Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I think the ability to have a moving fan while the locomotive is stationary is actually more than a novelty. It adds a visibly moving feature that creates interest and attracts the eye. Having it able to move only when the locomotive is moving is pointless as it can't be seen properly due to the movement of the loco. I applaud Cavalex in doing this and hope more 'manufacturers' will follow suit.

Each to their own - I'd have said "unnecessary gimmick", but some seem to value this particular feature...

Maybe I'm being unfair as those rotating fans I've seen previously have been whirring masses of garish red plastic, whereas I hope these will be more appropriately coloured... 

Hasn't stopped me ordering two locos though - there are many other features to admire!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 66738 said:

As far as I can see:

[snip]

56120 was LL from new until at least 1990, before going to coal sector. 

Anyone that can fill in some uncertainties with more accurate dates, please feel free to correct.

I'll just add that it looks like Cavalex are doing 56120 with the orange cant line  - which, going from Flickr, wasn't present until 1988-ish.

Edited by richard_t

1 hour ago, ellocoloco said:

I would suggested that very few DCC users will bother to the run it with the fan on once the initial novelty has worn off............DC users don't have a choice! 

Perhaps it could be isolated by a dip switch?   like the cab/taillights on other models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Each to their own - I'd have said "unnecessary gimmick", but some seem to value this particular feature...

Maybe I'm being unfair as those rotating fans I've seen previously have been whirring masses of garish red plastic, whereas I hope these will be more appropriately coloured... 

Hasn't stopped me ordering two locos though - there are many other features to admire!

I think it's probably then fair to say that lighting, sound, smoke/steam/fumes and other such features are gimmicks, yet as a community we've accepted them.

Personally, I'd like to see moving vents / slats as well, a noticeable feature on some locos like the 47. I daresay that will never happen though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I think it's probably then fair to say that lighting, sound, smoke/steam/fumes and other such features are gimmicks, yet as a community we've accepted them.

Personally, I'd like to see moving vents / slats as well, a noticeable feature on some locos like the 47. I daresay that will never happen though.

Yes, "gimmicks" is how I'd describe most of those features, but as a DC user who would have great difficulty chipping the whole of a collection built up over many years, I would, wouldn't I.  If it has the correct body shape in the correct livery I can happily do without all the other stuff.  Fineness of grilles/slats is important, as is overall quality of finish and livery application (something I can never hope to match).     

I agree that increasing functionality is the way the hobby is heading as a whole.  However, I'd wager that there's still a significant number of us who aren't quite so desperate for the latest features but still value the overall greater quality (generally) and running of current models over some of the previous RTR offerings.  But over time we'll dwindle in number and get shunted into the great scrap line in the sky...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

Personally I don't like smoke/steam effects as smoke/steam doesn't scale, it doesn't behave in model form like smoke does in a real loco, but I'd be up for the moving Serck radiator vents on a 47, it was such a distinctive feature of the real locos, more so than the spinning fan as you could see the vents open up from normal viewing positions, on powering up, to close again a while later.  With modern micro-servo motors, such as the one employed in the Class 90 pantograph by Bachmann, I would have thought it must be a possibility - but probably too late for the new Heljan model coming out in the next twelve months I suspect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Thanks for that, you cheered me up no end! Nothing better than to dwell on the brevity of ones existence!

I find it focusses the mind on how much more I want to fit into my existence before that day comes...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi 

A few bits of Detail that pertain to the individual Cavelex announced models 

The information is for a additional features that occurred during the lifespan of that particle livery variation only of the 12 prototypes 

From my information & a morning’s Flickr viewing ( there may well be other & date clarifications )

Regards 

TW 

56008 #

> BR Blue >> New to Withdrawal 

Note (1) ~ V type Ariel bracket applied July/August 1988

Note (2) ~ Round Buffers #1 end / Oval #2 end .. typically throughout 1984-1991 period 

Note (3) ~ cab door longer handrail modification ( late 1982 )

56018 #

> BR Blue 

> Railfreight

> Trainload Coal 

> Transrail 

> EWS >> April 1989 to Withdrawal 

Note (1) ~ EWS GPS tracker ( I think that what it was )  #2 End  above cab window

56019 #

> BR Blue

> Railfreight Redstripe >> April 1988 to Withdrawal 

Note (1) ~ Always had V type Ariel bracket in this livery .. March 1988 mod @ ZC

56023 #

> BR Blue

> Trainload Coal >> sept 1988 to Withdrawal

Note (1) ~ V type Ariel bracket .. Sept 1988 

Note (2) ~ Depot Plaques fitted 1990

Note (43) ~ BR Arrows fitted 1991

56046 #

> BR Blue

> Railfreight

> Trainload Construction >> March 1989 - April 1993

> Dutch 

Note (1) ~ no Plaque/Arrows 

Note (2) ~ Westbury plaque added #1 end only 1990

Note (3) ~ Westbury Plaque removed 1991

56055 #

> BR Blue 

> Railfreight

> Trainload Construction 

> Loadhaul >> 1995 to Withdrawal 

Note (1) ~ Cantrail grille modification 1995/1996

Note (2) ~ EWS GPS tracker ( I think that what it was )  #2 End  above cab window

56070 #

> BR Blue >> New to November 1989

> Trainload Construction 

> Trainload Unbranded 

> Transrail Grey

Note (1) ~ T type Ariel bracket applied Sept 1988 

Note (2) ~ Never received orange cantrail stripe in this livery (?) 

