Strange details in Hornby Maunsell coach

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

I recently bought R4834, maunsell corridor third in BR green.

In the detail bag with the close couplings, came these four green strips, each 44mm x2mm.

What are they for? I can't see anything obvious and there are no instructions.

Thanks

Ian

20210616_151307.jpg.b2886b56ccb36748cf15b337db77d22e.jpg

Coach boards.

Look at the sides of the roof for the location places.

I assume you need to provide your own transfers or stickers though. Plenty of transfer makers do them.

Fox, Modelmasters, Sankey Scenics, Smiths (who do couplings and tarpaulins), etc.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Coach boards.

Look at the sides of the roof for the location places.

I assume you need to provide your own transfers or stickers though. Plenty of transfer makers do them.

Fox, Modelmasters, Sankey Scenics, Smiths (who do couplings and tarpaulins), etc.

Jason

Ah yes, I see now. I did think they might be carriage boards, but the fact that they was four of them and no lettering threw me.

Thank you

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Never seen any of those in Any I've bought. Didn't know Hornby even did them. Is this a new edition coach as mine are all older purchases?

I don't use them but have a drawer full of them from purchases made over the last 10 years. I've kept them in case I sell the coaches and can then say I've got the detail pack!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Never seen any of those in Any I've bought. Didn't know Hornby even did them. Is this a new edition coach as mine are all older purchases?

I bought it new from kernow about a month ago.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Certain services utilised two boards per side of coach with first board denoting name of train where applicable and the second board stating key destination(s) and route.

Example: “Atlantic Coast Express” and “Waterloo - Ilfracombe”.  (Note: Some unnamed trains also carried carried coach roof boards and not necessarily on all vehicles in rake.

See photo for model examples (from Web)

8F694110-C412-4A3C-A1BD-5C2361303A57.jpeg.8d196f20e1355ef47000fb5649a29c2a.jpeg

Edited by Right Away
Clarification
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I bought some of the first run of Maunsell coaches and they were included with mine. 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Maybe I had better check the boxes on mine then? 

P

They are usually included in the inner packaging, between the plastic sleeve and the clamshell. I cannot recall a main-line Maunsell without them.  The LSWR rebuilds, of course, do not need them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

They are usually included in the inner packaging, between the plastic sleeve and the clamshell. I cannot recall a main-line Maunsell without them.  The LSWR rebuilds, of course, do not need them.

Ah, I've obviously been dead for ten years.

Thanks.

P

• RMweb Gold

The primary objective of the roof boards was to convey relevant information of the train to the passenger.  

However, in the example of the Southern’s ACE, It does give cause to wonder what perceptions may have been gained by some poor souls on the use of the word “Express” as they wended their way on the last lap of their journey (the final 62.5 miles between Okehampton and Padstow taking 2hrs 7mins).

Arguably, it is for its exploits east of Exeter that this train has earned fame and so justified its title and carriage roof boards. Off- season, with a handful of bogies, trundling along the “Withered Arm”  was a completely different scenario. 

Misnamed or not, what would we not give to be able to take that journey now, by steam; even if it took all day!

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2021 at 20:17, Oldddudders said:

Betjeman had it right 

"Can it really be
That this same carriage came from Waterloo?"

I suspect he'd have alit at St Kew Highway. 

As soon as you put that I immediately read it hearing his voice if you get my drift?

• Friendly/supportive 1