Skytrex NRL 3K Fairburn - chassis?

• RMweb Gold

I have obtained a white metal upper body/boiler kit for a 3K Fairburn, by Skytrex Road 'N' Rail, and it needs a chassis and wheels etc.  What type of chassis do I need for this kit and does anyone still produce them?  If not, can anyone please help with plans and details for the chassis in order for me to try and scratchbuild one?

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Premium

Given the age of the kit it may well have been designed for the old Farish Black 5 chassis. You might find that it would fit a current Farish Fairburn.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Kris said:

Given the age of the kit it may well have been designed for the old Farish Black 5 chassis. You might find that it would fit a current Farish Fairburn.  

Hi Kris,

You are correct - designed to fit the old type Farish Black Five chassis.

Yes - it will fit the current Bachfar 2-6-4T chassis - may need slight carving on the inside to give sufficient clearance but plenty of meat in the castings to do this.

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both, that is helpful.  Is there a go-to supplier for these types of components?  I know that the 2mm Assoc. does a Black 5 etched chassis but not sure that would be compatible.

cheer,
Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Royal42 said:

Thanks both, that is helpful.  Is there a go-to supplier for these types of components?

cheer,
Mike

Hi Mike

It will be a case of seeing what appears on ebay, what is avaiable from Farish Spares and Peters Spares.

Also put a Wanted add in N Gauge Forum or on Facebook N Gauge Forum.

Thanks

Phil H

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil, I shall try the Farish and Peters sites; I don't have facebook or use ebay.  I have just joined the N Gauge Society, got my welcome pack this morning, so I could ask on there as you suggest.

cheers,

Mike

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Royal42 said:

Thanks both, that is helpful.  Is there a go-to supplier for these types of components?  I know that the 2mm Assoc. does a Black 5 etched chassis but not sure that would be compatible.

cheer,
Mike

The Black 5 chassis from the 2mm Assoc is a very different beast, whilst would possibly could bodge it to fit you would almost certainly find it easier to scratch build a chassis. The old Farish Black 5 chassis is poor. Your best bet would be the new Fairburn chassis, though I suspect that you will find that purchasing one of these is very close to the price of a complete model. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kris,

I didn't realise how expensive N gauge locos would be when I started this venture.   I have been mainly concentrating on the ground and track work, with the intention of getting a loco when that was all completed.  I shall have a go at scratch building a chassis, perhaps as a 3D print, and get the wheels from the 2mm Assoc.   Apologies for the constant questions but does anyone know which wheels I would need to order?

cheers.
Mike