Purbeck clay tramway

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

This began life as a thread with every intention to be based on the South Western Pottery, a short standard gauge line down to Salterns Pier on Poole Harbour via the pottery. Unfortunately the supplier of the required buildings seems to have suffered a hiatus, added to this calamity, the oh-so-expensive HOf stock for the narrow gauge feeder weren't very good.

A few months passed, the baseboards are now due to be delieved and the Peco code 75 track has arrived - thankfully logic prevailed and the pottery has morphed into a standard gauge tramway following the route of Fayles down to Goathorn, the Peckett W4 George Jennings has migrated across Poole harbour and the couple of buildings already built will be repurposed.

Goathorn_Route.jpg.d221b3eccb6984b3137f98f7104dbc63.jpg

Rather than anything ambitious, the layout will merely the maintenance yard at the southern end of the line because I rather like the unkempt wildness of Purbeck away from the crowds.

Through_Grass500.jpg.628da0edd818fd304ed9f594999f0ef3.jpg

A start has been made on a locoshed, just big enough for the Peckett, I think that the original looked something like this but bigger:-

Locoshed1_500.jpg.3521d83198bb5eb484de8d0b7556faed.jpg

Whilst the coaling facility is copied directly from South Western Pottery, just a wobbly plank perched atop the coal pile, unfortunately not a clue how water was stored, no doubt something rather rudimentary.

20210611_0_700.jpg.33670834c6258b25a10ed6e1e94766ca.jpg 

More to follow as bits pitch up, the Peckett is here and a pair of Hudson tippers from RT Models need to ordered.

spacer.png

RT Models contractors tipper

spacer.png

Purbeck 'might have been' image

Thank you and StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
Nicer images

Guest Jack Benson

By heck, that was quick. An update, because I found this hut from the 'roundtuit' cupboard, it looks OK. Not, unfortunately, a homegrown product and why?

21004_Geraeteschuppen_hellgruen500.jpg.95a8403581e64c52eb4f0f90fc1ff59d.jpg

Now tring to find a suitable dump truck, the Wiking model is rather good but finding one is another story.

65703.jpg.2842b83e2de0268bcaa49cf1debb8a04.jpg

StaySafe

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

By heck, that was quick. An update, because I found this hut from the 'roundtuit' cupboard, it looks OK. Not, unfortunately, a homegrown product and why?

21004_Geraeteschuppen_hellgruen500.jpg.95a8403581e64c52eb4f0f90fc1ff59d.jpg

Now tring to find a suitable dump truck, the Wiking model is rather good but finding one is another story.

65703.jpg.2842b83e2de0268bcaa49cf1debb8a04.jpg

StaySafe

Matchbox used to do quite a nice Muir-Hill one; I believe S-Kits also produce a whitemetal kit.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

In such a small space detail rather than quantity is paramount, a recent field trip together with contempoary images emphasis the unkempt and wild nature of the heathland around Bushey and down to Goatland.

spacer.png

The sidings around Norden was no less overgrown, this early morning view looks towards the standard line passing across the view.

spacer.png

To replicate the poor quality of the heathland soil, the ground cover will need to be very light in both colour and texture, in true Blue Peter fashion, this was a previous attempt.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally, rather than reinvent the wheel, a view blocker comprising of an embankbent carrying a section of abandoned narrow gauge will cross the standard gauge tramway using the bridge at Norden as inspiration combined with most bits of a Peco SS28 bridge.

spacer.png

The concept is neither original nor particularly interesting, it sets out to utilise bits and pieces that were intended something grander however Purbeck has been within cycling distance of wherever I have lived for most of my life in Dorset. Family outings atop the H&D omnibus were like a journey to another country because we crossed the sea and the heathland was and still is another land with no connection to the conurbations just across the water. It doesn't really matter if the 'what-if' transforms a workaday narrow gauge line to a standard gauge tramway, the same principles of make n'do mend apply and the Peckett is the perfect choice.

