Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It was kind of slow evolution, in the late 60s some 73’s and Transpeninnes acquired full yellow cabs, those 73’s got light grey roofs too but didnt really look that attractive, someone added Black cabs, a large logo and numbers.. the rest is history.

But the point I am trying to make is that this was brand new, but other brand new ones were not finished like this. Was there a reason why this one was selected to have higher quality finish?

Paul

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

But the point I am trying to make is that this was brand new, but other brand new ones were not finished like this. Was there a reason why this one was selected to have higher quality finish?

Paul

I always understood it was experimental, and it was just the one to be selected.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

FFertiS  does look rather good.

56049 fertis @ CREWE DIESEL DEPOT stored .. (5)

(flickr not mine)

:D

As far as the prototype is concerned, I really don't give a s**t what paint they carry. Replication of a fond memory time line in a miniature scale? Yeah, I'm a bit more picky. 

C6T. 

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

A contemporary 56 in Colas would probably go well - they seem to be widely travelled at the moment..

50975936713_93906452b5_z.jpg

51068720487_b5ffe5126b_z.jpg

I'm building Donny circa 2019, so although I have my sound fitted one as above, I do really need a pair :)

Cheers,

WV908 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

As far as the prototype is concerned, I really don't give a s**t what paint they carry. Replication of a fond memory time line in a miniature scale? Yeah, I'm a bit more picky. 

C6T. 

Totally agree.

with age, you start to have multiple fond memories of the same locomotive, in different liveries etc... 87002 Ive had lots of memories in many of its guises, including saying good bye to it for the last time, thrice.

Edited by adb968008

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Totally agree.

Trouble is with age, you start to have multiple fond memories of the same locomotive, in different liveries etc.

F'sure! I joined the C56G in the mid '90s. As many fan society groups in their early days work, you'd be given a membership number and 56078 came up for me. I had no particular affiliation with that particular loco but' 78 has by fate become an often newsworthy Grid. My Grid, if you will. 

I don't need 56078 on my (any of my) layouts for any particular reason, I'd probably by one though. Haha!

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RBE said:

The livery list is not exhaustive at this stage. We will keep you updated with any news regarding further options.

Do you know roughly when the final livery list will be completed?  They are really exciting models but those listed are really before my layouts time frame, hence the ask about Colas and DCR loco’s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

134 should be just a renumber, check prototype images for small square grille for cab air-con tho'.

004 is (or rather, was latterly) Crewe cabs either end of a Romanian body, simple in theory, but I'm unsure how model manufacture works to suggest it'd be a marketable exercise for Cavalex.

Similarly, I'd love a 56049 in Transrail Dutch, early Donny cab one end - late batch the other. 

And that's not even broaching the subject of "top-hats" and exhaust port irregularities within the class. I thought I was a champion anorak for Grids until a member sent in a piece detailing roof gubbins on certain locomotives to the C56G newsletter!

I think if I was a model manufacturer I'd have a red list of prototype machines never to be even attempted, even within an ostensibly "all the bleeding same" build!

C6T. 

Then there's 041, 068 and 102 that had extra revised cantrail grills. I know that 102 had some mods to increase its haulage capabilities, Immingham tried not to let it roam far from home. I wonder if they will have a crack at 063 after it's graffiti cover up?

• RMweb Gold

Good to see this announcement, timed perfectly to coincide with BR an era coming to my layout.

I will wait for further information about sound fitted versions before ordering. I can definitely see 3 or more of these arriving at Chesborough North.

7 hours ago, big jim said:

Nothing for me in the initial batch but if 56081 as currently running gets announced at some point then I’ll be up for that

1205AC1B-ED2E-49BE-AF48-6D3CF6DFD975.jpeg.937c0acb089c12e69ddc8143dc806dee.jpeg

ive got it again this Monday crewe to leicester 

The livery equivalent of plain white bread ! I guess it would be popular with those modelling current stuff of which there are a surprising number 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Thanks. I agree Flickr and other sources can be used to track down individual locos and liviries.

