CPL C30 etch

A while back i purchased a 4mm scale C30 and C18 etch from CPL. The C30 has me a little confused, According to Russell, the C30 was a 56' coach  with numbers 2422-2435. The issue is that they appear to be panelled and the few photos in appendix Volume 1 of 2425 and 2429 show vestiges of the panelling with 2429 having toplights plated over. As you can see from the photo of the etch, this is a flush sided coach. The etch does measure up as 56' and has the window arrangement of a C30.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_E4270.jpg

• RMweb Gold

With the proviso that I know diddly squat about GWR coaches, a perusal of the CPL website shows that C18 and C30 coaches seem to have duplicated product numbers with other coaches, might it be that you have the incorrect version although it's the correct item number?

Mike.

It looks like a C32 to me though it should be 56' 11". Is the diagram number not etched on the edge of the etch? Usually it has small print dia ??? CPL Products. then a the film reference number.

Mike Wiltshire

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt3032.htm

edit

The image is not clear enough to read but diagram number is etched just below the corridor wall. 

Edited by Coach bogie

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

It looks like a C32 to me though it should be 56' 11". Is the diagram number not etched on the edge of the etch? Usually it has small print dia ??? CPL Products. then a the film reference number.

Mike Wiltshire

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt3032.htm

edit

The image is not clear enough to read but diagram number is etched just below the corridor wall. 

The C30 and C32 have the same reference number on the CPL site.

Mike.

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The C30 and C32 have the same reference number on the CPL site.

Mike.

There is a diagram number etched just below the corridor wall. on the etch shown in the image but I cannot read it on screen

Mike Wiltshire

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

There is a diagram number etched just below the corridor wall. on the etch shown in the image but I cannot read it on screen

Mike Wiltshire

As I previously stated, it reads C30 (just below the large bolections)

Edited by Brassey

Dimensionally, it is definitely a C30. I measured it at 56' and funnily enough it is 1 scale foot shorter than the side  of my David Geen C32!  I have only ever seen the photos in Russell and they certainly do not show a C30 in this condition. 

I noticed the numbers on the lists on the CPL site, but this is a 56' coach.

Were any of the C30 used in war service? It stands to reason that they could have been rebuilt to be steel sided  bodies as was done after WW1 with Ambulance stock.

regards,

Puzzled from Australia.

Edited by Craigw

Craig,

It is described as "C30 - Panelled third" on the website with an illustration showing panelling.

The lack of the panelling suggests there could be an error with the etch which is not unheard of.  But on the other hand, in the "gallery" section of the website, there are pictures of toplights devoid of panelling.

Did you buy it recently?

Peter

Edited by Brassey

52 minutes ago, Brassey said:

Craig,

I

Did you buy it recently?

Peter

Peter I purchased it about two years ago. This means that in reality it could be longer. But it was certainly after Paul took over CPL.

I must admit, I find the etches very tempting. I just wish they did more in 4mm scale.

Regards,

Craig

12 hours ago, Brassey said:

As I previously stated, it reads C30 (just below the large bolections)

Understood. I am back home now and have my resources to hand. C30 were all built with panels. As far as I am aware  they did not go for ambulance duty which would have explained the steel body. 

Further evidence - preserved 2434 still has many of the panels.

Something amiss at CPL here.

Mike Wiltshire

7 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Understood. I am back home now and have my resources to hand. C30 were all built with panels. As far as I am aware  they did not go for ambulance duty which would have explained the steel body. 

Further evidence - preserved 2434 still has many of the panels.

Something amiss at CPL here.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike,

That was my nagging feeling when I looked at it. I put it away for a while but the nagging continued hence asking.

The artwork has a 2002 date on it, so I am not sure who would have drawn it (Carl Legg?)

Regards,

Craig W

• 2 weeks later...