Thanks for stopping by, StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson
On 11/06/2021 at 14:02, Fat Controller said:

Matchbox used to do quite a nice Muir-Hill one; I believe S-Kits also produce a whitemetal kit.

This tatty model is supposed to be a Muir Hill M-type quarry dump truck, it was first made by Matchbox about sixty years ago but it has the right proportions and it will be a challenge to bring it up to snuff.

spacer.png

This is an M-type from 1939 in use, during the '60s there was one lying abandoned at Norden.

spacer.png

It may well be the only road vehicle on the layout as I don't recall seeing anything except bicycles used by the quarrymen.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

The 'look' of Purbeck off the beaten track

Capturing the unique appearance of Norden is not going to be easy, the sheer variety of the Isle of Purbeck is one of its unending surprises and delights.

Barely five miles as the crow flies from the forbidding rocky headlands of its coast is typical Purbeck heathland, its wild grass and gorse providing a habitat for a wide range of wildlife. 

spacer.png

It is also of interest to industrial archaeologists, having been crossed by Fayle’s Tramway which carried clay from the pits at Norden to Goathorn Pier, an arm of Poole Harbour, where it was loaded into barges.

spacer.png

To capture the dry lanes and vegetation, something different rather than the usual lush green grass.

spacer.png

A test piece with Heki 3mm Winter Grass with a few Cat's Tails for added variety - WSS Scenics offer something albeit slightly greener and much longer.

spacer.png

Finally, sandy tracks and lanes are created with Stangel Acrylmasse which is odd stuff, as it needs imagination to apply successfully but the results are superb. It is intended to be a render but works perfectly for ground surfaces.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

A small packet has arrived from Jörg Schmidt better known as Joswood, Jörg makes remarkable laser cut kits of buildings and a really nice guy.

spacer.png

And this is his rather lovely toolshed, just 50mm x 29mm, nevertheless it is a delight. The buildings on the diorama are mostly wood and/or corrugated iron except for the watertank.

spacer.png

The watertank is intentionally undestated, it is resin kit and will receive some 'titivation' with a piece of acetate to replicate the moquito-infested water.

spacer.png

The diorama is not the usual 'industrial giant' instead more of very quiet backwater with track, even then the railway is being overwhelmed by its surroundings.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

This interesting image has just arrived with no attached info, unfortunately internet searches for ‘Medway’ merely reveal a large yellow and black traction beast. Any ideas? 

The image is inspiration for the wagon repair workshop, another nissen hut conversion.

StaySafe

AF53651C-36E3-4875-9EAC-79FD8397BCBE.jpeg.6a22c7b25f7e828b2f01c3c07e518ead.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

Last evening, a call to warn of the imminent arrival of the baseboards.

And........

In anticipation of tracklaying and mindful of the images of the workshop and locoshed at Whately quarry, the trackplan has been tweaked using Anyrail software to see the actual result. The image below isn't perfect, the entire trackwork will be moved away from the backsene and the long siding will be swung outwards towards the front, this will give some 'breathing' space to the diorama.  

spacer.png

The available space is just 84"x13.5" restricted by the use of two 77ltr christmas tree boxes for secure storage, safe from our rural rodent population.

The curvy nature of the plan isn't prototypical, most of the Purbeck NG sites were laid out by someone with a ruler and no imagination however the Purbeck Clay Tramway is merely plausible fiction and gentle curves are aesthetically pleasing.

For those few still interested, everything is very traditional, Peco code 75 track, their solenoids with double micro-switch bases. Nothing else has changed despite 25years of progress, the control will be an old Gaugemaster W handheld, no DCC-mostly so that I can pick up the cassette without risking another heart attack and no integral lighting, just an Anglepoise (but fitted with an LED filament). 

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Decrepitude

Still no progress, the baseboards seem to have slipped another week.

