Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

20 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

Hi JSpencer, may I suggest looking on eBay or other such sites for old copies of Platform5's Motive Power Pocket Books. These are perfect for loco allocations and also Railfreight Sector pools.

This would be very helpful for choosing locos that would be suitable for your area of interest.

Hope that helps.

Also preserved railway book stalls / preservation society sales coaches are a good source for these. As an example one of the coaches at Bewdley station which houses a steam loco society shop has boxes of platform 5 books. 
Cheers, Bill. 

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

I thought I would share a link to a very nice photo on Flickr showing two different cab styles of the Class 56, 56069 and 56020:

Class 56 cab contrasts at Toton, 1988

I love a good spot the difference. I won't be getting one as they are way out of my scene but this is looking like a good model and do hope this is a huge success for Cavalex. It should hopefully go some way to keeping the bigger manufactures somewhat more humble either in price or quality though that is wishful thinking no doubt.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

It would be very interesting if this gets to market on or before the Hornby version who are currently expecting 'Winter 21/22'.

Considering its not yet tooled up , and its almost july already, i would guess theres no chance of seeing it this year, but im happy to be wrong.

On 21/06/2021 at 18:26, Grimleygrid said:

I thought I would share a link to a very nice photo on Flickr showing two different cab styles of the Class 56, 56069 and 56020:

Class 56 cab contrasts at Toton, 1988

The later cab version seems to be sporting a very unusual radio aerial.  I wonder if there are any plans to include this rare, possibly experimental feature?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

As young 2nd secondman starting my footplate career in 1978 I have fond memories of these locos, many fresh of the production line. To me 56036 will always be special, not because it was large logo genesis but because it arrived at Coalville almost new as I sat waiting for the interview which set me on a 40 year career! So I really hope to see that loco in the range , special commission anyone? 

Here is 56060 passing the fueling point at Burton on Trent circa 1980

56060 Passing Burton on Trent loco..jpg

Here is 56064 at Drakelow C station.

56064 at Drakelow..jpg

Note 064 has the larger headlight another minor difference, this was in as new condition, 061 being the first to carry the larger style from new. 

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, APT Fan said:

It would be very interesting if this gets to market on or before the Hornby version who are currently expecting 'Winter 21/22'.

We are not trying to beat hormbys next run of their model to market, our class 56 is aimed at modellers who are looking for an improvement over what is currently available.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4

1 hour ago, RBE said:

We are not trying to beat hormbys next run of their model to market, our class 56 is aimed at modellers who are looking for an improvement over what is currently available.

It would be nice to have an idea of dates from a plnning point of view.

I notice that the models will have electrically operated roof fans? 

'Separately motor operated roof fans via a function output on DCC, or when moving'

Is this a unique feature for an OO scale model? I can't think of another and it is something I've always wondered why it isn't more common given the technology available nowadays. Its great to see a 21 pin DCC socket too, the whole project looks extremely impressive if I'm honest.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

I notice that the models will have electrically operated roof fans? 

'Separately motor operated roof fans via a function output on DCC, or when moving'

Is this a unique feature for an OO scale model? I can't think of another and it is something I've always wondered why it isn't more common given the technology available nowadays. Its great to see a 21 pin DCC socket too, the whole project looks extremely impressive if I'm honest.

I took a Hornby Grid apart with the full intention of motorising the fans (battery powered, not on dcc). The rubber band driven effort was a nice try but ultimately a damp squib, the fans on the prototype are thermostatically controlled by the coolant temperature and will run, or not, independently of whatever the engine or traction motors are doing.

Ultimately, Hornby's Grid, whilst good, needs a hefty amount of round-tuits applied to make it great. I'm hopeful Cavalex's effort will negate the requirement to be an accomplished modeller. (compliment!)

I've my eye on 097 (the last Grid I saw on the Barham Redland iirc, I've got the wagons!) and 055.

C6T. 

