Purbeck clay tramway

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

These side tipping contractors wagons from RT Models look rather tasty, dumb buffers have been added? They need couplings.

spacer.png

Will Kadee#58s work with standard Kadees and are #58s the ‘smaller’ Kadee?

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson
3 hours ago, 5050 said:

Bachmann Wagon Hoist?  Not seen that before.  Looks to be a usefull item.  Any details you can provide please?

44-0104

32 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

44-0104

Thanks for the  info. I missed it as I looked in the 00 section rather than 00-9.  Is there sufficient clearance for a 4mm standard gauge loco to pass under?

Guest Jack Benson
59 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Thanks for the  info. I missed it as I looked in the 00 section rather than 00-9.  Is there sufficient clearance for a 4mm standard gauge loco to pass under?

No

Guest Jack Benson

The two baseboards are finally complete, they are really small, each is just 42"x13.5" but only very tiny buildings and very short stock are planned.

spacer.png

Also invested in a set of builders adjustable trestles so that the boards can be easily flipped when working underneath.

Thank you

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jack, I’ve been enjoying following this thread and am really looking forward to seeing how you progress. If I got this correctly, you’ll be keeping the two boards at 42” long (to fit in a 77l box) and then joining them for operating? 

If so, one crucial factor that the magazines etc always fail to mention in their builds is how the boards are being attached, how the tracks are being joined, and how the gap is being disguised.

If you are doing this, you won’t be able to go into too much detail as far as I’m concerned! It’s the part of my builds where I always fall down, and the one crucial step that so many people skip as maybe they assume everyone knows how to do it. 

Many thanks and happy modelling!

Andrew

Guest Jack Benson
7 hours ago, Andrew D said:

Hello Jack, I’ve been enjoying following this thread and am really looking forward to seeing how you progress. If I got this correctly, you’ll be keeping the two boards at 42” long (to fit in a 77l box) and then joining them for operating? 

If so, one crucial factor that the magazines etc always fail to mention in their builds is how the boards are being attached, how the tracks are being joined, and how the gap is being disguised.

If you are doing this, you won’t be able to go into too much detail as far as I’m concerned! It’s the part of my builds where I always fall down, and the one crucial step that so many people skip as maybe they assume everyone knows how to do it. 

Many thanks and happy modelling!

Andrew

Hi,

There are other custom baseboards available for these boxes but the orientation of the board in the box reduces the effective width to just 8.5", my boards are handed (L&R) and slide into box on their sides - width 13.5"

I used a pair of very nice brass 25mm pattern makers dowels to align the boards, the boards will be kept together with either 6mm bolts or quik-clamps, a removable foamboard backscene will be held in place with mico-magnets and steel strip. Hopefully after 55 years of modelling, there will be no gap, there are two baseboards in the image below, the gap is not readily apparent.

20180506_No_Kadee.jpg.40f02cbe97ed4af2d1d9551e50ef466a.jpg

There will be scenery using layers of foamboard provides gentle changes but the embankment/view block will be my last pieces of 25mm polybead, the last 'small' layout (see above) was similar size and used the principle of subtle changes of ground profile.

All progress will be uploaded ad nauseam - 

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Loco and tool sheds

The loco and tool sheds, the loco shed is intentionally small and just fits the Hornby Peckett.

There is a lot of detailing and weathering needed, crud and rust seem appropriate. 

spacer.png

The roof was replaced with Wills corrugated iron sheets, much nicer than the original parts. The windows will be replaced with simple four pane affairs.

Thank you