MMP 1/109 16t mineral wagon

T30RRA

9 hours ago, brossard said:

I had a go at that kit.  The underframe totally defeated me when I got to the working springs (they didn't).  I finished the model using a Peco underframe.  Hope you have better luck.

John

John,

You seem to have to post this remark every time there is an online build of an MMP kit, as if it automatically applies to every other builder. Obviously other people can build our underframes as witnessed by this link -

http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=530

And this is of a far more complex underframe than that of an unfitted mineral. Obviously the eight shoe fitted minerals are a little different as you have all the complexities of that tank wagon compressed into a 9' wheelbase. If it was the leaf springs that defeated you, then there are also several online examples of builds where they have been installed and look well.

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power

www.djparkins.com

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hello David,  hope this finds you well?

Is there still the option to build it with non-working springs?

I seem to remember that when the springs were first introduced they were an option.

5 hours ago, JeffP said:

I seem to remember that when the springs were first introduced they were an option.

Thanks Jeff - I'm well but overworked - and about to be more so!

Not so - the mineral kits were introduced with individual leaf spings. It really depends on what you mean by working leaf springs, as nowhere on our web site is there reference to working leaf springs - rather individual leaf springs. If cleaned up, de-cusped and formed correctly they look so much better than cast ones and it is interesting to see that at least one other producer of etched wagon kits has followed suit. Obviously they cannot be working leaf springs in the truest sense of the word, since you cannot scale mass. But they do enable free movement of the horn block within the W iron, thus keeping all the wells on the track.

Regards

David

Edited by djparkins
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, JeffP said:

Jeff

Why would you want to bulld an excellent kit without the springs? 

Here's me trying to get David to produce your favourite catfish and dogfish wagons with the springs and you are trying to get them removed from his other kits...

When the catfish dogfish and tank wagons came out there was no option just the cast springs. David added this option for a short while later. 

Unfortunately these are no longer available for the old kits I wish they still were.

To make the etched spring units up only took an extra hour or two and made such an improvement over a casting. 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, brossard said:

Deleted

On the note of the Springs not working I had David etch me 32 of these little beauties specially in nickel silver about 10-12 years ago. They very rarely see the light of day online but I'm more than happy with how they work. If you dont follow the instructions to the T they dont work and you will struggle to build the kits to. One day I will get round to completing them but that's down to me not a fault with the kit or how it's been designed.... 

20200319_063404.jpg

20200319_063425.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 9

markjj, I don't want to build them non-working, (sorry, separate),  it was a suggestion for T30RRA if he found them too difficult.

Sorry for sidetracking.

1 hour ago, T30RRA said:

And great they look too but let's keep this relevant to my topic please.

Agreed - but I think all the posts have been towards that end, and not at all off-topic - i.e. to encourage you and to show that it can be done without any problems. I wish you well in the build and look forward to seeing how it all progresses. Any advice you need - just ask here or PM me.

DJP/MMP

• Like 4

5 hours ago, djparkins said:

Agreed - but I think all the posts have been towards that end, and not at all off-topic - i.e. to encourage you and to show that it can be done without any problems. I wish you well in the build and look forward to seeing how it all progresses. Any advice you need - just ask here or PM me.

DJP/MMP

Thanks David, I may well need it. 

It took me over a year to build an MMP dogfish I purchased from home of O Gauge, one thing I learned when building the chassis was to dry fit every thing before applying solder, I found this out by tinning a MMP 08 Chassis and inner and outer part did not fit.

I have now 7 MMP dogfish if I had the time i would build more

Ian G

• Like 2

These kits are the best! I have build 4 of them and have two more on the shelf.

The spring assembly is easy once you understand the concept.

IMG_20190120_163937_sml.jpg.feb69f59959f669fafdd9ea9d5563600.jpg

As far as I am concerned, the most prototypical kits available. The same quality as the Martin Finney loco kits.

I hope David forgave me that I built one of his diag 2102 kits with wooden planks. :-)

Michael

Edited by michl080
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, michl080 said:

These kits are the best! I have build 4 of them and have two more on the shelf.

The spring assembly is easy once you understand the concept.

IMG_20190120_163937_sml.jpg.feb69f59959f669fafdd9ea9d5563600.jpg

As far as I am concerned, the most prototypical kits available. The same quality as the Martin Finney loco kits.

I hope David forgave me that I built one of his diag 2102 kits with wooden planks. :-)

Michael

Must have similar interests. I too have a dia. 2102 kit. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...