Hornby T9 mazak rot

I am familiar with the Hornby T9 locomotives afflicted by mazak rot,  but after buying a known non-runner,  "Imperial Airways" train pack with T9 "338",  described as gears not meshing with motor,  I am curious as to whether this is a new loco to add to the list or if a previous owner has substituted a known T9 "312" (loco only) in the train pack.  I already have two "338" and when last tested the chassis were intact.  Until I receive the loco and check the running number on the front pilot beam I will not be able to ascertain if substitution has occurred.  The loco will be either repaired by gluing down the motor (Peters Spares still want GBP40.00 to ship the brass replacement gearcase cover),  or the loco will be demotored and become a dummy for doubleheading or stationary exhibit in the yard.   At the price purchased the pack will still be a bargain even if the loco is made a dummy.

On 17/06/2021 at 23:25, GWR-fan said:

I am familiar with the Hornby T9 locomotives afflicted by mazak rot,  but after buying a known non-runner,  "Imperial Airways" train pack with T9 "338",  described as gears not meshing with motor,  I am curious as to whether this is a new loco to add to the list or if a previous owner has substituted a known T9 "312" (loco only) in the train pack.  I already have two "338" and when last tested the chassis were intact.  Until I receive the loco and check the running number on the front pilot beam I will not be able to ascertain if substitution has occurred.  The loco will be either repaired by gluing down the motor (Peters Spares still want GBP40.00 to ship the brass replacement gearcase cover),  or the loco will be demotored and become a dummy for doubleheading or stationary exhibit in the yard.   At the price purchased the pack will still be a bargain even if the loco is made a dummy.

Hi GWR,

Why do you not consider putting a chassis kit under it. I am sure there must be one out there for it.

@GWR-fanI bought a T9 second hand with this problem. The Suburban Commuter 1938 pack. On getting it apart the mazak had literally disintegrated. I sent it to Hornby who fixed it free of charge. I have a spare Peters Spares part somewhere. Not sure where, could be at storage. I'll have a look and get back to you if I find it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi GWR,

Why do you not consider putting a chassis kit under it. I am sure there must be one out there for it.

Possibly not worth it. You can get a new one for what you would pay for all the extras as the Hornby wheels, motor, etc wouldn't fit the chassis kit. So £30 chassis kit, £20 motor/gears, £20 wheels.

I got a brand new one on Amazon for about £100 the other week.

I saw it myself and was tempted for the coaches. But I decided to pass, not that it was a bad deal. Especially if you consider the two coaches are worth more than £30 each plus the luggage van must be worth at least a tenner.

You just need one of these and a bit of work and it should be repairable. I'm sure there was a thread on it.

https://www.petersspares.com/peters-spares-ps61-replacement-Hornby-t9-motor-mount.ir

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I've glued down the motor on one Hornby T9 and it runs just fine (if anything better than it did when new).

However, you do need to pack the motor up a bit to compensate for the removal of the (rotted) cradle.

I played around with plasticard offcuts and double sided tape to establish the height needed to obtain a satisfactory gear mesh (a bit lower than the cradle in my case) before doing the final fix with a good superglue.

By mounting the motor very slightly lower, the worm meshes a little deeper and prevents the gear lifting, so compensating for losing the part of the cradle that formerly covered it. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Additional final paragraph
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thankyou all.  I have repaired seven T9 previously using the brass gearcase cover from Peters spares.   Like Jason,  I considered the train pack just for the coaches alone,  with the loco being a bonus even if not working.  In a way I am hoping that the previous owner substituted the T9 ("312") from the 1938 Suburban pack because if not then my two original locomotives from the Imperial Airways pack might also succumb to the evil mazak rot.     At one time I was purchasing the Suburban train packs very inexpensively, due the failed locomotive,   simply to get the Maunsell coaches,  because at the time Hornby had not released subsequent coaches and the add-on pack of three coaches was so rare that it almost exceeded the cost of the train pack.

My Imperial Airways pack arrived this afternoon,  so I set to work finding the cause of the driving wheels freewheeling.  Good news is that there was no substitution with a known failed drive and there was no sign of mazak rot,  so I can rest assured my other T9's will be OK.  The reason for the drive freewheeling was that the loco had been physically abused causing the driven axle to move sideways resulting in the axle mounted gear being shifted away from the knurled serrations on the drive axle.  Moving the gear back onto the serrations and a drop of superglue I am hoping will resuscitate this poor neglected model.  I give full kudos to the Chinese assembly workers that build these models.  I have rebuilt several hundred models and this is up there with the most difficult models I have had the misfortune to repair.  It is not so much as being difficult but fiddly as you get one part in position and then while attempting to assemble,  another part causes the earlier part to dismantle.

After a nervous hour or so the loco was back together.   This model once again shows me that no matter how delicate or expensive our models are there are always those who have the capability or is that lack of ability,  to damage them.   A previous owner in fitting a Hornby decoder actually sandwiched one of the tender steps between the tender chassis and the body.  The loco had numerous damaged parts although cosmetically from about three feet the model looks fine.  I managed to massage some damaged parts and refit them.  I still need to find some thin wire to use as a cab handrail upright.

A test run was successfully carried out so all the work was not in vain.   Was the train pack value?  For a total outlay of GBP99.00 including airmail post,  I have a decoder (untested),  a presentable loco that works,  an as new Pullman coach,  a Maunsell third class brake coach and a mint bogie utility van.  Current Hattons individual prices on these coach items is GBP30.00 each,  so effectively I have a working loco plus decoder for the cost of postage.   I do not fancy pulling another T9 apart again so if the loco fails in the future it will find itself to be a stationary ornament. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

I have a decoder (untested),  a presentable loco that works,  an as new Pullman coach,  a Maunsell third class brake coach and a mint bogie utility van.  

The Maunsell coach is a high-window BCK - much more useful! Almost every remote West of England terminus would get one of these daily, detached from the Atlantic Coast Express!