Bachmann announce Class 69 in OO and N.

AY Mod

Just now, Roddy Angus said:

Can we expect this within 3 months or have Bachmann abandoned their policy of only announcing products when they are ready to be delivered?

Regards

Roddy

Nice one.

The 3 monthly announcements are specific; running numbers liveries etc.

Making a good model takes a few years to design, prototype & correct.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Nice one.

The 3 monthly announcements are specific; running numbers liveries etc.

Making a good model takes a few years to design, prototype & correct.

They have been working on this for a while, they didnt just decide on the spur of the moment to do it today. Takes time to produce models, covid would have had no bearing on it

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

They have been working on this for a while, they didnt just decide on the spur of the moment to do it today. Takes time to produce models, covid would have had no bearing on it

They can only be right at the start of the process as the real thing has only recently been completed- got to be 18months- 2 years away (I know optimistic)!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

An interesting announcement and didn’t see that coming from Bachmann. I quite like the look of 69001 having seen a photo earlier today so will probably end up with one. Will also be interesting to see what other liveries appear on the class. 

cheers

Mark

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Can we expect this within 3 months or have Bachmann abandoned their policy of only announcing products when they are ready to be delivered?

Regards

Roddy

From Bachmann.

Due to the unique nature of this project and the agreements required to bring these models to market, this project is being announced outside of our usual three-month British Railway Announcements programme. Other products, both new tooling projects and new numbers, liveries etc. on existing tooling, will continue to be announced in the quarterly British Railway Announcements once they are within three months of release as has been the case with our product announcements since the start of 2020

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Due to the unique nature of this project and the agreements required to bring these models to market, this project is being announced outside of our usual three-month British Railway

Thanks Andy, I thought 3 months would be a bit optomistic.

Regards

Roddy

Now a chicken and egg scenario comes to mind.

Is there a class 56 in development in both 00 & N that this is a natural development from or a one off?

Might we see a Bachmann & Farish 56 by the end of 2021with a 69 to follow in 2022.

All supposition of course, so it is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few months but things are looking interesting.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

A Frankenstein of an egg.... ok you have a reasonably common chassis but there are hell of a number of differences in the body. Not so much body snatcher more body gobbler.  Having said that.... it would be lovely to have a proper Romanian Grid on the shelves again.

Griff

• Agree 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Walkes07 said:

Take ten years to come out though lol

Oh haha. Not in the mood for worn-out tropes taking up screen space.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Excellent news - will definitely be looking forward to the N gauge versions of these, especially as the most recent Farish models (31, 40) have really well thought out chassis, lighting and sound functions.  More than happy to wait as long as it takes for these.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

A Frankenstein of an egg.... ok you have a reasonably common chassis but there are hell of a number of differences in the body. Not so much body snatcher more body gobbler.  Having said that.... it would be lovely to have a proper Romanian Grid on the shelves again.

Griff

Or another thought - a Next18 sound class 66 - seeing as they both sound the same!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Now a chicken and egg scenario comes to mind.

Is there a class 56 in development in both 00 & N that this is a natural development from or a one off?

Might we see a Bachmann & Farish 56 by the end of 2021with a 69 to follow in 2022.

All supposition of course, so it is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few months but things are looking interesting.

I would think that the 69 will come out first!

Moreover because of the exclusive nature of the deal there can no competition so no worries about making a decent return on it.

The 56 is far more of a Gamble - we know from past experience that Hornby tend to react aggressivity to competitors and producing a 56 in 00 is going to be pretty risky as its entirely possible Hornby can rush out a batch of spoilers before a Bachmann model hits the shelves.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

I would think that the 69 will come out first!

Moreover because of the exclusive nature of the deal there can no competition so no worries about making a decent return on it.

The 56 is far more of a Gamble - we know from past experience that Hornby tend to react aggressivity to competitors and producing a 56 in 00 is going to be pretty risky as its entirely possible Hornby can rush out a batch of spoilers before a Bachmann model hits the shelves.

Not if they were already in development and come out as part of the three month announcements.  But I'm not saying there is one and it more likely to be just the class 69 that no-one else can now touch.

• RMweb Gold

Though I take my hat off to Bachmann to work with GBRf and Progress Rail to produce this loco in both OO and N gauges, but I think a Class 56 is a very long way off.  As pointed out, Hornby have a habit of new runs, or “new tooling” of loco’s that are already in their catalogue, suddenly appearing after another manufacturer decides to make their own version.

I’m not sure if I’d order one but I’m certainly tempted.