Going for the Record?

Avanti are going to try and break the WCML London to Glasgow record held since December 1984, when a prototype Advanced Passenger Train (APT) completed the journey in 3 hours 52 minutes.  On Thursday 17th and with a potential repeat run the following week, 1Z57 class 390 Pendo set is timetabled for a 3hr 51 minute non-stop run.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:S00619/2021-06-17/detailed

if my experiences of northbound WCML expresses are anything to go by, chances are that it will get stuck behind a local somewhere between Carstairs and Central!

Jim 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Are they feeling left out of this cracking business and trying to find a way of getting some too? :D

Love a good record attempt - but they're not planning on beating it by much by the looks of things.

• RMweb Gold

Working from the normal trains that schedule just looks like the normal one with all pathing and engineering allowances stripped out along with station dwell, acceleration and deceleration allowances. They would add up to about 50 minutes on some services.

• RMweb Gold

If anyone wants to watch it's progress more or less realtime there are several signal maps available.

Here's one which shows routing information - you can click the link to the next map as it progresses.

https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/lec1#T_EUSTON

PS - the train is currently in platform 16 (as of 09:45 on 17/06/21)

Edited by beast66606
strange CApitALs and platform
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, APOLLO said:

Easy - It's all downhill from Glasgow to London (look at a globe). They should try it going north --- (Unless the world is indeed flat !!!!!)

Brit15

They are ....  (that's why it starts from Euston :P)

Just now, beast66606 said:

They are ....  (that's why it starts from Euston :P)

arrrrgh - Got it the wrong way round !!

Should pass our house at Boars Head at 12.20

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:S00619/2021-06-17/detailed

I might take a look, she'll be going a fair clip up Boars Head bank (1 in 105).

Good luck to Avanti for the record attempt.

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2021 at 09:44, TheSignalEngineer said:

Working from the normal trains that schedule just looks like the normal one with all pathing and engineering allowances stripped out along with station dwell, acceleration and deceleration allowances. They would add up to about 50 minutes on some services.

There's a Euston - Glasgow service train 1S52 which leaves Euston 20 mins before it, assuming all goes to time the record attempt will overtake this between Crewe and Winsford - ie 1S52 is booked slow line out of Crewe, that would make a nice photo/video of 2 Pendos side by side travelling at high speed in the same direction, I wish I had a Star Trek transporter to take me (and 2 disposable security guards) to Coppenhall Junction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1D85 (a Voyager) has been sent slow line from Ledburn Junction to give 1Z57 a clear run on the fast - they've planned well for this run with "slower" trains being moved out of the way as it races North - it still has to get passed The Crucible of course (Warrington* PSB) :)

* Other PSBs are available.

• Funny 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

390044 allox

Now you've seen it on the Watford camera is there any special graphics on it to differentiate it (or XR3 go-faster stripes)?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

Now you've seen it on the Watford camera is there any special graphics on it to differentiate it (or XR3 go-faster stripes)?

It's full Avanti livery, nothing special unfortunately - not even a headboard :(

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, beast66606 said:

It's full Avanti livery, nothing special unfortunately - not even a headboard :(

Cheers for that; if there'd been anything unusual I'd have nipped down to TV.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

1D85 (a Voyager) has been sent slow line from Ledburn Junction to give 1Z57 a clear run on the fast - they've planned well for this run with "slower" trains being moved out of the way as it races North - it still has to get passed The Crucible of course (Warrington* PSB) :)

* Other PSBs are available.

Looks like it may be very hot on the heels of 1H18 by Colwich. https://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/G81644/2021-06-17

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Cheers for that; if there'd been anything unusual I'd have nipped down to TV.

Remember it was passing quite fast, so I may have missed something

20210617_104823.jpg.8a2735589eea059ba7f2bb0428abf8bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It was 1 minute early because it left 1 minute early, currently only half a minute up so it's losing time rather than gaining it.

Should have put some GBRF go faster stripes on it to help it go quicker.

Edit, it got 30 seconds back at Milton Keynes, back to 1 minute early.

Edited by woodenhead