MR goods train classification question

Nick Lawson

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

To save me repeating it all (again) h if anyone is interestd in the distinctions between Passenger and Goods rated traffics and how they were handled have a read of my explanatory posts in this thread.  But make sure you read my posts because somebody else posted some confused and inaccurate nonsense earlier in the thread which is rather misleading.

I have found that very interesting - for instance, I hadn't really understood the term "mileage" before, making sense of the description of certain goods yard sidings as "mileage sidings". For the benefit of the reading public, Mike's exposition is in these three posts (remember to click on the arrow icon to go straight to the post rather than the beginning of the topic):

Hope I haven't missed any? There are several other posts that deal with Lampeter specifically but, I think, provide pointers for research into the traffic at any wayside station, and also with timetabling, which is more out-of-scope for the present discussion.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I had always thought of catalogue companies as a post WW2 industry,

Empire Stores launched its first mail order catalogue in 1890 and Grattan in 1912.

Both were started and based in Bradford and accounted for a significant volume of railway traffic.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I have found that very interesting - for instance, I hadn't really understood the term "mileage" before, making sense of the description of certain goods yard sidings as "mileage sidings". For the benefit of the reading public, Mike's exposition is in these three posts.

Yes, I consider myself fortunate enough to have landed on that Lampeter shunting question and have already squirelled away those informative posts. 

You (Mike) really should crack on and get that book of yours published if it's going to be full of priceless stuff like this.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

You (Mike) really should crack on and get that book of yours published if it's going to be full of priceless stuff like this.

Hard to edit into a continuous, structured text. I suggest a sort of Confucian common-place book of The Wisdom of The Stationmaster, set in italic font and dedicated to a certain South Walian member.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Pryce-Jones of Newtown Mid-Wales is generally quoted as being the first company to have a substantial mail order business. The railway arrived in Newtown in 1859 but as it only went to Llanidloes it almost certainly required the opening of the Oswestry and Newtown before the business could expand. Pryce-Jones is also credited with inventing the sleeping bag. For more see Wiki.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Two large multi-storey brick buildings that still stand in Newtown, near the station and dominate it, are former Pryce-Jones warehouses.

If you visit the rival vineyard (Western Thunder) and look in the topic Workbenches including workshop techniques,  and find Ian Rathbone's Workshop forum, you will come across a delightful model of a LNWR six-wheel parcel van carrying Pryce-Jones headboards Newtown-Euston. Its the fourth or fifth picture from the start but to view the photos at a decent size may need you to sign in.

Crimson Rambler

• Like 2