A Picture: Page 59, Salisbury to Exeter Central: Derek Phillips.

• RMweb Premium

A plea for help if I may?

The train on this page (see header) has been challenging me for years. I know what the Bulleids are (well, 3 of the 5 of them) but the Pullmans are still really baffling, except for perhaps the 6th coach, which I am sure is a ex Hastings Car in Green, one of the select 6! 

If anyone has this book and could have a guess at the identity of the three leading Pullmans, as Coaches 2, 3 & 4, I would be lost grateful.

I think Coach 2, the first Pullman after the engine, is an ex Hastings Car as it looks narrow compared to the following two and the window arrangement is easy to see on the nearside; 3 & 4  are the puzzling ones, not being identical. I guess Car 208 (7 large windows no gaps) and maybe Car 213 (7 large windows, one gap between 6 and 7?)

I am reluctant to repost the page picture here as it may be Copyright.

It is a Picture of the Westcountryman Railtour, Waterloo to Exeter Central in September 1958; Six Bells Junction just list the formation, not the individual coach identity, other than Bulleid Set 775 reinforced with 4 Pullman Cars and a 'further' Bulleid Open 2nd. Set 775 may have been running as a 5 Car set (with two 'additional' Open Seconds) anyway at this time?)

It is one of those mysteries I just really would love to solve and a super Train to replicate.

Many thanks,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022