Anyhew, whilst waiting more progress on making various buildings for the diorama, btw the water tower was an absolute darling to build.

spacer.png

The wagon repair workshop will lose the two corrugated front walls so that the interior is visible. Which leads to a question......Does anyone know a source of oo/ho workshop accessory castings, need a standpipe, workbench etc. eBay offers nothing

Thanks

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Does anyone know a source of oo/ho workshop accessory castings, need a standpipe, workbench etc. eBay offers nothing

Rather than castings, try 3D prints. They're ideal for that sort of thing. 3D Printing Corner, Hardy's Hobbies and suchlike.

• Informative/Useful 1

Brings back happy memories, I visited the line in 1971, just after it closed. Away from the crowds at the castle, I had the whole place to myself.

On 13/06/2021 at 18:27, Jack Benson said:

This tatty model is supposed to be a Muir Hill M-type quarry dump truck, it was first made by Matchbox about sixty years ago but it has the right proportions and it will be a challenge to bring it up to snuff.

spacer.png

This is an M-type from 1939 in use, during the '60s there was one lying abandoned at Norden.

spacer.png

It may well be the only road vehicle on the layout as I don't recall seeing anything except bicycles used by the quarrymen.

StaySafe

Muir Hill made some impressive four wheel drive tractors. Four equal wheels, it was 'rock climbing' to get into the cab. Once there I felt like a 'pea on a drum'. Strange machines, bloody noisey cab and bloody hot on a summers day. Impressive off road performance though, didn't half 'dig in' with a plough on, on a hillside.
I'll get my coat.
Chris.

Edited by Sandhole

12 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

The wagon repair workshop will lose the two corrugated front walls so that the interior is visible. Which leads to a question......Does anyone know a source of oo/ho workshop accessory castings, need a standpipe, workbench etc. eBay offers nothing

Thanks

Langley do a few bits and pieces - lathe  etc.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Does anyone know a source of oo/ho workshop accessory castings, need a standpipe, workbench etc. eBay offers nothing

Scale Model Scenery do a range of industrial workshop bits and bobs, well worth a look.

Mike.

Guest Jack Benson
11 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Muir Hill made some impressive four wheel drive tractors. Four equal wheels, it was 'rock climbing' to get into the cab. Once there I felt like a 'pea on a drum'. Strange machines, bloody noisey cab and bloody hot on a summers day. Impressive off road performance though, didn't half 'dig in' with a plough on, on a hillside.
I'll get my coat.
Chris.

This isn't a very old Muir Hill 4X4 tractor but it looks to be challenging, to say the least.

1918490670_MuirHill500.jpg.490fe0a973b59227c296c1032347dfa2.jpg

An example will certainly NOT be appearing on the diorama

StaySafe

21 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

This is on its way from Severn Models, it'll do and then some.

spacer.png

I've got one of those - but it's such a lovely etch that I've considered framing it rather than build it1

Edited by 5050
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

18 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

This isn't a very old Muir Hill 4X4 tractor but it looks to be challenging, to say the least.

1918490670_MuirHill500.jpg.490fe0a973b59227c296c1032347dfa2.jpg

An example will certainly NOT be appearing on the diorama

StaySafe

See what I meant about climbing into the cab.!
Ear defenders were a MUST!:lol:
Brings back a few memories,
Thanks.
Chris.

On 01/07/2021 at 16:25, Jack Benson said:

Decrepitude

Still no progress, the baseboards seem to have slipped another week.

Anyhew, whilst waiting more progress on making various buildings for the diorama, btw the water tower was an absolute darling to build.

spacer.png

Thanks

Jack

A lovely bit of modelling, thanks for sharing it

Guest Jack Benson

Tin and wooden sheds

Sheds and industrial steam seem to have a symbiotic relationship, not often seen without the other.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These two look nondescript and rather careworn, doubtless they will be overwhelmed by the local flora and invisible after closure of the railway

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

This lovely wagon hoist is a Bachmann RTP

spacer.png

It will be installed at the entrance to the wagon repair shop.

spacer.png

And the GOOD NEWS, the baseboards will be collected this Sunday lunchtime

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson