Guildex 2021 CANCELLED

Jackie K

Guildex 2021 CANCELLED

The Events Team and the Management Committee of the Gauge O Guild are sorry to announce that Guildex 2021 which was scheduled for 4th & 5th September has been cancelled. The delay to lifting restrictions and ongoing perception of risk means there are too many uncertainties.

Let's hope things are much better in 2022.

Jackie

Jackie Kneeshaw

Chairman of Events 

1940271258_Cancelledposter.jpg.357256246a267fc0deb550efb276d45b.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Paul A Biro said:

Feeble minded. If we dont get back to normal as soon as possible we never will. things will be as good as they are going to get and we oldies will have had both vaccines.

Sorry, completely disagree but we can agree to differ. Too many still not getting it.

Went to the village chippie tonight, four young adolescents in a group not very distanced. As the shop is small we order the  food then stand outside waiting the cooking so I guess technically  no restrictions outside other than the 30 limit. Two with masks round the chin (duh!) the other two mask free. I wasn’t comfortable. With stats showing another growth we still should all be being prudent and attempting some form of distancing and masking.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 8

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

Feeble minded. If we dont get back to normal as soon as possible we never will. things will be as good as they are going to get and we oldies will have had both vaccines.

Seriously?

It's still very likely that some exhibitors may wish to still keep a distance from others or not stay away from home , the same for some traders and even organisers assistants. Factor in the potential for reduced attendance and they could be looking at a loss - but none of that matters to you does it?

Please respect their decision and support them, not insult them.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

I understand the sentiment, but if you look at it from the organisers perspective - we're not out of the final stage of lockdown which will impact potential numbers of people attending, then there is as Andy points out, the numbers of people who will attend and finally getting exhibitors and retail to attend, for the latter would they even make any money.

There is still a chance that things get worse again and they are simply told they cannot hold the exhibition and with it difficult to obtain Covid insurance then they may well be very out of pocket from expenses cancelling any later than now.

They've made a sensible decision in good time to mitigate any losses and I don't blame them, it's not worth the financial risk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

I am sure the time will come but with cases rising, a variant that seems to be spreading rapidly and cases of people with both vaccines still ending up in hospital, plus the forward planning that a show needs, it is a sad but sensible, not a feeble, decision. The Guild are not alone. That is now 3 September shows I was due to vist cancelled. When you look at the demographic attending shows, you can be pretty sure that not everybody is in tip top health and many will have some form of underlying health issues, which make people more vulnerable. That is what happens when you reach your 60s and 70s or beyond.

My concern would be that the staff at the venue may not have been vaccinated, even if "we" all have. Then there is the contact with people as you travel to and from the venue, plus at any accomodation involved. Spending a full weekend, indoors, with perhaps hundreds of people, some of whom may not have been vaccinated, isn't something I would want to do just yet.

• Agree 8

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

There speaks someone with no concept of the mind-boggling cost of one of these venues and the commensurate risk the organisers are taking on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 16

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

There speaks someone with no concept of the mind-boggling cost of one of these venues and the commensurate risk the organisers are taking on.

Not to mention the challenge of re establishing the event at a new venue and the uncertain availability of the dozens of volunteers who make the show happen. Hopefully, we might just be back to "normal" in time for the 70th bash in 2023!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

We need a "Prat" button. :declare: :jester:

The Guild are damned if they do & damned if they don't. They were severely criticised for not cancelling the 2019 Kettering show due to very bad weather, now they cop it from a selfish few for taking what the vast majority will view as a sensible precaution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

PLONKER 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

If we take out the " feeble minded", this is a reasonable point of view that a significant number of people might subscribe to. Others, myself included might disagree. Upping personal insults will help noone, so perhaps it is time to put this to bed. Before we do, a big thanks to the events committee who have had to organize ,5 or is it 6 shows in the hope that they just might go ahead.

Edited by doilum
Predictive text error
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My reading of the UK daily stats put out by HMG tells me things are not going well. A third wave is being spoken of by those qualified to make such pronouncements. And if GOG is to look to its future, oldies are not the entire target audience. GOG is right, life is very uncertain and Covid is still very much with us. I haven't seen my wife since last October - we've not been married 6 years, but live in separate countries, which for Covid reasons are not keen on visitors one from the other. We cope. Meanwhile, you worry about a model exhibition......

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Feeble minded ? 

What then are your recomendations to ensure the safe running of an exhibition whilst ensuring compliance with the current Health Protection Regulations along with the well being of exhibitors, traders, visitors and those entrusted with the running of the exhibition itself ? 

All this within a cost effective framework. 

There's nothing feeble minded about those who have to take these things into consideration. 

Rob. 

• Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I haven't seen my wife since last October

Well, at least me and my wife are thankfully within the same social bubble.  We thought it was hard that neither of us have been able to see either of our daughters for now nearly a year and a half for the same reasons.   You have our sympathies.  By comparison being unable to attend model railway shows pales into insignificance.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Paul A Biro said:

Please define "normal"...everything changes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/06/2021 at 23:07, Paul A Biro said:

The youngsters among us have not had both vaccines & we are constantly moaning about the lack of younger modellers.

Have things got as good as they are going to get? The current rise in infection rates suggests that things are heading in the wrong direction so the least we can do is try to contain the issue.

Ignoring it for too long caused the first spike to be worse than it could otherwise have been. Many were wanting a normal Christmas last year, but just trying caused too much trouble.

We should learn from this & be cautious, not try to plough on regardless with plans then blame the government when things go wrong.

I am disappointed this show has been cancelled but I understand the decision & look forward to the next one which can be held.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

A sensible decision given the current situation. Yes the vaccine is helping but we are not out of the woods yet. The Guild could face large losses if it had to cancel at a late stage and I’m sure they would then be criticised for being reckless with members money. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

A sensible decision given the current situation. Yes the vaccine is helping but we are not out of the woods yet. The Guild could face large losses if it had to cancel at a late stage and I’m sure they would then be criticised for being reckless with members money. 

Not a member, but I am aware there is already dissension  among O Gaugers about the GOG. Holding the show in the face of common sense would not have helped. 

• Agree 2

In Torquay we’ve had to postpone a six week summer season run of ‘Allo, ‘Allo for the second year running. We were due to open in early August but there are too many in the cast to meet indoors to rehearse now that restrictions haven’t been lifted. Both Ian and I had minor roles in it but are hoping normal conditions will enable us to participate next summer. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Ashcombe said:

summer season run of ‘Allo, ‘Allo .... Both Ian and I had minor roles

Oh, there are so many visions running through my mind.

"It is I, LeDudders'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Oh, there are so many visions running through my mind.

"It is I, LeDudders'

Perhaps the following phrase could be used by moderators..........

"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once"

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Look at it objectively - 

My local club, if they hold the show, would expect it to be on the last Saturday of autumn half-term week so probably 30th Oct or 6th Nov. As a prospective attendee with a society stand  (we did it in 2019 - 2020 was cancelled) I wouldn’t want to commit to it until knowing what the COVID situation is like a couple of weeks before hand.  If the club were to say we will try to run it our alternative would be say yes we will be there and then possibly have to pull out late on because the situation is still iffy. If even a small club can’t plan because of uncertainties over exhibitors and traders then a bigger event like GoG/ GUILDEX is equally vulnerable to changing circumstances BUT crucially with a much bigger £ loss risk.

• Agree 4