Bachmann announce Class 69 in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Cant understand why people expect a 56 to follow.  Despite the real world link, in model form these are very diffrrent beasts, cabs, roof, underframe tanks and body sides all very different. Only the bogie sides are common and the internals.

Because if you’ve tooled the chassis then that goes a long way to allowing you to split the tooling costs across 2 models. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Great news, especially that they are doing it in both scales rather than just 00. Hopefully they will design it so a 56 can follow on later. 

Tom.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Cant understand why people expect a 56 to follow.  Despite the real world link, in model form these are very diffrrent beasts, cabs, roof, underframe tanks and body sides all very different. Only the bogie sides are common and the internals.

Optimism from those not interested in something that is from 2021 onwards.

I am pleased with this announcement, it will be interesting to see how it progresses and what the default livery for these will be. I will be following with a view to having one at some point.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

A nice surprisre that Hornby aren't doing it. They'd get the shade of blue wrong........

I'm wondering if this announcement might have been moved up because someone else was sniffing around the license only to discover Bachmann had beaten them to an exclusive deal...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, newbryford said:

A nice surprise that Hornby aren't doing it. They'd get the shade of blue wrong........

Hornby do look to have gotten that right now. I think it was the samples of "Pride of GBRF" that looked to be the right colour. So they might sell me a 60095 if that is the same.

Hopefully Bachmann have noted that the class 69s contain donor locos with both cast and fabricated cabs. 69001 is cast, 002 fabricated.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm hoping it may lead to a decent 56 in N, because what we have at the moment is overwidth, an odd shape and a mix of details of different variants. I'd have a few of those!

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, frobisher said:

I'm wondering if this announcement might have been moved up because someone else was sniffing around the license only to discover Bachmann had beaten them to an exclusive deal...

I'd have thought that it was much more likely to have been planned to coincide with the unveiling of 69001 in full livery by GBRf today. Bachmann were very slick at getting the word out (or embargoed until) just after the GBRf reveal of the real thing. Impressive stuff by the communications team. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, red death said:

Because if you’ve tooled the chassis then that goes a long way to allowing you to split the tooling costs across 2 models. 

Not So!

The biggest cost in model railways is the hours of design work to capture the accrete external appearance down to the last rivet plus subsequent Assembly and decoration of said external surfaces.

The chassis block is in fact the easiest (and cheapest) bit of the loco to produce. Think about it - in terms of the chassis or mechanics there is not a massive amount of difference between a 37 or a 69 apart form the dimensions - a designer can simply tweak the length of drive shafts, shorten / extended the body casting, etc with relatively little effort. By contrast  you cannot 'tweak' a class 37 bogie sideframe to look like a 69 one - it has to be a brand new design.

As such being able to 'reuse a Chassis block' is probably only going to save you around 10% of the cost of developing a new model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Walkes07 said:

Obviously u don’t know how to have laugh Andy lol

* sarcasm mode on *

Nope, you have to choose the correct brand to joke about here. You can joke about delays and wrong fonts when it comes to Dapol and similarly you can joke about colour choices and duplication with Hornby. But just don't joke about Bachmann. Otherwise you will get pulled up for wasting one line of space on a forum.

* sarcasm mode off *

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

But just don't joke about Bachmann.

I don't think much of your dig at all - you fail to understand my point of view about exaggerated delay jokes just not being funny. They're predictable, boring and a waste of space. You've just made yourself look daft.

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 8

2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Not So!

The biggest cost in model railways is the hours of design work to capture the accrete external appearance down to the last rivet plus subsequent Assembly and decoration of said external surfaces.

The chassis block is in fact the easiest (and cheapest) bit of the loco to produce. Think about it - in terms of the chassis or mechanics there is not a massive amount of difference between a 37 or a 69 apart form the dimensions - a designer can simply tweak the length of drive shafts, shorten / extended the body casting, etc with relatively little effort. By contrast  you cannot 'tweak' a class 37 bogie sideframe to look like a 69 one - it has to be a brand new design.

As such being able to 'reuse a Chassis block' is probably only going to save you around 10% of the cost of developing a new model.

You obviously are unaware of who Mr R Death is........

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Funny 3

6 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

You obviously are unaware of who Mr R Death is........

Either that or they are one of the growing number of people who think their opinion is equally as valid as an expert because all opinions are equal... 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, richscylla said:

Either that or they are one of the growing number of people who think their opinion is equally as valid as an expert because all opinions are equal... 

All opinions are equal, except some are more equal than others judging by how much you type and not what you say.....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Not So!

Thanks for the reply but I’m well aware of the costs of design vs tooling vs assembly. 

More to the point I didn’t say that tooling a chassis was the most expensive part (though tooling still represents a very significant cost) but that the cost of tooling a chassis that could be used across two locos was beneficial as the cost could be shared. 

I’m not sure why you are comparing a 37 to the 69 as that is irrelevant - the key point is that the chassis for a 56 and 69 is identical because of the origin of the 69! You can use exactly the same chassis. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I don't think much of your dig at all - you fail to understand my point of view about exaggerated delay jokes just not being funny. They're predictable, boring and a waste of space. You've just made yourself look daft.

Ahha so you don't like sarcasm and jokes. Duly noted. I shall move it over to the Dapol and Hornby threads where old, monotonous, exaggerated and delayed jokes are still acceptable as they don't seem to be boring or a waste of space in certain sub-forums of rmweb.

Ciao!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1