56074 #

> BR Blue

> Trainload Coal >> September 1988 to April/May 1994

> Loadhaul

Note (1) ~ flashing light still fitted & red Nameplate - no arrows/plaque

Note (2) ~ T type Ariel bracket applied by March 1989

Note (3) ~ plaque/ Arrows applied by July 1990

Note (4) ~ depot Plaques removed 1994

56077 #

> BR Blue

> Railfreight >> February 1986 - June 1990

> Trainload Coal

> Loadhaul

Note (1) ~ T type Ariel bracket applied by Late 1988/early 89

56093 #

> Large Logo 

> Large Logo ( Tinsley Tart ) >> late 1985 - October 1989

> Trainload Coal

> Transrail Grey

Note (1) ~ painted as a full Tinsley Tart late 1985 with large front end numbers 

Note (2) ~ T type Ariel bracket applied by May 1989

56097 #

> Large Logo

> Trainload Coal

> Trainload Metals >> April 1993 - withdrawal

Note (1) ~ metals decals with arrows & coal sector plaque from April 1993

Note (2) ~ Arrows/Plaques removed by 1996

56120 #

> Large Logo >> new to March 1992 

> Trainload Coal

Note (1) ~ small end numbers by 1984

Note (2) ~ orange cantrail stripe by 1987

Note (3) ~ T type Ariel bracket applied by October 1988

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

but I'd be up for the moving Serck radiator vents on a 47, it was such a distinctive feature of the real locos, more so than the spinning fan as you could see the vents open up from normal viewing positions, on powering up, to close again a while later.  With modern micro-servo motors, such as the one employed in the Class 90 pantograph by Bachmann, I would have thought it must be a possibility - but probably too late for the new Heljan model coming out in the next twelve months I suspect.

The bigger problem isn't the servo motors, but engineering a set of radiator vents that are reliable yet are still scale sized and don't require others compromises to overall accuracy - and even if you get that far you can't increase the cost too much.

• Agree 4

36 minutes ago, mdvle said:

The bigger problem isn't the servo motors, but engineering a set of radiator vents that are reliable yet are still scale sized and don't require others compromises to overall accuracy - and even if you get that far you can't increase the cost too much.

Yep, Hornby tried to give the end user choice on bodyside rad-grilles on the 50 (using an awkward tool?).

It'd be a brave manufacturer that'd take the on motorised Spoon Serck rad-slats to a quintessentially toy market.

C6T. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Your right. 

It won’t. 

Gimmick obsession slowly creeping in. 
…….and when it all inevitably ceases to work as intended. 

Cavalex Colas Class 56

56049-Colas-Livery-No1-End-(1).png.bfb29acf0551699c6aef15b50061a135.png

We are pleased to announce Colas 56049 “Robin of Templecombe” as a part of the Cavalex Class 56 range. With 56049 having alternate cabs following damage sustained to the number two end, we are really excited to be producing this present day locomotive. We wanted to provide an option for the modern image modeller to be able to purchase the Cavalex ‘Grid’ - a big thank you to Colas Rail for their help and for working with us to produce this model.

56049-Colas-Livery-No2-End-(1).png.0b885ddca3e7078c4a7645eb4d8bb3c8.png

Features of Cavalex Colas 56049:
- Rubber sealed cab front windows (Number 1 end)
- Partial bufferbeam cowling, side plates removed (Number 1 end)
- Steel cab side windows 
- Diamond mesh side grilles, cantrail grilles and roof grille
- Revised roof grilles (above electrical compartment)
- Distinctive fabricated cab shape (Number 2 end)
- Etched “Robin of Templecombe” name plates
- Alternate cab designs at each end with distinctive Colas high intensity headlight

CM---56049-Colas-Rail-livery.png.f8f1e9ed956437768ce0e442579e9848.png

Please click below for more details on the project, and how to pre-order:

https://www.cavalexmodels.com/cavalex-class-56

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 26/06/2021 at 12:41, big jim said:

what that needs is the sound of the screech of the fan clutch engaging as the fan starts turning, hopefully something you are planning on adding? 

Is it more audible in cab than externally though?