DARNGAVIL COAL PO WAGON COLOUR

Strathyre

Hi Folks

I am trying to model some private owner wagons owned by the Darngavil Coal Company (a Scottish company from the 18th-20th century). I have managed to find some HMRS images but don't know the colour of the wagons. Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1

A few options....

If you can find a builder's official photograph, they often showed the colour scheme on the information plate in the image.

Try using one of those colourising websites on an image to get an idea of what the colours were (a very rough idea, but it's a start)

Have you searched the online Private Owners Wagon Index which Lightmoor used to maintain and which might point you to published material?

Are you an HMRS member,  in which case the PO wagon steward (John Arkell) may be able to help.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Strathyre said:

Spoke to my 98 year old father who lived in Darngavil village, now long since obliterated. He remembers the wagons and worked in the pits in the area. He reckons they were red.

Paul

Looking at those HMRS photos, which are all of new wagons in pre-Great War days, I'd say he is right. Possibly black ironwork - difficult to say as the photographic emulsions of the day had very poor or no red sensitivity, so red can appear black. I think the best evidence for black ironwork is in photo ACQ355 of wagon No. 688, which also shows clear signs of black shading to the lettering, which at least confirms the wagon isn't black. I'm not so sure about the steel-framed wagon No. 573 in photo ACP807; I think I see a difference between the steel solebar and the axleguard, which hints at the body being red all over; there's also the suggestion of black shading to the block lettering, though not to the number on the doors. I see these wagons were registered with the Caledonian. It was not unusual though by no means universal for PO wagons to adopt the base colour of the wagons of the company with which they were registered, especially in Scotland.

If it's imitating the Caley colour, then it's probably red lead paint - the cheapest option and also good for protecting both woodwork and ironwork from water damage. It's my belief that the best paint match one can get for that is Halfords red primer.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At the time I built these Pickering versions I went for a slightly faded red/brown oxide, based on a description in I think the true line, though it was a long time ago. 

The model is a CRA resin body, with Letraset letters.

1417437148_pick1.jpg.cf7646c9f5b65da2050f899aaf819a5d.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Strathyre said:

Just need to get some way of recreating the lettering now!

You could see if you could interest POWSides.

1 hour ago, Dave John said:

The model is a CRA resin body, with Letraset letters.

That looks a very nice body - I don't think there are any kits for cupboard door wagons to be had, south of the border. Does one have to be a member?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They were made in small batches Compound, though some were for general sale on the CRA stand at exhibitions. The place to enquire would be on the True Line Models section of the CRA forums. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1