My main question was where the locos were running in the liveries chosen. For example I brought a Hornby 31 which was confirmed in the south east however not the Blue livery Hornby did their's in.

I feel confident that their research material doubtless has the answer and it would be wonderful Cavalex to hint at where the locos generally were when they carried these liveries.

Hi JSpencer, could I please ask what is your preferred modelling period? Depending on when you are modelling could potentially affect where certain locos were allocated.

6 hours ago, 66738 said:

Am I right in thinking that from the mid ‘80’s, 008 had round buffers at #1 end and oval at #2 end? All photos on Flickr seem to show this.

Hi 66738, yes you are correct. I preferred round myself on the Romanian version.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

The livery equivalent of plain white bread ! I guess it would be popular with those modelling current stuff of which there are a surprising number 

I was going to say that on Facebook groups etc. there are more than what there are on here proportionally, but I also think that any sort of social area for this sort of thing doesn't depict the true demographic, other than shows perhaps. Facebook is probably popular with younger people on average than internet forums, but then some people (generally older) won't involve themselves with either.

And I think that the younger somebody is the more likely they are to want more recent stuff.

I feel that around the present day (which is what I am into, although I am considering freezing at 2020) is an interesting time. There is still a lot of older locos about (37s, 56s, 47s being the most prominent) whilst having loads of colourful liveries to go at and new locos such as the 68s.

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I was going to say that on Facebook groups etc. there are more than what there are on here proportionally, but I also think that any sort of social area for this sort of thing doesn't depict the true demographic, other than shows perhaps. Facebook is probably popular with younger people on average than internet forums, but then some people (generally older) won't involve themselves with either.

And I think that the younger somebody is the more likely they are to want more recent stuff.

I feel that around the present day (which is what I am into, although I am considering freezing at 2020) is an interesting time. There is still a lot of older locos about (37s, 56s, 47s being the most prominent) whilst having loads of colourful liveries to go at and new locos such as the 68s.

That’s true in so much as someone in their 70s is probably less likely to be in , say FB, modelling groups , as the younger generation so interest is more focused to current stuff.

we’ve had these debates before and I’m not going there here -  but in three days of going up and down the GWML this week I saw one 37 on a yellow train at reading and 2x 57 in the depot for sleeper trains. The rest was 66s , 800s and 387s. Interesting locos are not common I’d say - there’s not many left.

Not that the GWML variety was much better in my childhood - mainly units and HSTs with a sprinkling of 50s and the odd 31 and 47 - but boy , did they sound more enticing than the current volt powered stuff with its strange “ building up to light speed “ sound on moving off .

anyway back to the new chuffer 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

It’s getting harder to keep track of who’s making what ....

old days it was simple - red box, blue box or danish box !

Lol, it is all relative. Danish boxes didn’t exist for me in the old days, it was red box, black box or Italian box.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Good to see the retailer list and support for them. 

As a retailer based offer, I wonder if there are any ‘single’ or  ‘group’ retailer exclusive editions in the pipeline?

Suggestion- Accurascale don’t list all proposed 37’s on their own website (!), so if Cavalex do specific retailer exclusives, hopefully they will list where to get them! 

And a quick headcount of the first 22 hours of posts suggests that Colas should be seriously considered for ‘list 2’!

Just sayin  :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

56 certainly looks good and there seem to be lots of variants to consider . While I appreciate RBE telling us the price will be competitive , I’m old fashioned enough to want to see price before committing 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

nah ‘plain white bread’ is the fertis livery

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 66738 said:

Am I right in thinking that from the mid ‘80’s, 008 had round buffers at #1 end and oval at #2 end? All photos on Flickr seem to show this.

56013 in Coal Sector also had round at one end and oval at t’other.

I only know this as I have a model with incorrect buffers at one end.

C29376DF-1327-4854-8740-8DDC6EAD8D8A.jpeg

• Like 1