Hornby R3781 K&ESR Terrier 0-6-0T 'Rolvenden' - removing markings?

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I've had a look around the forum but couldn't find an answer to the above.  Has anyone tried this?  If you have, what did you find as the most effective solvent to use?

I'm looking to remove the markings from mine to use it as owned by a fictitious railway.  I am hoping to do as little damage as possible to the main livery.  I've removed markings from other locos in the past, for renumbering purposes, using t-cut, thinners, etc, but thought I would ask before experimenting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Adding in tags.

• RMweb Premium

The only method I have used with success is T-cut on multiple cotton buds, on a Bachmann class 03. It took me ages, but eventually the white lettering was gone and the BR blue paint remained. The blue paint became rather polished and shiny and would have looked better with light coat of a matt varnish.

What I don't know, is whether Hornby lettering will respond the same way. But if you try T-cut and nothing happens, at least you have tried.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/06/2021 at 15:15, Alex TM said:

Hi everyone,

I've had a look around the forum but couldn't find an answer to the above.  Has anyone tried this?  If you have, what did you find as the most effective solvent to use?

I'm looking to remove the markings from mine to use it as owned by a fictitious railway.  I am hoping to do as little damage as possible to the main livery.  I've removed markings from other locos in the past, for renumbering purposes, using t-cut, thinners, etc, but thought I would ask before experimenting.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex, just seen your post.

I have for some time wanted to change the identity of a BR black liveried S15 4-6-0 but kept putting it off because of previous, not very satisfying results whilst removing Hornby printed numerals. The old fingers, being not as nimble as they used to be doesn't help much either. However, trawling through loads of RMWebbers’ suggestions, I finally settled on the advice of Graham Muspratt (Grahammuz) who also happened to have a S15 to renumber; thank you Graham.

Careful masking around the cabside number as close as you can get will avoid thinners running onto the power classification and water treatment triangle. I dipped a Tamiya round, extra small swab into the HMG enamel thinners (which had been lying around for a few years - I normally use acrylics) and gently dabbed all the numerals. This was followed with very light strokes with the swab and immediately the numerals began to break up - no hard rubbing at all.

I’ve attached photos of the items I used and the results. Hope they’re of some help.

B7BB3131-026D-4973-93FF-92871CAC7B4E.jpeg.e03c3e6544146136c0b1f2cf43fa3aeb.jpeg

BF12E6A7-95EB-46B4-8979-CA617EDE4A72.jpeg.c552e2643925f3b30716bee3300b92de.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi @Right Away,

Many thanks for that.  Looking around there seems to be something of a consensus around using thinners.  Hopefully, I'll get around to it in the next few weeks.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/06/2021 at 15:15, Alex TM said:

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex, just seen your post.

I have for some time wanted to change the identity of a BR black liveried S15 4-6-0 but kept putting it off because of previous, not very satisfying results whilst removing Hornby printed numerals. The old fingers, being not as nimble as they used to be doesn't help much either. However, trawling through loads of RMWebbers’ suggestions, I finally settled on the advice of Graham Muspratt (Grahammuz) who also happened to have a S15 to renumber; thank you Graham.

Careful masking around the cabside number as close as you can get will avoid thinners running onto the power classification and water treatment triangle. I dipped a Tamiya round, extra small swab into the HMG enamel thinners (which had been lying around for a few years - I normally use acrylics) and gently dabbed all the numerals. This was followed with very light strokes with the swab and immediately the numerals began to break up - no hard rubbing at all.

I’ve attached a photo of the items I used and the result. 

B7BB3131-026D-4973-93FF-92871CAC7B4E.jpeg.e03c3e6544146136c0b1f2cf43fa3aeb.jpeg

19 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi @Right Away,

Many thanks for that.  Looking around there seems to be something of a consensus around using thinners.  Hopefully, I'll get around to it in the next few weeks.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi, just a follow up with a bit more info.

Currently in the process of renumbering another Hornby engine, this time in Brunswick Green livery. Using the same materials and techniques as I did on the black S15, but taking a while longer, I found that rather than the existing numerals just breaking up as before, they were eventually worn away by the very gentle rubbing. A shiny patch is left (as expected) but has not taken off any of the green paint. This will give an ideal surface on which the new transfers can adhere, before giving the cab side a gentle wafting with a satin varnish.

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My process as mentioned above can be read here https://southern-railway.com/2015/12/07/workbench-witterings-3-a-change-of-s15-identity-to-the-maunsell-locomotive-societys-30847/?amp

No t-cut just good quality enamel thinners and a cotton bud, I use Precision Paints PQ8 general purpose thinners. 
Works for me every time regardless of model brand. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for the recommendation in respect of the thinners.  I should be able to pick some up from my local model shop this week.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1