As River Dyke seems to have stalled but will fully begin again, I am able to develop another potential micro layout set in the Wild West (as you guessed in the title), Coven Gulch (Twinned with Coventry). With a Hornby Toy Story 3 4-4-0 loco and a spare Triang Davy Crockett tender, I was able to make a 4-4-0 tender locomotive suitable for a micro layout such as this. I will provide a photograph of the locomotive soon enough. As for the rolling stock, I will be uisng TS3 rolling stock from said-train set I managed to pick up on E-Bay. I have done some modifcations to the locomotive as I felt it lacked a tender but I easily rectified it. I will be providing a picture of the locomotive, soon.

IMG_20210612_195817_51.jpg

IMG_20210612_195826_21.jpg

IMG_20210612_195916_31.jpg

And here is a picture of the layout plans I have:

1412040018_CovenGulchMicroLayoutPlans.png.df44228cdd2c6fc6f940bf67bae0b877.png

So, what do you guys think? Like with River Dyke, it will be portable and also built on the same lightweight base. Now, as for the buildings and such, I will be finding some card-built ones as well as Western figures. If anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know.

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I believe the Airfix figures may now be manufactured by HaT; the other make to look out for are Revell who also made 'cowboys' at one time.  Have a look for the 'plastic model soldier review' site to get some ideas of figure sizes, poses, etc.

Somebody (Pegasus?) make log cabins in 1:72 however they are eastern European in design, however they could be Americanised.  28mm buildings are around 1:56 in scale so may appear too large compared to 1:72 or smaller figures.  Would h0 scale buildings be a better fit?

Another option would be the following for town/city buildings:

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/north-africa-colonial-20mm

Hope that's of help.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Adding Sarissa link.

Howdy, y'all! Before I start with this update, I just wish to thank friscopete, Alex TM, bazzer42 and ManofKent for your helpful suggestions and reccomendations for what to add to the layout.

Now for the progress:

*The locomotive and tender have had some changes made such as the cylinders painted red; the tender has had some paint touch-ups. It no longer says 'T.R.R. 1865' on both sides as I am making it more generic and inspired by railroads of the Western United States.

IMG_20210616_184128_51.jpg

*The coaches have also been given a lick of grey primer - I brushed it on as it's more forgiving on some areas of detail than spray-painting but they will both become yellow soon; it would have all the hallmarks of Virginia & Truckee/Union Pacific vibe to it.

IMG_20210621_001747_31.jpg

*The layout will also be a portable one and an oval with tiny straights; according the the layout plans, it's gonna be divided into three sections - one side will have a town scene almost like out of Red Dead, one side will have a desert plains scene and one side will be an aera where the controls and wiring are gonna be hidden.

The track and plans will soon be another matter (a financial one no doubt) so keep your eyes peeled for more as it develops.

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...