CROC - Centre for the Repurposing of Ornamental Cogs. A steampunk diorama

• RMweb Premium

Back in the spring, Bassett-Lowke announced a competition in SteamPaper (the monthly e-newsletter detailing steampunk happenings around the UK and beyond) 

20 applicants would be selected to receive a bundle of items to then construct a steampunk diorama of fixed size 50cm x 50cm by the middle of June. 

I was one of the lucky 20 and started sketching ideas based on the bundle items (loco, length of track, 2 resin buildings and some paints) and the contents of my various crates and boxes and folders. 

I used a spare Ikea Lack side table as an 'instant baseboard' overlayed with 2mm eva foam sheet and with a 5mm foamcore display box surround. 

Scouring the hard drive threw up the Scalescenes factory kit I bought/downloaded back in 2007 for Ripper Street, and I also had some Wuppertal Schwebebahn laser-cut portals from Joswood.de, along with assorted Hornby track and stock always intended for a steampunk micro. 

IMG_20210518_125253.jpg

IMG_20210605_234908.jpg

IMG_20210606_191137.jpg

Edited by CloggyDog
added a link to Steampaper
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The premise behind my diorama is a gentle poke at the 'just glue some cogs on it and call it steampunk' meme - having been active in the steampunk scene for over a decade, I've long 'outgrown' the need to have decorative gears on All The Things :D

So the Centre for the Repurposing of Ornamental Cogs* (CROC) was born. It takes those shiny decorative and Ornamental gears of no discernable purpose and fettles, greases and transforms them into good machine-ready gears, up for any type of engineering challenge. 

* and yes, I know it should be gears not cogs, that's another subtle dig ;)

Track was laid, warehouse and danglebahn track built, cobbles (a texture from the net, printed at home) laid down and it all started to come together. 

IMG_20210608_082050.jpg

IMG_20210608_082104.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

For the danglewagen, I wanted to repurpose some old Hornby 4-wheel coach bodies, adding the danglebits and a rear-mounted boiler/cylinder from Lego, mounted on a new frame of 4mm Evergreen I beam. 

A new window cut in the end allows the driver to see where he's going. 

IMG_20210611_133038.jpg

IMG_20210611_142116.jpg

IMG_20210612_234040.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

And it's pretty much there. A couple of open wagons loaded with gears (both ornamental inbounds and functional outbound), plus the odd pile of them scattered around the place and a little scenic tittivation with grass clumps and the like. 

I'll hopefully find out later this week how I did and get to see some of the other entries via Basset-Lowke's various social media feeds. 

IMG_20210613_001952.jpg

IMG_20210613_003857.jpg

IMG_20210612_234502.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2021 at 08:44, steve1 said:

How did you get on? 

steve

I didn't win, but had fun designing and building CROC and the cost was pretty negligible (using up stuff I already had to hand, including bits already pre-allocated to a steampunk build). 

The other entries (9 in total from the look of things, including mine) can be found on Bassett-Lowke's various social media feeds (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and are all to a very good standard, with some fun ideas and clever use of the supplied items. 

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 4