Going for the Record?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, beast66606 said:

For those who haven't twigged - the 10:35 off Euston is the old Royal Scot path (1S57)

xx35 ex Euston seems to have been a Glasgow path forever. I think I used to catch the 17.35 on Mondays to go to BRIS meetings in Glasgow next morning. The time I paid to travel on an APT I'm sure it was 16.35-ish from Euston. Fast to Preston and flawless. Exciting. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

For those who haven't twigged - the 10:35 off Euston is the old Royal Scot path (1S57)

... and 390044 has been renamed Royal Scot this morning at Euston before setting off.

Tim Dunn is aboard and showed a live feed of the naming on his Twitter feed ... a screenshot below (hope that’s ok to publish!)

FD423A8E-6CFF-4245-9978-9B17BCD9F6FB.jpeg.f9223cae9558c1cf6690fd687489c6ad.jpeg

An impressive factor is that I understand the unit is keeping to the Sectional Appendix line speed profile, therefore no dispensations for any speeding! Some works were carried out last night to remove at least one temporary speed restriction along the route ... 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

Where is the train expected to make up the time required to get the record, there must be a plan and once it gets north of Warrington the route becomes rather more constrained albeit quieter

Edit: I see now, they've updated the schedule since Tuesday, an on time arrival is the new record.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dagworth said:

Am I the only one hoping that it doesn’t make it and APT continues to be the record holder? 

Andi

Nice idea, Andi, but surely our railways need some good news stories for Joe Public right now? Getting people train-travelling again is important, I think.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

On 15/06/2021 at 13:19, luckymucklebackit said:

if my experiences of northbound WCML expresses are anything to go by, chances are that it will get stuck behind a local somewhere between Carstairs and Central!

Isn't that what happened to the Tornado in "Race To The North"?

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It was 1 minute early because it left 1 minute early, currently only half a minute up so it's losing time rather than gaining it.

Should have put some GBRF go faster stripes on it to help it go quicker.

Edit, it got 30 seconds back at Milton Keynes, back to 1 minute early.

It may not be a full minute out as RTT only shows half-minute increments so it could have left Euston at 10:35:14 (shown as 10:35) and lost two seconds by Bletchley to knock it back to 1/2 minute early on there (but of course it could be 58secs down and show the same outcome). I guess there's an official stopwatch holder on board.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Looks like it may be very hot on the heels of 1H18 by Colwich. https://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/G81644/2021-06-17

1H18 isn't hanging about; they obviously don't want to get the blame. It'll out of the way before 390044 gets to Rugeley.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

It's full Avanti livery, nothing special unfortunately - not even a headboard :(

It seems that there's a small Royal Scot vinyl on the nose.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

1H18 isn't hanging about; they obviously don't want to get the blame. It'll out of the way before 390044 gets to Rugeley.

I'd be sure that everyone involved is trying to avoid 'dropping the ball' today Andy.

Be good to see a new record set.  Good luck to them for the rest of the journey. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Cheers for that; if there'd been anything unusual I'd have nipped down to TV.

I had something urgent land on the desk; a sausage, cheese and tomato oatcake. (I'm just recreating the YT comment column vibe).

Just heard it go through TV as I finished.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How does one find it here?

https://www.opentraintimes.com/

Sorry, OTT

https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/sta#LINK_3

Currently between Rugeley and Stafford click on the box at the right hand end to take you to the next section. You are looking for 180Q.

• Thanks 1