say using the on site privacy blue button settings, not the device settings

Edited by Matt C

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2021 at 20:41, St Enodoc said:

Browser (Firefox) NOT set to clear cookies.

RMweb cookies cleared.

Logged out of RMweb.

Started  RMweb.

No change to the above since last week but, interestingly, I've now had the chance to try RMweb on my work computer (don't worry, it's lunchtime) which runs Chrome as browser and the box hasn't popped up at all.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve been getting it popping up on and off all the time I’ve been viewing posts in RMweb for the last two days. I press “accept” but then it returns soon after. It’s not some kind of hacking that’s happened?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It’s not some kind of hacking that’s happened?

No; just our IT department.

There's another topic on the go.

• Friendly/supportive 1