Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Yeah well done Cavalex . The level of detail looks superb . Never had a 56, might just be tempted  but I'll await the price . 

People are predicting Bachmann make one , following on from their 69. But the 69 can stand as a model in its own right . I don't think it necesserily follows that a 56 would have been on the way . Unless Bachmann has had one in development and the 69 is a follow up on a yet to be announced (three monthly announcements - they must be working on something new) 56 , I think you are pretty safe .   As to Hornby , well if you snooze you lose . I suspect they will compete on price , whenever we find out what Cavalex pricing is . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RBE said:

The livery list is not exhaustive at this stage. We will keep you updated with any news regarding further options.

One glaring omission for me is a Transrail grey one. They were widespread in Wales , the north and into the EWS era, I could really go for one .

Hornby never did Transrail on their GTi version , but they did do RF grey, LL and EWS ( albeit with various levels of fidelity in the tool ) .

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yeah well done Cavalex . The level of detail looks superb . Never had a 56, might just be tempted  but I'll await the price . 

People are predicting Bachmann make one , following on from their 69. But the 69 can stand as a model in its own right . I don't think it necesserily follows that a 56 would have been on the way . Unless Bachmann has had one in development and the 69 is a follow up on a yet to be announced (three monthly announcements - they must be working on something new) 56 , I think you are pretty safe .   As to Hornby , well if you snooze you lose . I suspect they will compete on price , whenever we find out what Cavalex pricing is . 

The pricing will be competitive and comparable to other current manufacturers.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Wow. 

Presumably the changes to the roof grills that were part of the refurbishments and reliability mods in the 90s will not feature in the first run, hence the absence of more modern liveries such as COLAS.

Nice one, guys. I think a few will be winging their way to Waverley West - BR blue, Large Logo, original Railfreight and Coal Sector at first glance. What with Accurascale's plans as well (not to mention possibly Heljan's 47 if that's up to the mark too), the next few years are looking expensive.

It'll be nice to have some 56s which don't drag the leading wagon off on every reverse curve too. I have to agree with Lee's comment about Hornby not listening. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Wow. 

Presumably the changes to the roof grills that were part of the refurbishments and reliability mods in the 90s will not feature in the first run, hence the absence of more modern liveries such as COLAS.

The changed roof grilles are part of the first run yes.

Cavalex 56 001-030 LH.png

Cavalex 56 056-090 LH.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Almost every Transrail grey 56s had something different in the livery application department. That will keep the researchers busy.

Very much looking forward to these, and hopefully later batches of EW&S, Dutch, Dutch Transrail and how about undercoat?

How about 56049 with it's odd cabs or 56042 with its prototype class 58 bogies?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RP82 said:

Almost every Transrail grey 56s had something different in the livery application department. That will keep the researchers busy.

Very much looking forward to these, and hopefully later batches of EW&S, Dutch, Dutch Transrail and how about undercoat?

Thanks for the suggestion, there are a few others with odd cabs:

014, 029 and 030. I have posted some links below to photos on Flickr (not my photos):

Class 56

Class 56

https://flic.kr/ps/2hV4Eo

56030 in freshly applied coal livery is seen on mgr duties at Chesterfield on 20-6-88. I Cuthbertson collection

https://flic.kr/ps/LSQ2L

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, RP82 said:

Having just finished 56049 I dont need a RTR model coming out and taking away its uniqueness :p 

Going to be very tempted to source a suitable model to build the example in Red Stripe (who's number escapes me) which was seen on the end of a Virgin Cross Country working.  

4 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Having just finished 56049 I dont need a RTR model coming out and taking away its uniqueness :p 

Going to be very tempted to source a suitable model to build the example in Red Stripe (who's number escapes me) which was seen on the end of a Virgin Cross Country working.  

56019 is your machine in question

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grimleygrid said:

You beat me to it!

Oh look....

CM---56019-Red-Stripe-Railfreight-livery.png.c95ad1cc2f9f0f39988ebe01d44ae20e.png

Hope that helps.

Haha yeah would look spot on hauling VXc mk2s and it been a local Immingham loco it fits perfectly

2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

There is a large Class 56 and 58 photo group on Flickr which is very useful for dating livery versions and detail differences although you do rely on the uploaders accurately placing dates on their work which sometimes isn't the case.  Nevertheless it is a very useful resource.

I have timetable/stock sequences based around 1986 and 1993 on my layout which is an absolute nightmare for livery changes and tweaks, but I've already found a couple of  Romanian Grids which were still banger blue in 1993, and a single large logo blue Doncaster cab example photographed in 1993, saving me a few pence!

Thanks. I agree Flickr and other sources can be used to track down individual locos and liviries.

My main question was where the locos were running in the liveries chosen. For example I brought a Hornby 31 which was confirmed in the south east however not the Blue livery Hornby did their's in.

I feel confident that their research material doubtless has the answer and it would be wonderful Cavalex to hint at where the locos generally were when they carried these liveries.

12 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

So, couplings ....

Looking at the large overhang is a reliable NEM pocket viable if attached to the body? - I assume you are planning R2 compatibility

We have no concern regarding how the NEM pocket operates, its a robust design on our stock, however minimum radius is likely to be recommended R3 but minimum potential R2 due to the prototypical limited clearance with the detail on the battery box area. This is something that will be assessed more definitively when the EP samples are produced.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

56019, I saw it at Manchester Piccadilly working a cross country service.

• RMweb Gold

I’m really impressed by them but I’m going to hold off for now because being on a limited budget, I have to be super critical on what I’m buying.  As Colas and DCR liveried Class 56’s were regulars on my Sleaford East Junction layout, I’ll wait until their announcement.

If I had to pick one, it would be 56019, thundering out of Manchester Piccadilly on a Cross Country service, heading south.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When new some class 56’s worked Piccadilly -Sheffield services.

They were the first 56’s I saw and at my young age I thought they were passenger locos because of it.

My memory serves at least 4 occasions in short succession, two of which I rode on (O&D to Sheffield on a trainspotting trip, so they were same day).

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1