Container for stripping paint

• RMweb Gold

I have used  some "lock and lock" brand containers which are slightly shorter than your requirements, ( about 295x50x75mm) but bigger ones may be available. Even if the length is the same the diagonal might give what you need.

Hth

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Have to agree with Dave, I've used the same ones, they easily fit a OO gauge Mk1 coach, the one I use I think is meant for meat (bacon) as it has a removable raised grill that sits in the bottom, so all the paint sits on the bottom below the grill,

Cheers

Andy

Thanks all.

Lock n Lock do a 375mm box but it appears only to be available in the Far East.

Since I made this post I have found one via Ryman office supplies but it's not airtight. I reckon I can make it airtight by applying some silicone sealant to act as a gasket.

I'm stripping Swiss 85' stock so the Lock n Lock bacon box just isn't long enough.

Edited by Swissrail

• RMweb Gold

Was this the one you found?  L&L catalogue HPL846 [3.4L] RECTANGULAR SIZE. 330×131×118mm

Listed, but  out of stock, by amazon uk, but might be available somewhere. Worth contacting l&l? 

Dave

7 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sealable container that can be used as a stripping bath for rolling stock. My only stipulation being that it would need to be at least 305mm long

Glass spaghetti storage jar, for example: Glass Spaghetti Pasta Food Preserving Storage Jar - 2050ml Clip Top Kitchen 5055512084944 | eBay

On the subject of stripping paint, does anyone know if what's in Superstrip can be obtained from other sources at less than the exorbitant price Precision charges for it? I have a fifteen year old bottle of the original formula and on the label it says:

"Contains butoxyethanol, dimethylcarbonate and isopropylalcohol".

I don't really believe Precision have this stuff mixed to order, so they must get it from somewhere...so what is it they ask for that has the above chemical composition which they then bottle, call "Superstrip" and sell at £79 a litre?!

Edited by Swissrail

Thanks for all the ideas people! In the end I built a box out of plasticard that is just the right height, width and depth to house an SBB 85' saloon which at the same time doesn't swallow a ton of (very expensive) Precision Superstrip, although I am going to make my own from now on at a fraction of the cost.

Edited by Swissrail