Matt varnish/lacquer?

I have need of a varnish or laquer with which to put a matt protective coating over models painted with acrylics.  Brush or rattlecan application will work for me, and it's a proper matt I need - not semi-matt, satin or almost-matt.

Any suggestions please folks?

The two brushed flat/matt varnishes I use, namely Vallejo and Testers do not produce an absolutely dead flat finish.  More of a slight satin finish.  It is essential to shake or mix these before application.

• Thanks 1

I often use this stuff, dries very Matt, if you google it you will find a lot of military modellers use it.

I don't like using the airbrush much because of the hassle of cleaning it afterwards, but if you dilute this first it sprays easily and you can just run water through to clean after using it.

Screenshot_20210614-143854_Samsung Internet.jpg

*please ignore the photo as its wrong - I should have linked to a photo of their Matt varnish - see posts below

Edited by 101
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

The two brushed flat/matt varnishes I use, namely Vallejo and Testers do not produce an absolutely dead flat finish.  More of a slight satin finish.  It is essential to shake or mix these before application.

Hi

Vallejo will produce a perfect Matt finish if sprayed with an airbrush. I found the Testors Dull Coat even when sprayed from one of their aerosol cans went slightly satin.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

Another vote for W&N Galeria, I don't even think you need to airbrush it. It is very "runny" but applied with a soft flat brush I've never had a problem with brush marks just make sure you get a thin coat so no pooling. Might need two coats but dries perfectly clear with no colour distortion and I have models that must be ten years old and no hint of yellowing. Maybe the very slightest hint of satin like an unglazed porcelain?

Careful though, the product illustrated by the esteemed Mr 101 is a Matt Medium for adding to pigment, you need the Matt Varnish in the same yellow themed packaging. They also do a slightly more expensive "Professional" product which I have not tried but promises to be better...

image.png.1c9ea79ec565b16c3c1c2b89c341ec44.png

hi there, AK Ultra-matte varnish (AK183) is the mattest one I ever used. It is acryl-based and is too matt for weathered scale models. It appears more like a mineral surface. The right material if you want it VERY matt. :rolleyes:

Michael

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2021 at 18:31, westernviscount said:

I have had some perfectly flat results with humbrol acrylic matt varnish spray. I have also used gamesworkshop purity seal with good matt results but this must be sprayed in perfect conditions. 

I see that you mention the acrylic version, my local model shop only has the enamel version - has anyone got a good word to say for the emanel 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I see that you mention the acrylic version, my local model shop only has the enamel version - has anyone got a good word to say for the emanel 

From my experience....no! I have had terrible results. Mainly powdery/frosty finish and clogging despite the inverted spray technique. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

No!  It usually dries nearer gloss than matt and is almost guaranteed to crinkle transfers of all types.

On 17/06/2021 at 14:42, Rumblestripe said:

Careful though, the product illustrated by the esteemed Mr 101 is a Matt Medium for adding to pigment, you need the Matt Varnish in the same yellow themed packaging. They also do a slightly more expensive "Professional" product which I have not tried but promises to be better...

image.png.1c9ea79ec565b16c3c1c2b89c341ec44.png

Just noticed this, many apologies as Rumblestripe has correctly pointed out, I linked to the wrong thing.

20210721_210423_copy_1024x1365.jpg.305f3f184eaa6d67d914287865e80cfb.jpg

this is what I actually use - don't know why I didn't just take a photo in the first place!

Edited by 101

3 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Please don’t use Humbrol Clear. Appalling product and certainly not like the old Johnston Kleer.

I have used the gloss a lot, not just for railways, and find it fine. However, don't touch the matt and satin with a bargepole....

On 21/07/2021 at 23:21, Ben Alder said:

I have used the gloss a lot, not just for railways, and find it fine. However, don't touch the matt and satin with a bargepole....

Likewise I've used the gloss quite a bit and had no problems,what issues did you have with the others?.

Rob