Planet Industrials Ruston 165 Builds

Well, here we are again, over 2 weeks later - and I haven't been totally idle despite melting to a grease blob some days!  When it's like that I can't do any modelling, just sitting in a dark room with the curtains pulled and a fan at full blast.:wacko:

I have managed to get on with the painting on the (occasional) cooler days. A full coat of Grey primer (which is actually a few shades lighter than the photos show) and a coat of white followed by Yellow on the buffer beams.  This was followed by some masking with Tamiya tape for the Black stripes as I've done before.  However, when I had to adjust a couple of tape sections - the paint underneath peeled back to bare metal!!  I was not happy (to say the least!).  I scraped the beams back to bare metal and gave them a coat of Precision etch primer (squirted some into a container and brushed it on).  Same thing then happened on the cab sides, back and front!  Scraped back to bare metal and a coat of brushed etch primer.  I should have done all the brass parts like this in the beginning!  One result of all this was that I decided against yellow/black striped buffer beams and went for plain Red instead which also meant I should paint the rods the same colour.

Here are the Front and Back beams prior to the Disaster Darling.

978628841_Ruston165FrontBeamPainted.A.jpg.c79555b77aedc36c9a347f2f511754b9.jpg

1471183931_Ruston165RearBeamPainted.A.jpg.991184d25de7ec94e0acf11ef645cec1.jpg

Having got over this setback I have fitted out the cab with glazing, controls, brake standard and a rather portly driver courtesy of Dart Castings.  (Photo to follow)

A  coat of 'Corporate Diesel Blue' with black footplate and red rods etc., a coat of Dullcote, some weathering, rusting etc. and this is how it looks now.  Still a few small details (eg sand pipes, coupling links, builder's plates) to add and I'll call it a day.

47757615_Ruston165almostcomplete.A.jpg.8f4a4463b4f766f80597ddb6f86e2732.jpg

Thankfully it still runs like a sewing machine which goes someway to alleviating some of the grief I have experienced over the past few weeks!

Edited by 5050
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I think I'm there now with this.  Fitted the builder's plates, sand pipes and wiper blades (which I thought I'd lost until I discovered them this morning hiding in a bag of frame spacers!).  I need to make a batch of coupling links for this and several other locos which need them prior to 'entering service' - whenever that may turn out to be!

Rear view of cab with blades and cabside Ruston plates.  These are included in the kit - but etched in brass.  As the real ones are aluminium I tinned them (on the etch) with a drop of acid flux and an almost dry iron before filling with paint which was rubbed off the high spots (ie the lettering) when dry.  The roof is not fully attached in this shot hence the slight gap.

1667940668_Ruston165CabRearView.A.jpg.9f95c8d13535268562e1bb88fd90e3c7.jpg

And the cab interior as promised.  Not very visible when roof in place but at least there's something in there!

513452726_Ruston165CabInteriorcomplete.A.jpg.16b076d499c82522f7a32b39a6f85728.jpg

According to a drawing I've got the brake standard slopes forward slightly.  I used one I had in my stash of 'useful bits'.  I've now noticed that I need to add a spot of dull Black to the top of the exhaust pipe.

Now to decide the next project.  Could be finishing the High Level Pannier chassis that I started early last year.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

We do nickel silver plates for these Rustons if you had asked....

Yes Mike, I am aware - and someone was going to get me a set next time he visited.  However, I thought I'd see if the tinning idea actually worked and it did so used the plates.  By the time they get a film of weathering I doubt if the material they're made from will be apparent anyway!

BTW, I used the Humbrol 'Clear Fix' to attach them as it's a bit more controllable than glue and can be applied carefully with a small brush.  I also used it to secure the wiper blades.

Edited by 5050
Proper name of Clear Fix

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2021 at 11:22, 5050 said:

Are there any more builds out there besides Ruston's and mine?  PI sold out their first run so they must be somewhere!

Tumbleweed............................................

• 2 weeks later...

I have to comment upon your build - it just looks superbly industrial! Having read both your account and @Ruston about building this kit, I think I shall leave it to the experts - definitely well outside my own skill set!

I also have to comment upon the wheel flanges ... P4 ... wow! On an earlier photo, I had to look twice to even see them. 

Steve S

• Thanks 1

On 22/08/2021 at 09:57, SteveyDee68 said:

experts -

ex = hasbeen

spurt = drip

I am sure you would be able to build this to a satisfactory standard.  Remember it uses the Hornby Peckett chassis so it's only a simple body to clean up, detail and paint.

• Thanks 1