On 23/06/2021 at 09:04, ColinK said:

Does anyone know when each of the locos to be made was actually in service in the liveries modelled?

As far as I can see:

56008 was Blue from new until the early 90’s when it was withdrawn. The only livery it carried.

56019 went Railfreight red stripe in March 1988 and stayed in it until at least 1998. Not sure when withdrawn but I think it was still in red stripe.

56070 was Blue until at November 1989, when it went into Railfreight construction sector.

56077 was Railfreight by summer 1986. Possibly earlier. The earliest picture I can find of 077 in Coal sector diamonds is May 1991. 
56093 wore LL from new until between 1988 and 1990, when it went into Coal sector. 
56120 was LL from new until at least 1990, before going to coal sector. 

Anyone that can fill in some uncertainties with more accurate dates, please feel free to correct.

Edited by 66738
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ultimate Model Railways said:

019 was withdrawn in 1999 when it was switched off at Immingham. It was still in red stripe then, and was scrapped around 2003 afaik.

Scrapped November 2003 apparently, according to records that I've seen.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 66738 said:

As far as I can see:

56008 was Blue from new until the early 90’s when it was withdrawn. The only livery it carried.

56019 went Railfreight red stripe in March 1988 and stayed in it until at least 1998. Not sure when withdrawn but I think it was still in red stripe.

56070 was Blue until at November 1989, when it went into Railfreight construction sector.

56077 was Railfreight by summer 1986. Possibly earlier. The earliest picture I can find of 077 in Coal sector diamonds is May 1991. 
56093 wore LL from new until between 1988 and 1990, when it went into Coal sector. 

Anyone that can fill in some uncertainties with more accurate dates, please feel free to correct.

Only comment I would make is that 56093 was standard large logo when new, and I think Cavalex are giving it Tinsley's special paint job that it got  in the mid-80s.

Roy

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 66738 said:

As far as I can see:

I'll try to put some more flesh on the bones, sorry Grids! A few allocations as well

56008 TI & TO

56018 EWS 1998 to withdrawn, IM

56019 TO & CF as well

56023 Coal sector 1988-93 TO

56046 Construction CF, TO & SL Seems to have carried the Westbury "Prancing Horse" depot plaque for a while see link (or was it an advert for Lloyd's Bank?)

56055 Loadhaul 1995-2003 IM 7 TE

56070 TO

56074  Coal 1988-94 TI/IM/TE

56077 Railfreight 1986-90 TO

56093 Large Logo until 1989

56097 Metals 1993-98 TE & IM

56120 Large Logo to 1992 TI/GD/IM/TE

Feel free to add - not sure about depot plaques on other sector locos as TBH, 56046 is my main interest.

Edited by Kingstoke Junction
  • Like 3

On 23/06/2021 at 21:21, APT Fan said:

I notice that the models will have electrically operated roof fans

Hornby added an electrically operated roof fan on their Electrotren ALCo 321 in 2008 replacing the band operated fan used in the similar 316 and 318 classes. HO not OO, which is more challenging given their smaller physical size. (The Electrotren HO 316/318/321 classes are mechanically very similar models to the Hornby OO BR Class 31.)

I would suggested that very few DCC users will bother to the run it with the fan on once the initial novelty has worn off............DC users don't have a choice! Its much better than a band drive, but still pretty pointless. Hornby appear to have chosen not to offer this on OO models when it is technically feasible. 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

I would suggested that very few DCC users will bother to the run it with the fan on once the initial novelty has worn off............DC users don't have a choice! Its much better than a band drive, but still pretty pointless. Hornby appear to have chosen not to offer this on OO models when it is technically feasible. 

I think the ability to have a moving fan while the locomotive is stationary is actually more than a novelty. It adds a visibly moving feature that creates interest and attracts the eye. Having it able to move only when the locomotive is moving is pointless as it can't be seen properly due to the movement of the loco. I applaud Cavalex in doing this and hope more 'manufacturers' will follow suit.

• Like 1